Windows 10: Creator Update - Game Mode - Functionality?

Discus and support Creator Update - Game Mode - Functionality? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; How does Win10 recognize your various games to then allocate or turn off processes to give you more gaming power? I would have imaged we'd be able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by BuzWeaver, Apr 13, 2017.

1. BuzWeaver Win User

Creator Update - Game Mode - Functionality?

How does Win10 recognize your various games to then allocate or turn off processes to give you more gaming power? I would have imaged we'd be able to select what games to add to this feature so I'm curious how Win10 itself will know what is a game versus editing software for example.

:)

BuzWeaver, Apr 13, 2017
  2. Vega Hassan, Apr 13, 2017
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    game mode

Game Mode is only available on the 'insider' builds until the official release with the

'Creators' Update in April.

Fortunately, you don't need Game Mode to run games on Win10 though.

One of many articles regarding Game Mode...

pcgamer.com/windows-10-game-mode-tested

BossDweeb, Apr 13, 2017
  4. Creator Update - Game Mode - Functionality?

If you have Game Mode turned on and Game Bar activated, you hit Win+G while in game and the game bar will pop up. Click on the settings icon and the very top option is a checkbox that you can check that says "Use Game Mode for this game". That's basically how you add a game to the Game Mode whitelist.

*Arrow Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Gaming Tutorials

Creator Update - Game Mode - Functionality? [​IMG]

Keep in mind that Game Mode doesn't work in all full screen games.

blackroseMD1, Apr 13, 2017
  5. BuzWeaver Win User
    Awesome! Thank you Blackrose I'll give it a try. *Cool

BuzWeaver, Apr 13, 2017
  6. BuzWeaver Win User
    I've turned on the Game Mode, but when I hit Win+G the Game Bar does not appear. I have most everything turned off with the exception of just the Game Mode Button. Do all the various settings have to be on for the Win+G to work?

BuzWeaver, Apr 14, 2017
  7. Did you activate this under the Game Bar settings?

specialkone, Apr 14, 2017
  8. BuzWeaver Win User

Nope. It doesn't work even when I've selected Show Game bar. Is it just for Xbox games and or PC games that are 32bit. I'm running PC games that are 64bit.

BuzWeaver, Apr 14, 2017
  9. Buz; believe you need both these enabled, then press Win +G in game.

It works only in full screen mode and currently, from what I hear, with about 80 games. Which games are you trying to use it with.?

10. See this, after Win +G in ROTTR (DX12) with the above two settings and of course Game Mode ON.

11. I believe Battlefield 1 is 64 bit. It works in that game.

12. BuzWeaver Win User
    Understood. So essentially Game Mode functionality requires that the recording and broadcasting software be enabled. That's not necessarily what I want it to do because I don't know if the recording will drop frames or tax the CPU while recording. I'm currently using ShadowPlay to record games. I'm currently playing H1Z1 and Civilization VI. In reality I don't really need game mode to help with potential game performance as I play, but my concern would be how much does the "recording" aspect of Game Mode tax a games Frames.

BuzWeaver, Apr 14, 2017
  13. Creator Update - Game Mode - Functionality?

Buz; my own very limited testing of game mode tells me it's not affecting performance much one way or the other. That might be because I too have decent hardware, and run at only 1080P, so perhaps my system and configuration doesn't need the help.

You are not recording by default unless you enable background recording which also is off by default:

Win+Alt+R starts and stops recording.

My personal view is Game Mode's recording, screenshot capabilities give you another option to similar services like Nvidia's Geforce Experience and its shadow play/share options. Up to you to play around and decide. More options/competition are always a good thing. *Thumbs

14. BuzWeaver Win User
    I tried it out tonight and it didn't seem to impact performance at all. It's a little clunky compared to Shadowplay. Game mode DVR may be a great option for people who don't use Shadowplay or other free recorder.

BuzWeaver, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Creator Update - Game Mode - Functionality? - Similar Threads - Creator Update Game

2. suggestion for game creators

in Windows 10 Gaming
    suggestion for game creators: Is it possible to create an algorithm to identify if someone finishes aMicrosoft Solitaire Collection Event in less than a reasonable time? Advertisements considered Obviously there are many complaints from people including myself, who're using this game to fill a gap in...
  3. Creator's Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creator's Update: What is Creator's Update? And How can I get that? Are Insider Program and Creator's Update Same https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/creators-update/1d440c83-6041-478b-9874-b651a8224bd1
  4. Microsoft acknowledges Creators Update game bugs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft acknowledges Creators Update game bugs.: https://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming...g-game-bugs/1/ https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-fi...rmance-issues/ Honestly thinking of getting Windows 7 now 93365
  5. Creators Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Creators Update: I don't particularly want to do a manual download but am I the only one that hasn't received the Creator's Update yet? I also read somewhere that certain applications running on a computer might stop the update from downloading. 89939
  6. creator update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    creator update: It appears that the creator update has me in its crosshairs. From what little I could find out the only thing I am interested in is the improved edge. Can all the other features be uninstalled or at least ignored. 86852
  7. lost bluetooth function after windows 10 Fall Creators update.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    lost bluetooth function after windows 10 Fall Creators update.: I updated my Dell tablet this morning to latest build, I immediately lost bluetooth . Not even listed in Device manager. When I ran Bluetooth trouble shoot, the result was that my Atheros Bluetooth UART Transport driver cannot Start ( code10) . I did not try to uninstall...
  8. Creators Upgrade Gaming Mode not for Audio DAW Applications

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Creators Upgrade Gaming Mode not for Audio DAW Applications: The Gaming mode would appear to be something those of us with recording studio's would benefit from. However an in depth look at it by Cakewalk Sonar analysts suggest its not for audio recording. Here is their "Your DAW is not a game" Conclusion: The observed...
  9. creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    creators update: I was wondering if anyone is having trouble with the creators update? I installed it on a desktop and laptop. The laptop seems ok with it. The desktop appeared ok at first, but after a couple of days things started happening. Keyboard would freeze, chrome with bing started...
  10. Beam Streaming, Game Mode, and More with Windows 10 Creators Update

in Windows 10 News
    Beam Streaming, Game Mode, and More with Windows 10 Creators Update: Update May 25th 2017: Introducing 'Mixer' - renamed Beam from Xbox One and Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums U2LGgmevcZE Last year, we set out to make Windows 10 the best version of Windows for gaming. Today, PC gaming gets even better for Windows 10 gamers...