Windows 10: Creators edition -- Windows defender BROKEN !!!

Discus and support Creators edition -- Windows defender BROKEN !!! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi there apart from really hosing up the Interface (why on earth do people mess with perfectly acceptable programs and then turn it into something... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jimbo45, Apr 24, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Creators edition -- Windows defender BROKEN !!!

Hi there

apart from really hosing up the Interface (why on earth do people mess with perfectly acceptable programs and then turn it into something HORRIBLE) the scan doesn't work

It says it thinks there's a threat on my machine -- but nothing in the logs and when you click on the thing that I suppose is meant to do a re-scan - NOTHING happens -- totally CONFUSING compared to the previous interface.

I assume you are meant to click the button "Start Actions" - otherwise it's totally confusing what to do. !!!!!!

Creators edition -- Windows defender BROKEN !!! [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 24, 2017

2. drivers compitabilty of windows 10 1703 64 bit.

don't worry about it - if there's a problem, windows defender security center (not windows defender antivirus) will tell you

if there was a problem, chances are windows 10 1703 (creators update) would not have been offered to your computer via windows update

first rule of computers: if it isn't broken, don't fix it

PA Bear - MS MVP, Apr 24, 2017
  3. Windows Defender

Does Windows 10 Creator Edition, which comes with Windows Defender AntiVirus installed, need any other antivirus software or does Windows Defender do it all?

Brent Hatcher, Apr 24, 2017
  4. Creators edition -- Windows defender BROKEN !!!

If I click the shield icon on that page I get Virus & threat protection screen with Scan History, Quick Scan, protection settings and protection updates options. No Start actions option for me but mine has a green checkmark on the shield.

alphanumeric, Apr 24, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

That's fine - but how do I fix what I'm getting -- it was working fine (apart from the known problem that double click doesn't work from the taskbar) until the last set of updates got applied.

Rolled back to CU update BEFORE the extra updates were applied and it's working again.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 24, 2017
  6. I agree, they have messed it up somewhat. You have to right click > open to launch it from the notifications area. If you click the shield do you get the screen with the quick scan option? If yes, do that.

7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Tried the update on a VM -- still got the red warning - but run the scan -- nothing found, and after a re-boot (of the VM version) the standard Green is OK. I'll try doing this on my main installation now.

I'd have thought that at least the SECURITY package should work properly before releasing the updates out of the door -- Home users can muck around with this stuff but I'd hate to be some sort of security I.T admin with this type of product being released willy nilly !!!!

I've marked as solved now --looks like there's some initial problem after the update (i.e the first set of updates after you've installed or upgraded to CU edititon).

"Bottom of the class" for that one Ms --especially as Security is more and more important these days.

I think the button only appears if you get anything other than a green OK no actions needed message. But I'm sure I won't be the only one who gets flummoxed by this -- after all it says ACTIONS NEEDED - so you of course will attempt to apply actions -- and then NOTHING !!!!!

All I have on this system is the basic Windows system (x-64 PRO) plus Office 2016. Not much there to get infected I'd have thought. !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 24, 2017
  8. Creators edition -- Windows defender BROKEN !!!

I have a yellow marker on it on my laptop. Open it and its telling me my screen brightness is set to high when on battery, and that I don't have sleep enabled on battery. *really

9. Steve C Win User
    This is another fine example of the state of Microsoft's software QA *Sad

Steve C, Apr 25, 2017
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi everybody

I agree the QA is really bad -- especially for a relatively public update. I would tolerate this in test versions such as Insider updates as it is fairly impossible to test anything other than a few scenarios in a test Lab and getting a much wider audience to use different hardware etc makes sense -- that still doesn't excuse basic errors in programming like buttons with text on them should actually function as intended !!!!

I know Ms wants to make Windows as safe as possible - and W10 is certainly evolving into quite a decent robust product -- but it does seem today that too much emphasis is placed by companies to cut costs down to the bone and then even further -- you only have to look at the pathetic excuse a lot of large organisations (e.g Banks, Utility companies, some larger stores etc) have for "customer service" these days.

