Windows 10: Creating Desktop Shortcut To Website When Using MS Edge

Discus and support Creating Desktop Shortcut To Website When Using MS Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; When using any version of IE Explorer, when viewing a webpage and want to create a desktop shortcut to that webpage I would simply right click just... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by gator2013, Aug 2, 2015.

1. gator2013 Win User

Creating Desktop Shortcut To Website When Using MS Edge

When using any version of IE Explorer, when viewing a webpage and want to create a desktop shortcut to that webpage I would simply right click just about anywhere on the webpage and select Create Desktop Shortcut from the drop-down Menu and Presto a new icon shortcut would appear on the desktop.

However, when using MS- Edge, when I Right Click on any webpage all I get is a small drop down-down menu with no selection to create a Desktop Shortcut. Please don't tell me that MS has removed this feature in Edge and I am just missing something or there is a flaw in my system. I have tried every which way to create a Desktop Shortcut of something I am viewing when using Edge to no avail.

Creating Desktop Shortcut To Website When Using MS Edge [​IMG]

:)

gator2013, Aug 2, 2015

2. Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge

I am using Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge ...

When I was using Windows 8.1 and IE 11 and went to a website and I wanted to create a shortcut of this website on my desktop ... all I did was right click anywhere on the website and chose ... create a shortcut option ...

Now the above action does not appear in Microsoft Edge ...

How do you create a shortcut on your desktop using Microsoft Edge ?

Thanks for any help ...

Kenneth Pincus, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Shortcut

There are two ways I know of:

1. Open the website in Internet Explorer: either start IE instead of Edge and go to the website, or open website in Edge then click ... in top-right-hand-corner below X and choose "open with Internet Explorer." Internet Explorer lets you right-click on the
    website window and select "create shortcut." The shortcut will appear on your desktop.

2. Open the website in Edge, Internet Explorer, Chrome, or whatever, go to the "search or enter web address" box (or whatever it says in the applicable box) and enter or browse the website. Select the URL address and right-click, and copy it.

Go to the desktop and right-click and select New. Select Shortcut. Paste the copied URL, type the URL, or Browse for the location. That puts the URL as a shortcut on the desktop.

I also use the Browse to put files for Word and Excel that I use all of the time on the desktop as shortcuts.

Hope this helps. Microsoft should patch Edge to include the "create shortcut" as a right-click selection. Not so hard to do. MS is trying to make us do it Its way. Us dinosaurs will eventually die out.

TheodoreRaun, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Creating Desktop Shortcut To Website When Using MS Edge

I'm with you on this one!
    So far the only way I have found is to add the page to a reading list by clicking the Star at top right, selecting Reading List and then Add.
    It's not ideal but it's better than nothing.

Another roundabout way is:
    While viewing your wepage in Edge,

Click the three dots at top right
    Choose Open with Internet Explorer

Now you can create your shortcut as you were used to. The shortcut will open in Edge if that's your default browser.

PeterAstle, Aug 19, 2015
  5. Furthermore, IE had a function where you could drag the favicon in the address bar to another location, such as the Desktop. If combined with the shift key, it created a regular shortcut. Otherwise it was a Pinned Site; with the extension .webpage and less useful IMO.

I'm seriously considering swapping back to IE until they fix issues like this.

My original post on this topic Edge: Drag Web Page Shortcut? - Windows 10 Forums

nigelmercier, Aug 23, 2015
  6. It's almost comical that Microsoft enables Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc.. to easily place a shortcut on the Win10 desktop. But you have to follow a multi-step tutorial to create a shortcut for Microsoft's own Edge browser.

AllenChicago, Oct 29, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Creating Desktop Shortcut To Website When Using MS Edge

1. Creating Desktop Shortcut To Website When Using MS Edge - Similar Threads - Creating Desktop Shortcut

2. Wrong Icon shows after creating desktop shortcut to websites with Edge.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong Icon shows after creating desktop shortcut to websites with Edge.: Create a desktop shortcut to websites with Edge as follows: 1. %windir%\explorer.exe microsoft-edge:website path 2. Specify the website icon. But the icon of "Explorer" in Task Manager becomes the icon of the website....
  3. Create a shortcut on desktop with Edge and windows 10

Create a shortcut on desktop with Edge and windows 10: I tried to follow the instructions that were posted here, but when I click on the three dots and box comes up and there is nothing on there about opening with IE or open with anything. Now what do I do?...
  4. Is there a *easy* way to create a Desktop Shortcut in Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    Is there a *easy* way to create a Desktop Shortcut in Edge?: Hi folks - Try as I might, I cannot find an extension enabling me to create a quick webpage desktop shortcut in Edge. You would think that Microsoft would have thought of a simple solution to accomplish this. Any ideas? TIA *Rolleyes 174741
  5. website as a desktop shortcut

website as a desktop shortcut: like my friend i want my website as a desktop shortcut https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/website-as-a-desktop-shortcut/16127ab1-f442-4562-9065-ca4fc7715da8
  6. Create a desktop shortcut in Edge

Create a desktop shortcut in Edge: How can I create a desktop shortcut in Edge? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-a-desktop-shortcut-in-edge/1917c980-a411-4213-96f0-e2d1eef6da9c
  7. Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower

in Browsers and Email
    Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower: Hello everybody, Because of a lot of legacy websites which only support Internet Explorer, IE is still the default browser on all of our machines. However, I need to add a shortcut on the deskop of a few users to a website which only supports Edge. So far, I've found two...
  8. Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower

in Windows 10 Support
    Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower: Hello everybody, Because of a lot of legacy websites which only support Internet Explorer, IE is still the default browser on all of our machines. However, I need to add a shortcut on the deskop of a few users to a website which only supports Edge. So far, I've found two...
  9. Trouble creating a website shortcut on the desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble creating a website shortcut on the desktop: Windows 10. Chrome browser. Can't seem to add website shortcut to the desktop. Search said to left click the icon to the left of the website address & pull it to the desktop, but left-clicking doesn't "grab" the icon....
  10. Create Desktop Shortcut of Website in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Desktop Shortcut of Website in Google Chrome: How to: Create Desktop Shortcut of Website in Google Chrome How to Create a Desktop Shortcut of Website in Google Chrome default web browser. This tutorial will show you how to create a desktop shortcut of a website from within Google Chrome in Windows 7, Windows 8,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. creating web page desk top shortcut edge