Windows 10: Creating one shortcut at desktop, an extra file show up

Discus and support Creating one shortcut at desktop, an extra file show up in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi! *Smile When I create/copy a file to my desktop, a 2nd copy shows up... Location for the files is: Z:\Users\Public\Desktop... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by tomken, Dec 26, 2016.

1. tomken Win User

Creating one shortcut at desktop, an extra file show up

Hi! *Smile

When I create/copy a file to my desktop, a 2nd copy shows up...

Location for the files is:
    Z:\Users\Public\Desktop
    Z:\Users\Y\Desktop

... any tips how to fix this? So only one file appears...?

:)

tomken, Dec 26, 2016

2. Clicking on Shortcut in Quick Access does not go to excepted location

The "Desktop" view that shows extra icons like Libraries/RecycleBin/Network... that's not a real folder (not an actual location on the hard drive), so it can't be pinned.

But perhaps try this: right-click your desktop, create a shortcut to "shell:desktop" (no quotes), and then move that shortcut to your desired resting place.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Dec 26, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Shortcut properties greyed out

Hi Martijn,

Most program shortcuts go directly to the executable file (exe) and these shortcuts can be modified - destination, icon . . .etc.)

Other shortcuts are created by the installation routine, so they can not be modified, they point to a routine to start the program

Imgur

However as show in the image above, which shows the original shortcut properties and one created manually . . .

There is a workaround, locate the exe file in either C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (X86), right click and choose 'Send to - Desktop (create shortcut'

Then you can modify that shortcut . . .

DaveM121, Dec 26, 2016
  4. Creating one shortcut at desktop, an extra file show up

Drive Z is created during an install. Do a restart (reboot) and it will disappear.

lagunasrfr, Dec 26, 2016
  5. tomken Win User
    Didn't work, unfortunately.
    Here is some pictures of the folder I created that gets an almost identical copy.
    The original file I created is at the 1st picture. The weird thing is that when I check properties -> location, it's different from the address bar when I've open the folder.
    But the at the copy(gets exactly the same name) that pops up (2nd picture) properties -> location and address bar "location" matches.
    1st
    Creating one shortcut at desktop, an extra file show up [​IMG]

2nd

When I open Desktop in folder(File Explorer), I get the pictures up that I saved at "desktop", but the files is not showing at my desktop.

Any tips...?

tomken, Jan 2, 2017
  6. tomken Win User
    This somehow suddenly got solved, dno what happen.

tomken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Creating one shortcut at desktop, an extra file show up

1. Creating one shortcut at desktop, an extra file show up - Similar Threads - Creating shortcut desktop

2. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  3. how to create shortcut on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to create shortcut on desktop: I need to create short cuts on my sesk top of URLs and programs frequently used https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-shortcut-on-desktop/7bd2975a-3d10-48f3-94e4-1bc2009430ea
  4. Send to - Desktop (create shortcut)

Send to - Desktop (create shortcut): Basically, i want to remove "send to" from the right click menu and in it's place, just have "Desktop (create shortcut)". So, you right click an icon and can immediately make the shortcut to the desktop without sliding the menu out. i never use any of the other shortcuts and...
  5. create a desktop shortcut for a printer

create a desktop shortcut for a printer: How do I create a desktop shortcut in Windows 10 for a printer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-a-desktop-shortcut-for-a-printer/86732439-44f4-4406-a7c0-de42c5e8a5e4
  6. create shortcut but it doesn't show on desktop

create shortcut but it doesn't show on desktop: In File Explorer>documents, right click an excel file>create shortcut. Noi shortcut is displayed on the desktop. Seems like I've successfully done this numerous times in the past. Hmmm. Any idea what's going on? Thanks. sweettasha...
  7. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...
  8. Create Desktop Shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Create Desktop Shortcut: O.k. I give up...can someone tell me how to create a desktop shortcut ? using Edge browser....also how do you move something from the favourites bar to the desktop?......it must be possible surely ?........Del. 73345
  9. Trouble creating a desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Trouble creating a desktop shortcut: The program WinsSCP comes with 2 executables: WinSCP.exe and WinSCP.com. I am trying to create desktop shortcuts for each. I had no trouble creating one for the .exe file but Windows won't create for the .com file. If I go to its folder, click and drag it to the desktop,...
  10. Create Show Desktop Shortcut in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Show Desktop Shortcut in Windows: How to: Create Show Desktop Shortcut in Windows How to Create a Show Desktop Shortcut in Windows Show desktop can be used to minimize and restore all of your open windows at once. The included Show desktop transparent button is at the end of the notification area on...