Windows 10: Creating System Image Backup Issues

Discus and support Creating System Image Backup Issues in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a Toshiba 1 tb external hard drive and my issue is this, I reformatted the drive to NTFS to have a fresh disk to use. That went fine; it shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by tazmo8448, Sep 18, 2015.

1. tazmo8448 Win User

Creating System Image Backup Issues

I have a Toshiba 1 tb external hard drive and my issue is this, I reformatted the drive to NTFS to have a fresh disk to use. That went fine; it shows in Disk Management, it shows in Device Manager, it shows in This PC...BUT....it does not show in Create System Image. When I go to File History in Control Panel it is listed as Disconnected, Backup Size Not Available with a red ''X'' on the icon. I can copy paste things into it and the properties when I right click the icon in My PC look normal. Ran a disk check and it came back fine. I reformatted the disk because even though I was showing over 400 gb free to use it would reject the system image saying there wasn't enough room for a 38 gb image, therefore the reformat was done in hopes all 931 gb (thats what 1 tb gets ya) would surely be enough for a 38 gb image.
    SFC /SCANNOW ran in CMD prompt shows no integrity issues. I'm really at a loss as to why the disk is listed in every catagory except the one I want to use.

I'm wondering if making it a Page File along with Healthy, Active and Primary is the link that is missing. In the Disk Management Properties it wouldn't allow me to change the settings to cache-write.

BTW I run everything as Administrator.

:)

tazmo8448, Sep 18, 2015

2. creating system image backup

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you deactivate one of the active partitions first before performing the image backup. You can check the steps to deactivate the partition on this link:

How to deactivate an active partition?

We strongly recommend that you perform a full backup before doing this procedure.

Let us know how it goes.

Loraine Mon, Sep 18, 2015
  3. JSFCHD Win User
    creating system image backup

Yes, your are right. Issue persists for external hard drive as well as computer.

JSFCHD, Sep 18, 2015
  4. tazmo8448 Win User

I was able to get it going by going back to File History and going to Change Settings, it allowed me to re-set the parameters to use my external HDD and while making a backup there was a check box to also include 'make a system image'...thanks all and file this one away as solved hopefully it may help someone else down the road. Windows 10 BTW uses the same Windows 7 utility and even labels it as such.

tazmo8448, Sep 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Creating System Image Backup Issues - Similar Threads - Creating System Image

2. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create A System Image Backup: I'm trying to create a system image backup of my Windows 10 machine in case something goes wrong with one of its components, and unfortunately it says "Backup failed. Not enough disk space.". This is despite the fact that my external hard drive has 2.34 TB of free disk space,...
  3. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create A System Image Backup: I'm trying to create a system image backup of my Windows 10 machine in case something goes wrong with one of its components, and unfortunately it says "Backup failed. Not enough disk space.". This is despite the fact that my external hard drive has 2.34 TB of free disk space,...
  4. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Create a backup system image

Create a backup system image: Having a real issue with creating a backup system image on my wife's laptop.The last one was created January 23, 2022 with no problems but we have tried about five times and it completes to about 97% and then stalls. Looking at it, the backup is shown as still working but we...
  6. Create a backup system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a backup system image: Having a real issue with creating a backup system image on my wife's laptop.The last one was created January 23, 2022 with no problems but we have tried about five times and it completes to about 97% and then stalls. Looking at it, the backup is shown as still working but we...
  7. Create a backup system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Create backup system image

Create backup system image: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  9. Issue Creating System Image Backup

Issue Creating System Image Backup: I'm trying to create a system image backup, and it is continuously failing and giving the following message: Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition (ESP). This may happen if another application is using files on the ESP. Please retry the...
  10. Creating System Image Backup Issues

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Creating System Image Backup Issues: I made a thread here some time ago in trying to create a System Image (Sys Img) using a 3.0USB 1 TB Toshiba External HDD. My issue is it runs then stops with errors and creates blank folders in the ExtHDD. @essenbe this is the fella you were having discussions with on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. create system image looking for backup device