Windows 10: Creator Update - can it be rejected?

Discus and support Creator Update - can it be rejected? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Firstly I should say I am a computer lay person. Is there any way to permanently reject this update? Turning updates off is obviously not a good idea.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JW05, Jul 7, 2017.

1. JW05 Win User

Creator Update - can it be rejected?

Firstly I should say I am a computer lay person. Is there any way to permanently reject this update? Turning updates off is obviously not a good idea. Not clear how to use WUSHOWHIDE to firstly see this, and can it be permanently Hidden so as not to install?

Thanks for any help.

:)

JW05, Jul 7, 2017
  2. Rroff Win User

How can we STOP the Fall Creator Update? It is failing and causing my PC to be unusable.

For some people this works - go into disk cleanup and use the administrator option to remove old/backup previous installation files - this should then let you put the next update on unless its failing due to specific hardware issues, etc.

Yeah the Windows update functionality in 10 is utterly daft and moronic - if nothing else it lacks real life contextual awareness so to be authoritative over how the PC behaves is stupid. Wouldn't care if it was the default behaviour but at least let me
    take control of that as a power user (even if it means putting up the money for the professional edition) without resorting to nasty hacks and/or 3rd party programs and reducing my security that way.

Another one here taking a long hard look at going the Linux route in future - I use it a bit to dabble but due to gaming, etc. its not really been a consideration before.

I'm not gonna honey coat this its way past time changes were made on this front - I howled with laughed when I saw "active hours" as an implementation - since when does anyone live a fixed schedule 7 days a week? or I dunno maybe as a hobbyist you are using
    your PC for something like driving a 3D printer where you can running prints (where interruptions will result in lost work, etc.) that considerably exceed the active hours window. Utter stupidity.

EDIT: I'm unapologetic about being blunt and even rude - the lack of vision and experience is destroying what could be an excellent OS - I mean take the start menu for instance - in theory a nice evolution of what we had in 7 that should be flexible and
    dynamic enough to scale between a simple menu through to a full screen like 8 implementation even with gadgets, etc. as the user desired or needed for a specific setup - instead we have a lack of things like group management, ability to customise icons i.e.
    use something non-default for a program and tiles (background style and/or transparency) and so on - a lot of lessons could be learnt from both Windows 3.1 and the Android home screen how that could work so much better.

Rroff, Jul 7, 2017
  3. Miss Pita Win User
    How can we STOP the Fall Creator Update? It is failing and causing my PC to be unusable.

I totally agree. Now, my PC isn't messed up, but it does try to install the fall update at least twice a day. I let it run through several times, and it
    always failed. Every time it now starts, I stop it & then uninstall the 'windows assistant'. What a pain! Since it can't install, why does it keep trying? My windows version is 1511. I even reset this PC in hopes it would go back to
    Win 7, but it re-installed Win 10. Argh!

Why isn't there a way to prevent it from trying to install??

Miss Pita, Jul 7, 2017
  4. Creator Update - can it be rejected?

Hi JW05. Welcome to the TenForums @JW05

What version and build are you currently on? (Windows key + R, type winver, enter)

Can I ask why you want to reject the Creators Update? If you don't wish to answer don't.

Here is a link that may be of interest.

Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 7, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    Not having any problems on my Desktops, Notebooks or Tablets with the latest CU Version 1703 Build 15063.447. There is another Version Upgrade coming this fall, maybe waiting for that?

Berton, Jul 7, 2017
  6. JW05 Win User
    Hello Ken, thanks for the reply. Version 1607, build 14393.1358

I suppose it's because I just like things simple and I don't want/need what Creator is offering. Also somewhat put
    off by things which might go wrong installing this and I don't have the know how to resolve. I just find W10 a pain not being able to select downloads, rather having everything forced on me.

Yes, it was that tutorial which prompted me to download WUSHOWHIDE, but I do not follow how you use it to block an update. Will the update 1703 appear in one of the options and I check or uncheck to hide it?

Is it just my PC, or do characters not appear when typing sometimes, so you have to go back and redo?

Thanks.

JW05, Jul 7, 2017
  7. You can go to windows update advanced options and choose pause new updates

Creator Update - can it be rejected? [​IMG]

Josey Wales, Jul 7, 2017
  8. Creator Update - can it be rejected?

JW05 have a look at Macrium Reflect. This gives you a path back and I'm pretty sure you have 7 or 10 days to go back.

I hear you on the updates but if you read this board you will see plenty of members with update issues at the current level. As to taking them in large chunks, that is the way everyone delivers although they ask if you want and you can delay almost forever. I have Apple phone, every update, which has security updates, has a bunch of other stuff which can be equated to putting a single bullet in a revolver and giving it a spin.

You know what they say. "The only constant is change".

If you do the Creator update be patient, I think a lot of wounds are self inflicted, that and people have lots of add ins to change, tweak or alter Windows. As well if you do the update be sure you have your data backed up off machine.

Can't answer if 1703 will show, I'm a big believer in doing updates so I haven't tried. Hopefully another member will have first hand experience.

