Windows 10: Creating-Renaming Network Folders - Explorer Crashes - Reboot Needed?

Discus and support Creating-Renaming Network Folders - Explorer Crashes - Reboot Needed? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an issue that whenever I create a new folder or try to rename an existing folder in a network directory, the folder window I am in will crash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gator5000e, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Creating-Renaming Network Folders - Explorer Crashes - Reboot Needed?

I have an issue that whenever I create a new folder or try to rename an existing folder in a network directory, the folder window I am in will crash and I have to close the window by clicking the red X in the upper right of the folder window. Whenever this happens, Windows Explorer will crash and then restart. I am hopeful MS fixes this at some point, but for now my question is a follows.

Whenever this happens (Windows Explorer crashes and restarts), do I need close all my open programs and restart my computer or is it enough that Explorer restarted on it's own?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Gator5000e, Oct 9, 2016

2. Explorer Not Responding on File Rename

When I create two or more new folders in Explorer (and leave their names to be "New Folder", "New Folder2", etc) they are created correctly. When I then rename them, the first one renames correctly. Then, with the following folders, either Explorer hangs
    for about 30 seconds before the second folder is renamed or it crashes immediately, leaving the new folder2 with the name "New Folder2".

AndreTerblanche, Oct 9, 2016
  3. Explorer.com on Windows 10 crashes and restarts when I try to create a new folder.

Updated AMD driver, rebooted and it still crashes.

GOOD NEWS, 繁花 solution worked!

I renamed \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...\ShellNew to ...\ShellNewOld, rebooted and the right click to create folders no longer crashes explorer. I have not tried it inside of programs yet.

Question, I know enough about the system registry to be dangerous. What are the possible system issues I might experience by renaming the key? Is there another way I should modify this to prevent instability?

Thank everyone again for the help!

Slate

Slammy_Man, Oct 9, 2016
Thema:

Creating-Renaming Network Folders - Explorer Crashes - Reboot Needed?

1. Creating-Renaming Network Folders - Explorer Crashes - Reboot Needed? - Similar Threads - Creating Renaming Network

2. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  3. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  4. File Explorer Crashes When Creating New Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Crashes When Creating New Folder: Just tonight, File Explorer started crashing every time I tried to create a new folder. I have rebooted my computer several times and tried multiple fixes. None have worked. And yes, this is a Windows 10 Computer I bought just a few months ago....
  5. File Explorer Hanging or Crashing When Creating/Renaming Folders on RDP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer Hanging or Crashing When Creating/Renaming Folders on RDP: I'm a lazy person and I RDP from my home desktop to my work laptop. This is all happening on the same LAN. I believe ever since I was updated to version 2004, anytime I create a new folder or rename a folder, File Explorer either hangs for 5-10 seconds or crashes and...
  6. too long to create new folder or rename folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    too long to create new folder or rename folder: Microsoft - why does it take 30 to 90 seconds to create a new folder or rename it??? please assist us with this issue! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/too-long-to-create-new-folder-or-rename-folder/bf0c626d-5ab8-40a6-aa3e-d71a0efe47f4
  7. File explorer crashes when creating new folder!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer crashes when creating new folder!: this only happens when creating a new folder, and only on my user... Whenever I try it on an alternate account, it doesn't happen... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crashes-when-creating-new-folder/a08bfd61-3538-4a89-87d7-33aa39006a63"
  8. Explorer Freezes Temporarily When Creating a New or Renaming a Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Freezes Temporarily When Creating a New or Renaming a Folder: This has been happening recently. I can't say it is or is not related to the Anniversary Update. But when I create a new folder or rename an existing folder, the folder box will freeze for 30-60 seconds. Sometimes it will then function as normal, sometimes it will require me...
  9. Creating or Renaming a Folder Causes Explorer To Crash

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating or Renaming a Folder Causes Explorer To Crash: These are my issues: When I create a New Folder and try naming it, it freezes, then Explorer will restart. The folder will be made but if I try to rename it, it will do the same thing. When I try deleting that empty folder, the Moving to Recycle bin takes over 30 sec...
  10. File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders: First off. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum *Redface So I have had Windows 10 for a couple of months now, and have never had any issues up until now. Whenever I try to rename a folder/ add new folder file explorer freezes as soon as i touch the keyboard. I've...