Windows 10: Creating Quick Access link to shell:desktop in Explorer

Discus and support Creating Quick Access link to shell:desktop in Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, It appears that when browsing to the desktop via the 'Desktop' Quick Access link in File Explorer, you don't see icons like This PC, Recycle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by E71, Apr 1, 2016.

1. E71
    E71 Win User

Creating Quick Access link to shell:desktop in Explorer

Hi all,

It appears that when browsing to the desktop via the 'Desktop' Quick Access link in File Explorer, you don't see icons like This PC, Recycle Bin, etc.

From reading another thread, I've learned that you'll only see those icons when browsing to shell:desktop.

I tried changing the 'location' property of the Quick Access 'Desktop' link to 'shell:desktop' but it rejected it with error:

"The specified path is invalid."

Anyone know of a way to create a shortcut in Windows 10 to "shell:" commands?

Thanks,
    E.

:)

2. Disable "Quick Access"

To disable Quick Access without breaking drag-drop support, try the edit here:

How To Remove Quick Access, Folders (6) And Other Shell Folders From File Explorer?:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/remove-quick-access-other-shell-folders-file-explorer/

Note that this disables Quick Access functionality, but the Quick Access star icon would be still present, but dimmed and non-expandable. My edit sets the quick access shell folder DWORD to 88000.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Apr 1, 2016
  3. Windows 10 in the File Explorer has an USB listed twice, how do I unlist?

Right-click an empty ares in the nav pane, and uncheck "Show all folders". This gets rid of Desktop namespace (the one at the top of This PC).

To remove the duplicate removable drive-letters, check out post here by BMTRipp:

duplicate usb drives in windows 10 file explorer

which suggests renaming the key "{F5FB2C77-0E2F-4A16-A381-3E560C68BC83}" in these two keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\DelegateFolders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\DelegateFolders

To remove OneDrive, HomeGroup and Quick access, check out the edits at
    Remove Quick access and Other Shell Folders from File Explorer?

Ramesh Srinivasan, Apr 1, 2016
  4. flybynite Win User

Yes, instead of using ShellCreating Quick Access link to shell:desktop in Explorer :Desktop, use Explorer ShellCreating Quick Access link to shell:desktop in Explorer :Desktop.

flybynite, Apr 1, 2016
  5. E71
    E71 Win User
    While you answered my question regarding the creation of a 'shell:' shortcut, and I very much thank you for it, I just realized I was being a big dummy regarding the changing of the shortcut properties.

I thought the 'Location' property was the path to which the shortcut pointed but instead it was for relocating the Desktop folder to somewhere else on the hard drive. *facepalm*

Now I just need a way to slip that 'explorer shell:desktop' shortcut into Quick Access... I'm thinking it's something only modifiable via registry.

E.

6. flybynite Win User
    Most likely, I dump the Quick Access as I prefer Libraries. Can't you just go to your desktop folder, right-click and select Pin to Quick Access?

flybynite, Apr 1, 2016
  7. E71
    E71 Win User
    Unfortunately not since Windows doesn't see it as a shortcut to a path but a shortcut to a program.

It's amazing how many useful features they removed from W10 because they thought we don't need them. *smh*

8. flybynite Win User

Does this have what you want? Code: Windows 10 Help Forums

flybynite, Apr 1, 2016
  9. Edwin New Member
    Navigate to the folder then right click 'Quick Access/Pin current location to Quick Access'.

Creating Quick Access link to shell:desktop in Explorer [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Creating Quick Access link to shell:desktop in Explorer - Similar Threads - Creating Quick Access

2. Explorer&Quick Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer&Quick Access: When you set a folder for quick access, it shows up in both the Explorer HOME folder and navigation barI want quick access folders not to show up in the navigation bar, only in the home folder. What can I do?Edition Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 Installed on ‎11/‎4/‎2022 OS...
  3. Explorer&Quick Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer&Quick Access: When you set a folder for quick access, it shows up in both the Explorer HOME folder and navigation barI want quick access folders not to show up in the navigation bar, only in the home folder. What can I do?Edition Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 Installed on ‎11/‎4/‎2022 OS...
  4. File explorer stuck on Quick access and Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer stuck on Quick access and Desktop: Help. File explorer is not loading. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-stuck-on-quick-access-and-desktop/b1de2a3c-618f-48ee-8396-9a6a2222e72c
  5. File explorer stuck on Quick access and Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer stuck on Quick access and Desktop: Help. File explorer is not loading. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-stuck-on-quick-access-and-desktop/b1de2a3c-618f-48ee-8396-9a6a2222e72c
  6. File explorer stuck on Quick access and Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Quick Access Disappeared Links

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick Access Disappeared Links: File Explorer Quick Access is missing all of the links I added to it, leaving only the default "desktop" "downloads" documents" and “pictures". I’ve been on hold with MS tech support for two and a half hours. Should I just give up and rebuild it? I’d also been having issues...
  8. Creating alternative shortcuts for Explorer's Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating alternative shortcuts for Explorer's Quick Access: I've been using registry tweaks to get rid of a few things from the Explorer navigation panel, and replacing a few of them with Quick Access links instead. I used a trick that I read here on one of the tutorial comments, where creating a folder and renaming it using the...
  9. Quick Access links change

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Access links change: I liked the Windows 7 "Links" section of the file browser. If you can tell me how to mimic the Links behavior, stop reading and provide that and that would be WONDERFUL -- Much thanks in advance. Otherwise... I am testing multiple versions of a piece of software. The...
  10. Windows 10 Desktop Link Missing From *Quick Access View in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Desktop Link Missing From *Quick Access View in File Explorer.: My Desktop Folder/Link under Quick Access is gone and I don't know how to get it back. Under File Explorer, I see it on the left-side window view as the parent: DESKTOP/OneDrive/Lenovo T450s/This PC/Libraries, etc, but when I try to right-click Desktop to "Pin to Quick...