Windows 10: Creating System Image Backup Issues

Discus and support Creating System Image Backup Issues in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I made a thread here some time ago in trying to create a System Image (Sys Img) using a 3.0USB 1 TB Toshiba External HDD. My issue is it runs then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by tazmo8448, Oct 22, 2015.

1. tazmo8448 Win User

Creating System Image Backup Issues

I made a thread here some time ago in trying to create a System Image (Sys Img) using a 3.0USB 1 TB Toshiba External HDD. My issue is it runs then stops with errors and creates blank folders in the ExtHDD.
    @essenbe this is the fella you were having discussions with on YouTube (Sam)

seems I'm not the only one with Sys Img issues with W10 after discussing it with friends online.

:)

tazmo8448, Oct 22, 2015

2. creating system image backup

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you deactivate one of the active partitions first before performing the image backup. You can check the steps to deactivate the partition on this link:

How to deactivate an active partition?

We strongly recommend that you perform a full backup before doing this procedure.

Let us know how it goes.

Loraine Mon, Oct 22, 2015
  3. JSFCHD Win User
    creating system image backup

Yes, your are right. Issue persists for external hard drive as well as computer.

JSFCHD, Oct 22, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

I honestly have never tried with windows system image, but I will just to see if it will create one. Try using Macrium Reflect (free). This will show you how. Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Help Forums In the mean time, I will see if windows system image works for me. The tutorial is on a Windows 7, but it works the same on 10.

essenbe, Oct 22, 2015
  5. essenbe Win User
    I get a different error message, but I can't create a system image with Windows. I use Macrium and Paragon and have no problems with either one.

essenbe, Oct 22, 2015
  6. tazmo8448 Win User
    Thanks essenbe. There seems to be a glitch with W10 Sys Img. Had no issues with W7 in the past. Macrium looks like a port in the storm at the moment.

tazmo8448, Oct 23, 2015
  7. essenbe Win User
    Macrium is what I use. I use Paragon also. I'm paranoid maybe, but I never trust 1 imaging program. Those two are great programs, but even the best don't work occasionally. That's why I didn't even know Windows imaging didn't work, I never use it. But, there may very well be an issue with it in Windows 10. I have the guy who wrote the tutorial (System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums) checking into it. Maybe he can find what the problem is.

essenbe, Oct 23, 2015
  8. tazmo8448 Win User

Thanks again. I think this new OS has some issues being so new that other OS's don't reflect on. I have a hunch M$ doesn't want us to do it or at the least left that ability to do it out. W10 has a thing called File History that we use to call Backup but I don't use that either and prefer to put things on thumb drives. I have moved away from using DVDs and have gone strictly to USBs...a lot less moving parts. I see where Macrium was requiring DVDs if I understood the video correctly and was hoping that could be worked around using USBs.
    Using Windows Sys Img in the past was simple you clicked on it then it made it and it was mountable in VHD if you needed to go back and 'cherry pick' files and programs at a later date for one reason or another. It was also good if you had just created a fresh OS install to make one to fall back on, rather that go through the reformat, and start from scratch again deal.
    Hope your friend does indeed find out why it isn't as easy as it once was.

tazmo8448, Oct 23, 2015
  9. essenbe Win User
    I hope he does too, but his works fine. So, it's going to be hard for him to figure out why it doesn't work when it does work on his machine. Macrium recovery can be put on a USB drive. It's much, much more flexible than Windows, and you can mount the image too as well as clone with it. I've found little I want to do that I can't do with Macrium. Try using the winPE recovery. When you create it, you are asked whether you want a CD or a USB drive. It takes a little bit of a download for the winPE, but I think it is worth it. You can even create an image of a drive from the recovery USB.

essenbe, Oct 23, 2015
  10. tazmo8448 Win User
    It takes me a spell to use something as I for some reason have to 'understand' it before I plunge into it...the word 'plodding' comes to mind. This winPE recovery thing is that something I need to install to make Macrium interface better or something that makes windows work better rather than just using Macrium to install an image directly to my exteral HD?

tazmo8448, Oct 23, 2015
  11. essenbe Win User
    No, it's the recovery drive you use if your system won't boot or your OS drive dies and needs to be replaced. You boot into the recovery drive, which is basically a fully functional Macrium program

essenbe, Oct 23, 2015
  12. adamson Win User
    No issues with external WD drive making an image via Win 10. Issue with partition on same pc/laptop...that method now fails and did not in Win 7.

adamson, Oct 23, 2015
  13. essenbe Win User

Maybe I have misunderstood you, but you never store an image on the same drive you imaged. Windows 10 won't let you do it, I'm pretty sure. If your drive dies, so does your image.

essenbe, Oct 23, 2015
  14. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Oct 23, 2015
  15. tazmo8448 Win User
    @topgundcp thanks that is good to have too i.e. putting it on a bootable partition on another internal drive and just to be on the safe side will do that and create a USB sys img.

To tell y'all the truth since 2010 each and every time I have for one reason or another had issues with the OS and needed a sys img to put it back to where it was, they have never worked for me (windows method that is) and have had to always do a reformat and start from scratch. I've lost my MBR somehow and found a site that charged $20 to create one that still didn't work. It would boot but not to my OS whatta joke that was (on me of course) falling for that.
    ~essenbe~ topgundcp~thanks for taking the time and doing what you do. Going to try and create a sys img using Macrium & winPE together. One on a external and one on another internal; redundency now ya just never know now do ya.

tazmo8448, Oct 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Creating System Image Backup Issues - Similar Threads - Creating System Image

2. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create A System Image Backup: I'm trying to create a system image backup of my Windows 10 machine in case something goes wrong with one of its components, and unfortunately it says "Backup failed. Not enough disk space.". This is despite the fact that my external hard drive has 2.34 TB of free disk space,...
  3. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create A System Image Backup: I'm trying to create a system image backup of my Windows 10 machine in case something goes wrong with one of its components, and unfortunately it says "Backup failed. Not enough disk space.". This is despite the fact that my external hard drive has 2.34 TB of free disk space,...
  4. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Create a backup system image

Create a backup system image: Having a real issue with creating a backup system image on my wife's laptop.The last one was created January 23, 2022 with no problems but we have tried about five times and it completes to about 97% and then stalls. Looking at it, the backup is shown as still working but we...
  6. Create a backup system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a backup system image: Having a real issue with creating a backup system image on my wife's laptop.The last one was created January 23, 2022 with no problems but we have tried about five times and it completes to about 97% and then stalls. Looking at it, the backup is shown as still working but we...
  7. Create a backup system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Create backup system image

Create backup system image: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  9. Issue Creating System Image Backup

Issue Creating System Image Backup: I'm trying to create a system image backup, and it is continuously failing and giving the following message: Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition (ESP). This may happen if another application is using files on the ESP. Please retry the...
  10. Creating System Image Backup Issues

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Creating System Image Backup Issues: I have a Toshiba 1 tb external hard drive and my issue is this, I reformatted the drive to NTFS to have a fresh disk to use. That went fine; it shows in Disk Management, it shows in Device Manager, it shows in This PC...BUT....it does not show in Create System Image. When I...