Windows 10: Creating two different printer drivers on the same printer?

Discus and support Creating two different printer drivers on the same printer? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I work in IT doing Help Desk/Support for a company. We want to give standard users restricted assess to a printer. If they are a manager they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sinfulangle, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Creating two different printer drivers on the same printer?

Hi,

I work in IT doing Help Desk/Support for a company.

We want to give standard users restricted assess to a printer. If they are a manager they can print in colour, but if they are just a standard staff member they only get the option to print in black & white.

An example would be using a black & white driver for a colour printer. People who print to the Black & White device driver won't have the option for colour.

Is this possible and how so using Windows 10 & 7.

Thank you.

:)

sinfulangle, Jun 3, 2016
  2. Tom-Con Win User

Windows print problem. Every Time! Printer prints job, but on PC it still says "Printing" and no additional job will print.

As i said, this is with two different printers on two different networks. So it does not seem possible that BOTH different printer drivers failed at the same time. It must be a WINDOWS problem, not a printer-driver problem.

Any other suggestions for a WINDOWS fix for this vexing situation?

Thanks!

Tom-Con, Jun 3, 2016
  3. Tom-Con Win User
    Windows print problem. Every Time! Printer prints job, but on PC it still says "Printing" and no additional job will print.

As i described, this is happening with TWO DIFFERENT printers on two different networks. So, it cannot be a printer problem or a network problem.

It does not seem possible that two different printer drivers failed at the same time. The problem MUST be at the WINDOWS level if it is happening with multiple printers.

Any other ideas for something to fix at the WINDOWS level?

Thanks!

Tom-Con, Jun 3, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

Creating two different printer drivers on the same printer?

I'm a Windows 7 person, however, perhaps I can give an educated guess. For the managers, create a color printer using the printer's provided drivers [or let Windows Update get them]. For the standard user, create a black and white printer coming as close to the specs of the color printer as possible. Let's say Zumba 2000A is the color printer. Give the managers Zumba 2000A. Give the standard users Zumba 1000A, the black and white printer. You will need to test from standard users' computers to see if this idea will work for each standard user. For a different reason, I did that once. I "created" an HP Laser Series II "printer" [which WU generously supplied the drivers for] , then installed my Brother HL-1440 [again WU generously provided the drivers for this printer also]. Solved my printing problem. Awhile later, finally, I was able to jettison both printers and just install the Brother printer correctly.

RolandJS, Jun 3, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    It cannot be done. Everything needs to be loaded by a script when they log into the domain. If the drivers are pre-installed for the printer that the section their workstation is located in. Along with if all of the printers should be all the same models and generation. No one is allowed to roam out to a printer server outside of the area they work in. There is not much else.

You really do not and have never needed two drivers for the same device.

bro67, Jun 3, 2016
  6. RolandJS Win User
    bro67, what the thread starter wants to do: managers use X printer for color printing, standard users use X printer for only black and white printing. The only way to "split the printer into color and into blackNwhite" is to have X printer functioning as two printers, with two sets of drivers, one set "Zumba 2000A" for the managers, the other set "Zumba 1000A" for standard users. One physical printer available to all, just "split into two sofware-wise."

RolandJS, Jun 3, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Roland I know what the OP wants and it cannot be done. They need to have a Color Printer restrcted to the Management group that would only need access to it. For employees, they just need to restrict them to a Laser Printer for that group.

For example. In all of the offices that I worked at, only one had the printers set up to sections of four on each floor.

Each Section could hold up to 20 people, so you had a Laser in a pod of 50 users and a fallover if the main went offline.

Your workstation was setup with a GPO and a script, that when you moved to a certain "Pod". You could not access say the printer in your old pod, unless it was the fallover.

So basically you can do Management to have a Laser and a Color. But you cannot give the users Black and White only on a Color Inkjet or laser, because th way that the drivers are set up.

Now I can if I wanted to in a Samba Server, restrict users to not be able to manage their printer settings and only the administrator that has access to the CUPS webpage or Zentyal server can only make the changes.

We are talking about stuff that you do not get into at the basic level for what the OP is talking about. We are talking higher level when it comes to knowing how to do this properly, without causing other issues.

bro67, Jun 3, 2016
  8. RolandJS Win User

"...We are talking about stuff that you do not get into at the basic level for what the OP is talking about. We are talking higher level when it comes to knowing how to do this properly, without causing other issues..." bro67
    bro67, you're right as rain! I was thinking back to my old Novell/WFW3.11 network days, back when Fred Flintstone and I would create our documents upon stone tablets. Everything is so different now! Thanks for the nice reminder! *Smile

RolandJS, Jun 4, 2016
  9. Surely this is possible. My boss said his done this before. He wants me to work it out by myself though. He said I'm allowed to post on the forums for help! Creating two different printer drivers on the same printer? :p

Come on guys, we can do this!

sinfulangle, Jun 4, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Your boss is bsing you. It cannot be done in any way, unless you are using a Linux Server running CUPS.

bro67, Jun 5, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    RolandJs oh those were the days. Walk down to some other section, because wither the printer was down, or someone decided to print out a whole volume of every code ran in the past Century.

