Windows 10: Creator Update confusion

Discus and support Creator Update confusion in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I look at Settings/System/About, it tells me that I'm on Version 1703. When I go into Windows Update and look at Update History, it tells me that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RhinoCan, Dec 31, 2017.

1. RhinoCan Win User

Creator Update confusion

When I look at Settings/System/About, it tells me that I'm on Version 1703. When I go into Windows Update and look at Update History, it tells me that 1709 has been installed but needs a reboot to finish installing. I've rebooted twice but the version in About still tells me I'm on Version 1703.

What do I need to do to complete the update to 1709?

:)

RhinoCan, Dec 31, 2017

2. Will lumia 730 get anniversary update if on preview ring?

The Anniversary Update is available for your phone. You are getting it confused with the Creators Update, which will be available only on selected 13 phones.

Stranger_Hanyo, Dec 31, 2017
  3. Kol-12 Win User
    Windows 10 start menu missing icon

I'm confused. You said this issue became apparent to you after installing the Creators Update, now your saying the issue was fixed by installing the Creators Update, that is big change...

This issue most definitely became apparent to me with the Creators Update only, not the previous version. I'm yet to try a couple more solutions but I would not say this is fixed.

Kol-12, Dec 31, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Creator Update confusion

Hello, RhinoCan. Just to be sure > Did you watch it update to 1709 with what looked like a long reboot with or no? Sometimes I know we don't have the time to watch our machines or did it update without you knowing?

So either Windows update is wrong or winver is wrong. Try WinKey/R > Type > winver > Hit Enter. What does that say?

Tony K, Dec 31, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, when that happened to me- but an update, not the upgrade, I had to uninstall the update via the Control Panel, Programs and Features, Installed updates, then restart and update. Yours is not a normal situation as you know.

In your case as it has failed once, you might consider manually updating- download the iso, then upgrade.

I would also recommend - as we so often strongly do as a matter of routine- that you use disk imaging and make sure your image is up to date. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free).

If you still have problems, try deleting the content of
    %temp%
    and
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

dalchina, Dec 31, 2017
  6. RhinoCan Win User
    I really can't say much about how long the update took. My brother has been using the laptop under a different user account for the last few months; today was the first time I signed into this user account in several months. It told me it needed to an update and I just let it run; the screen went black once, then I saw a web page that said something about Windows Creator Update and had information about three new features - I remember one was changes in Microsoft Office - and a "Learn More" button under each. But I did NOT see a button to click to proceed with the update. I went to Settings and looked at Windows Updates and saw 8 or 10 items that said 1709 had been installed but a reboot was still needed. The About said I was still on 1703 so I rebooted; when I checked the About after that, it still said 1703 and the update history was unchanged. I did another reboot and things remained as they were. I did a Winver just now and it also says 1703.

I know that the Creator Update requires multiple reboots; I was at my friend's place on Boxing Day and watched it do the whole thing but it all went smoothly and without human intervention on his computer.

RhinoCan, Jan 1, 2018
  7. RhinoCan Win User
    Can you remind me where to find the ISOs for Windows 10, version 1709?

RhinoCan, Jan 1, 2018
  8. Tony K Win User

Creator Update confusion

@RhinoCan

I see. I think this is what you're looking for.: Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Tony K, Jan 1, 2018
  9. dalchina New Member
    Download Windows 10 ISO File Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Also Techbench (links under about the 3rd post after Kyhi's boot disk at the top of the Software and Apps section, or there are a couple of sites where you can download directly.

dalchina, Jan 1, 2018
  10. RhinoCan Win User
    The problem has resolved itself. I was actually experiencing it on two laptops but got sidetracked with other issues so just let the matter slide for several days.

Yesterday, I tried to use one of the problem laptops again for a quick minute and found it wanted to update. I could tell from the screens I was seeing that it was the Creators Update so I just let it proceed. I wondered if it would work this time or not. As it turned out, the update went to completion and when I checked the version in Settings, it was 1709.

Then I had a look at the second laptop that had the same issue. It was NOT about to update on its own. I checked for to see if there were any updates pending and the message said there was not. I clicked on the Refresh, just for the heck of it, and it found the Creators Update and downloaded it. I initiated the Install and it completed the install successfully this time. The version in Settings is 1709 for this computer too.

I really don't know why these updates failed the first time but I just wanted to let anyone looking at this thread now how matters resolved themselves in the end.

RhinoCan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Creator Update confusion

1. Creator Update confusion - Similar Threads - Creator Update confusion

2. Confused about Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Confused about Updates: Hi, I've spent a few hours this morning trying to update Windows then furiously back-peddle after reading horror stories online - throw in a Repairing Disc Errors screen... you get the idea. But I'm confused about what I should do now. Under Windows Update I have: Feature...
  3. Creator's Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creator's Update: What is Creator's Update? And How can I get that? Are Insider Program and Creator's Update Same https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/creators-update/1d440c83-6041-478b-9874-b651a8224bd1
  4. Creators Update.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Creators Update.: How will I know when the Creator's Update has been installed please? Presumably it appears in Settings/Update and Security but is it identifiable? 86408
  5. Creators Update

Creators Update: I don't particularly want to do a manual download but am I the only one that hasn't received the Creator's Update yet? I also read somewhere that certain applications running on a computer might stop the update from downloading. 89939
  6. Update confusion

Update confusion: I have update KB4034674 (Build 15063.540) successfully install on 8/8/2017. Then on 8/13/2017 KB4032188 (Build 15063.502) failed to install 6 times. Since KB4032188 is an earlier build I assume that's why it failed. However, why would it even try to install at all since it's...
  7. Updates confusion

Updates confusion: In my taskbar, I have a Windows Defender Security Centre shield, constantly showing a red cross over it. I click on it and it takes me to Settings, Windows Update, which shows .. Updates are available • 2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based...
  8. creator update

creator update: It appears that the creator update has me in its crosshairs. From what little I could find out the only thing I am interested in is the improved edge. Can all the other features be uninstalled or at least ignored. 86852
  9. Creators update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Creators update: I installed the creators update some months ago that helped solving some of the problems I had with windows. But after windows crashed and I had to reinstall it, I can no longer seem to get the creators update to work. I just get a message that says "thank you for updating...
  10. creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    creators update: I was wondering if anyone is having trouble with the creators update? I installed it on a desktop and laptop. The laptop seems ok with it. The desktop appeared ok at first, but after a couple of days things started happening. Keyboard would freeze, chrome with bing started...