Windows 10: Creating shortcuts freeze explorer / create tmp files.

Discus and support Creating shortcuts freeze explorer / create tmp files. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I currently have reformatted & installed Windows 10. I've been having this weird issue where if I rename / create shortcuts my computer will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Macjei, May 11, 2016.

1. Macjei Win User

Creating shortcuts freeze explorer / create tmp files.

Hello, I currently have reformatted & installed Windows 10. I've been having this weird issue where if I rename / create shortcuts my computer will freeze. After about 15-20 seconds, explorer will restart and put files "~ew shortcut.tmp / New shortcut.lnk~RF3cc187.TMP" on my desktop.

I've tried doing a CHKDSK but no errors showed.
    Also tried creating a new user, but that didn't resolve the issue.

Update: I noticed that creating, renaming, deleting shortcuts lags on my C: drive, but not on my E: Drive. But, if I make a new folder / copy a song it has no issues.

Creating shortcuts freeze explorer / create tmp files. [​IMG]

:)

Macjei, May 11, 2016

2. File Explorer freezes when hovering the cursor over the "create" section.

Hello. Recently I noticed that file explorer freezes when I try to create a folder. But to be more specific - just hovering over the "create" section makes the file explorer freeze. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks.

AlexMokoshev, May 11, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Windows 10 Start Menu

It is possible, just the start menu shortcut is corrupt, seeing as you can run the application from Task Manager

You can re-install the application to remedy this or create manual shortcuts:

• Right click the shortcut that does not work, choose 'More' - 'Open file location', this will open Windows File Explorer to the location of the Start Menu shortcuts
    • Open another File Explorer Window and navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\ Adobe Design Premium
    • Create and copy the required shortcuts to the initial File Explorer window

DaveM121, May 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, can you try this in Safe Mode and report the result please?

Since reinstalling Win 10 have you installed any programs or changed any settings?

Have a look at your Reliabilty History - inspect the x's, and report any significant ones that might point to what seems to be an explorer crash.

dalchina, May 12, 2016
  5. Macjei Win User
    Thank you for your reply. Here are my results in the Reliability Monitor. - I haven't installed much programs since reinstalling, other then Anti-virus and Chrome.

Update: Seems like deleting shortcuts will also cause hang time.

Macjei, May 12, 2016
  6. Macjei Win User
    I can't believe this! I was trying every possible thing, then I thought to myself...I wonder what would happen if i disable my Anti-Virus. (I'm using 360 Total Security). As soon as I disabled that, I was able to make shortcuts no problem, no crashes, nothing.

Back to Avast I go!

Macjei, May 12, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Sometimes a random thought works.. another AV incompatibility.. (oddly enough I'm using Avast... which in the early days of Win 10 had a problem or two)

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Creating shortcuts freeze explorer / create tmp files. - Similar Threads - Creating shortcuts freeze

2. Random .tmp file being created on startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random .tmp file being created on startup.: I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I'm having this random .tmp file created on startup. If i try to delete the latest one created it says I can't because its in use in System. Is this something to worry about? Here are screenshots of my things as...
  3. Random .tmp file being created on startup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random .tmp file being created on startup.: I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I'm having this random .tmp file created on startup. If i try to delete the latest one created it says I can't because its in use in System. Is this something to worry about? Here are screenshots of my things as...
  4. Create A Shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create A Shortcut: I would like to create a shortcut that would be placed on my desktop. I have logged onto a webpage and want to create a shortcut. How do I do that? Thanks for any help with this,...
  5. Create A Shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create A Shortcut: I would like to create a shortcut that would be placed on my desktop. I have logged onto a webpage and want to create a shortcut. How do I do that? Thanks for any help with this,...
  6. Creating Files on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating Files on File Explorer: I was wondering if it is possible to save a pre made folder when creating a new folder in file explorer so you wouldn't have to make the same folder every time?For example : I create a new folder with in that folder is nothing but I add new folders with there subjective...
  7. Create shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create shortcut: Dell Inspiron 15 3505 laptop with WIndows 10 Build 19042.685 Today I have added Foobar2000, via Microsoft Store, to the laptop. I am having difficulty finding how to create a shortcut on for Foobar2000. I cannot find the exe either; I would use this to create a shortcut if...
  8. Directory Write Test tmp files created

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory Write Test tmp files created: Every once in a while, empty "Directory Write Test (...).tmp" files are added under "C:". Like "Directory Write Test (6008).tmp", "Directory Write Test (12880).tmp", ... It never stops. Googling tmp and "Directory Write Test", I don't find any clue. What could that be ?...
  9. create shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    create shortcuts: How do I create a shortcut easily as was done in earlier programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-shortcuts/31eee41e-7dfe-4726-bff4-c5ea4af40c28
  10. Creating a reg file or shortcut.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a reg file or shortcut.: Is there any way I can create shortcut or reg file to enable/disable a rule of Inbound and Outbound of Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security? submitted by /u/npc73 [link] [comments]...