Even more fun was finding out that you could not get your print job to run, because you have 12 others in front of it, with only two printers available, unless you want to go to another building or in my case, it was walk clear across the ship and up to the Data unit and have them run the job, if they were not running checks.

bro67, Jun 5, 2016
  12. RolandJS Win User
    sinfulangle: reworking a piece of my earlier post: ...what I'm suggesting is that "you lie" [*] to at least each standard users' computer as to what that one single printer is on the network:
    Managers use X printer for color printing,
    standard users use the same X printer for only black and white printing.
    The only way to "split that one X printer into color and into blackNwhite" is to have that one X printer functioning:
    -- as "two printers"
    -- I think within "Add Printer," installing printer drivers:
    -- one set of drivers "Zumba 2000AColor" [*] on the managers' PCs -- aimed at that one single X printer
    -- the other set of drivers "Zumba 1000AB&W" [*] on the standard users' PCs -- aimed at that one single X printer
    One physical printer, available to all, Zumba 2000A color icon on managers' PCs,
    That same one physical printer, available to all, Zumba 1000A B&W icon on standard users' PCs.

for sinfulangle: IF the above can be done, do it, test it. Make sure each computer with its own set of drivers actually prints to that one single printer; managers=color, std users=B&W.
    "To lie" may not work at all!! If such tactics will not work on networks, so be it.
    If the above cannot be done, well, In Search Of [Finding Nimoy] continues!

RolandJS, Jun 5, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

RolandJS, this post is almost word for word from one posted in 2010 on a Stackexchange post.

The only problem is that unless you lock everyone down to not make any system changes. There are ways around the lock to fool the printer.

Most color printers do not use just Black and White. They will also use the color for shades of Gray.

bro67, Jun 5, 2016
  14. RolandJS Win User
    "...Most color printers do not use just Black and White. They will also use the color for shades of Gray..."
    bro67, networks have changed from my earlier days *Smile Yes, many many printers use color for shades of gray. I guess the thread starter will continue the search for an answer that may not exist.

RolandJS, Jun 6, 2016
  15. Barman58 Win User
    Both of my current printers, an Ink-Jet and a full colour laser, use the CMYK system, As do most colour printers that I have used over many years. The do have the option of mixing the colour Inks to produce an approximation of Black and White, (greyscale), these are often not a great approximation, with a lot of colour cast issues.

Normally both printers will, if set to print in black and white or greyscale, just use the Black Ink / Toner and dithering to provide a true grey scale image, (as you would expect to get from a monochrome printer ), They are often using micro dot print head to mix within the "pixel" size that they are stated to work at

To aid in this Black & White and greyscale requirement the black cartridge is more that twice the size of the colour cartridges, as most prints will be black text only *Smile

As for the original question it should be possible by the use of permissions, ( if the printer driver is sophisticated enough).

set up the print driver to print in greyscale but only give managers permissions to change settings on the print driver. I'm sure that a number of printers I have used in business applications had network drivers that could be synchronised with the Active Directory groups used in the company

Barman58, Jun 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Creating two different printer drivers on the same printer? - Similar Threads - Creating different printer

2. Cannot print for two same model printer on same time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot print for two same model printer on same time: Hi, I am using Windows 11 Pro, I had two same model printer Panasonic KX-P1121 installed on my pc with two difference name "Panasonic KX-P1121" and "Panasonic KX-P1121 USB". Both of it connected by two difference USB port. I had some documents want to print, I send to print...
  3. Cannot print for two same model printer on same time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot print for two same model printer on same time: Hi, I am using Windows 11 Pro, I had two same model printer Panasonic KX-P1121 installed on my pc with two difference name "Panasonic KX-P1121" and "Panasonic KX-P1121 USB". Both of it connected by two difference USB port. I had some documents want to print, I send to print...
  4. Print the same document to two printers simultaneously

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Print the same document to two printers simultaneously: I have a Sharp printer with two paper trays. I have one Windows 10 computer that prints the same document to both trays simultaneously. It uses two configured printers called "Invoice" and "Plain". The configured port is set to: Port - 192.168.1.151; Description - Standard...
  5. Print the same document to two printers simultaneously

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Print the same document to two printers simultaneously: I have a Sharp printer with two paper trays. I have one Windows 10 computer that prints the same document to both trays simultaneously. It uses two configured printers called "Invoice" and "Plain". The configured port is set to: Port - 192.168.1.151; Description - Standard...
  6. Print the same document to two printers simultaneously

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Using two printers on same computer.

Using two printers on same computer.: Why does it take sooo long to remove the first print job and start the second? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-two-printers-on-same-computer/8d931ef8-2534-4c7a-aa8d-9538eb03cc33
  8. Two printers with different settings is not being used

Two printers with different settings is not being used: Hi I have two printer, the only different is that one is set to portrait mode, and the other is landscape mode. Portrait mode printer is the default printer, and when trying to print to landscape printer, then portrait mode is used. I have to change the orientation in the...
  9. How to create a printer driver

How to create a printer driver: Hi All, I have a old cannon d880 printer that is in great shape and Id like to use with windows 10. Cannon stopped supporting this model as for driver upgrades for any system except windows xp. Im trying to avoid filling the local landfill with yet another outdated piece...
  10. Two icons for same laser printer

Two icons for same laser printer: Up until the April 2018 update, I have always been able to setup two icons for my Brother HL-2270DW laser printer. One set to Duplex, the other set to non-Duplex. This has worked out well for me and my wife, especially for her. Can't doe it any more. See here in sevenforums:...