Pay people a bit more and then get PROPER development instead of off shoring into the cheapest possible market. I'm sure adding say a few cents to the cost of Windows isn't going to stop people buying it (or charge corporations a bit more for the Enterprise editions plus service costs). I don't think companies like SHELL would stop using Windows if the corporate cost rose a little especially if the increase was used to finance a more robust and secure product.

Of course we all like money and if you are a shareholder you want the value to rise - but there is a difference between out and out GREED and REASONABLE profit. I'm not an "Old Leftie" out of the closet - but I think these days there's too much on trying to squeeze every last cent out of the consumer etc -- it doesn't actually work in the long run.

I'd much rather for example book on an airline with slightly higher fares if they don't overbook so no chance of being asked to give up a seat etc than use one where you have no certainty of getting the flight even if booked a long time in advance .

Back years ago when I did a bit of development you should have seen the amount of work and checks that had to be done just to get a development into a QA system -- never mind into Production.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 25, 2017
  11. swarfega Win User
    I'm thinking of going back to AU there are so many things broken in CU.

swarfega, Apr 25, 2017
  12. This type of stuff shouldn't happen in a public release. Insider preview Ok, public release NOT OK, IMHO. It's "supposed' to be all sorted on in the preview builds. Thing is though, they always seem to want to add or change something right before a public release of the Consumer version.

alphanumeric, Apr 25, 2017
  13. Edwin New Member

Something's not jiving with that Security Dashboard.
    Mine always says everything is fine but the Defender UI always shows different!

Edwin, Apr 25, 2017
  14. swarfega Win User
    I think they rushed this one to coincide with the EOS of Vista.

swarfega, Apr 25, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    If you get it again, try looking in...
    Windows Defender Security Centre > Virus & threat protection > Scan history > See full history
    That's the only place that seems to list every detection, be they from scans or real-time protection.

Thema:

1. Creators edition -- Windows defender BROKEN !!! - Similar Threads - Creators edition defender

2. Windows defender is broken

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender is broken: Hello so if i make a quick scan it detects a virus so i click delete it doesn't do anything so i want to delete it my way i go to that folder and i dont see itplease tell me how to fix it...
  3. Windows defender is broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender is broken: Hello so if i make a quick scan it detects a virus so i click delete it doesn't do anything so i want to delete it my way i go to that folder and i dont see itplease tell me how to fix it...
  4. Windows Defender broken

Windows Defender broken: I am having this problem with my windows defender that I believe might be glitched out/bugged out, I have read tons of threads and suggestions from them, and none have helped. Firstly, on the home screen, it just shows a white blank screen where the contents should be, also I...
  5. Windows Defender is Broken

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Defender is Broken: Today I was looking at windows defender but... lol [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-is-broken/47f70e85-b47f-40a0-acdb-c791fbb49d4c
  6. Windows creator edition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows creator edition: I keep getting a blue screen it just has a arrow and a power symbol and press he arrow press the arrow and it just reboots https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-creator-edition/b21a1c5b-4b61-4e48-9063-5abd1143e79e
  7. old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709

old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709: Since the upgrade to Fall Creators update the old style Defender UI MSASCui.exe produces an error if you try to look at Quarantined items on the History tab. Error loading type library/DLL Error code: 0x80029c4a I'm not the only one, apparently. Also reported here......
  8. Windows HELLO in CREATOR broken

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows HELLO in CREATOR broken: Windows Hello in v1607 worked fine with my fingerprint sensor. Upgrade install to Creator and now it says it is not available on this PC. Nothing changed with the device manager Validity FP sensor. I uninstalled and reinstalled it also. Still Hello won't say Hello. I want it...
  9. Updating To Creator Edition

in Windows 10 Support
    Updating To Creator Edition: I just built a new Ryzen system and installed a full version win10 x64. Last night I did a check for updates and it gave me the win10 Creators update. So I went ahead and started it at around 8 PM. I checked at 1 AM and it was installing at 40%. At 8 AM it was at 80%. At 12...
  10. Windows Creator Pro Edition

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Creator Pro Edition: I am a little confused about the Creators Edition I have a machine that is running Windows 10 Pro if I install the Creators Edition does it select a Creators Edition Pro or is there such a thing? 83329