Caledon Ken, Jul 7, 2017
  9. DavidY Win User
    If you reject this update, then before too long the updates will stop.

The first version of Windows 10 was released in July 2015, just under 2 years ago, and is already out of support as far as updates go.

So if you succeed in rejecting the Creators' Update you would find that the version you have would drop out of support in a year or two, assuming Microsoft don't change their policy.

DavidY, Jul 7, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Your choice, but I have had no problems after upgrading 1607 to Creators Update (1703).

Do you have Home or Pro? If it's Pro you can defer features updates - which is what the Creators Update is.

If it's Home, then wushowhide is your only option. My System Two in 'my computers' below is a test machine which has system images for all versions of Windows 10. For the earlier versions like 1511 and 1607 I use wushowhide to keep it on that version, so I am familiar with it's use.

You cannot hide an update until it appears in Windows Update when you check for updates. You cannot hide a features update once it has started downloading, so it is essential you set a 'metered connection' before you check for updates.

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10
    Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10

When you see the 'Features update to Windows 10, version 1703' appear in windows update, then you can run wushowhide to hide it. Once hidden, you should restart your PC. You can now turn off 'metered connections' if you wish.

Note that when 1703 is declared 'Current Branch for Business' this effectively reissues the features update. If you still want to delay it you will have to hide the reissued update.

@Josey Wales - ironically (for a thread about hiding 1703) your screenshot is from 1703 Pro and demonstrates the big improvements to Pro's update options that came in with the Creators Update. *Smile

11. That is what I was running at the time..*Wink

Josey Wales, Jul 7, 2017
  12. Samuria Win User
    With all the ransomware encrypting PC all over the world it's not wise to block updates ms claim fully up-to-date 10 systems are safe from ransom ware so you should take that into account before blocking if you have an image you can role back from needed

Samuria, Jul 7, 2017
  13. JW05 Win User

OK thanks one and all for the input, but I really don't understand what you are talking about.

Guess I just have to accept the inevitable!

14. Berton Win User
    I guess one could always go with an Apple machine where there is no alert or choice when an update to the OS is available, just gets installed and doesn't really care if one is doing anything. I've never lost anything with that process since 2010. I have had all the Upgraded versions of Mac OS X since Snow Leopard that came with my MacBook Pro. The latest is macOS Sierra, they've dropped the X probably because it signifies 10. The last few version Upgrades have also become free. I haven't found any big problems transitioning to Mac and back to Windows, even to Linux Mint. Regarding updates, Linux is less intrusive on a daily/weekly/monthly basis to what one is doing.

Berton, Jul 7, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    Bottom line: Few of us have had problems with Creators Update, it looks little different from 1607. If you wait until it is offered to you through Windows Update then you will know that your machine is regarded by Microsoft as passing the compatibility tests.

While you're waiting, make a system image of the current system so you can restore it should you encounter problems. Actually, it's good practice to make regular system images anyway, just in case your hard drive fails. Most here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) for that purpose.

Thema:

1. Creator Update - can it be rejected? - Similar Threads - Creator Update rejected

2. Can I reject some client DNS updates?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I reject some client DNS updates?: We have a lot of multi-homed Windows clients, especially due to VPN connections. Is there any way to reject client DNS updates due to various criteria, either the IP address of the client or the IP address of the record? Thanks....
  3. Creator's Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creator's Update: What is Creator's Update? And How can I get that? Are Insider Program and Creator's Update Same https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/creators-update/1d440c83-6041-478b-9874-b651a8224bd1
  4. Creators Update.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Creators Update.: How will I know when the Creator's Update has been installed please? Presumably it appears in Settings/Update and Security but is it identifiable? 86408
  5. Creators Update

Creators Update: I don't particularly want to do a manual download but am I the only one that hasn't received the Creator's Update yet? I also read somewhere that certain applications running on a computer might stop the update from downloading. 89939
  6. creator update

creator update: It appears that the creator update has me in its crosshairs. From what little I could find out the only thing I am interested in is the improved edge. Can all the other features be uninstalled or at least ignored. 86852
  7. creators update :drivers

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    creators update :drivers: does the windows 10 creators update occupy drivers so it's possible after a creators update the bsod will disappaer or is it not recommended to do a creators update on a system with bsod? 84564
  8. Win10 creators update - can i opt out of it?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 creators update - can i opt out of it?: I ask because i only have 406GB out of 465GB. And keeping track of memory usage is high priority. Although i do have one big system update set to install later today, its on hold... 92558
  9. Creators update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Creators update: I installed the creators update some months ago that helped solving some of the problems I had with windows. But after windows crashed and I had to reinstall it, I can no longer seem to get the creators update to work. I just get a message that says "thank you for updating...
  10. creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    creators update: I was wondering if anyone is having trouble with the creators update? I installed it on a desktop and laptop. The laptop seems ok with it. The desktop appeared ok at first, but after a couple of days things started happening. Keyboard would freeze, chrome with bing started...