Windows 10: Creators Update and Hyper-V - Upgrade Configuration Version

Discus and support Creators Update and Hyper-V - Upgrade Configuration Version in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello all, I have installed Creators Update and in Hyper-V Manager, when I click on "Upgrade Configuration Version" on any of my VMs, nothing happens.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by ONeill, Apr 14, 2017.

1. ONeill Win User

Creators Update and Hyper-V - Upgrade Configuration Version

Hello all,
    I have installed Creators Update and in Hyper-V Manager, when I click on "Upgrade Configuration Version" on any of my VMs, nothing happens.
    I am running Enterprise edition.
    And I think it is because of that I can't use new features of Hyper-V like windows resizing/scaling.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm thinking of re-installing Hyper-V role on my PC but would like to avoid that if possible

:)

ONeill, Apr 14, 2017
  2. msurkan Win User

Windows 10 Hyper-V no longer recognizes VMs after Creator's Update

After the Creator's Update was installed on my Windows 10 Pro system Hyper-V disappeared. I had to re-install Hyper-V again. That wouldn't bother me so much if Hyper-V also didn't stop recognizing my virtual machines. The Hyper-V console no longer shows
    any of my old VMs.

I tried the option to "Import Virtual Machine" from the Hyper-V console and pointed the import wizard to the folder where my .vhdx files are stored but I only get an error saying "Hyper-V did not find virtual machines to import from location".

I tried uninstalling the Creator's Update but got an error saying that the previous version files are not available and that the update cannot be undone.

How can I recover my virtual machines? The .vhdx files are still in the same folders and are the correct size.

msurkan, Apr 14, 2017
  3. Deno350 Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update and Hyper-V

I have been using Hyper-V with no problems regularly in Windows 10 prior to the anniversary update.

However once I updated I can no longer get HyperV to work.

When I start it i get the connecting message but that's a far as it goes yet in Hyper-V Manager I can see it is waiting at the login screen.

I have done the following to try and solve it.

Went back to a previous build, removed the Hyper-V feature, upgraded again to the AU version, added Hyper-V back, added a virtual switch and selected Update Configuration Version which is now on Version 8 however I still have the same problem.

I have also tried "BCDEDIT /Set hypervisorlaunchtype auto" but that does not help.

I am running an Alienware laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 10 64bit.

Deno350, Apr 14, 2017
  4. ONeill Win User

Re-installing Hyper-V role did not help.

Using powershell command Get-VMHostSupportedVersion I can see new version available (which is 8.1).
    Creators Update and Hyper-V - Upgrade Configuration Version [​IMG]

And if I create new VM using command New-VM -Name test -Version 8.1, new VM is created with version 8.1:

But I still cannot upgrade my existing VMs to new configuration version.

ONeill, Apr 15, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    I have clean install of 10 Pro Creators Update.

I just upgraded my 6.2 and 7.1 VMs and they upgraded to 8.0 not 8.1. Upgrading 8.0 does nothing (same as you).

Resizing works for me but only in Enhanced Session mode not console which is still fixed resolution.

I can't used enhanced session mode as I need to use Cisco AnyConnect in my VMs and it will not work if it thinks I'm connected via RDP so basically I can't resize either but I suppose this is how it is supposed to work (according to here anyway)

What Windows for IT Pros

EDIT What is that IsDefault True for 8.0 in Get-VMHostSupportedVersion? Perhaps that is why it upgrades to 8.0 not 8.1. I don't know how to change it though.

6. ONeill Win User
    I just checked and I can indeed resize VM's window in Enhanced mode (I don't remember I was able to do that yesterday *Smile )

This means whenever I create new VM in Hyper-V Manager, it will use version 8.0 configuration.
    8.0 was here even before Creators Update.

8.1 is available, as my screenshot above shows. I also tried upgrading using powershell command, but still no luck.

ONeill, Apr 15, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    You are now making an issue about something that really is not an issue. See your own screenshot one more time, you will see that default configuration version at the moment is 8.0. The 8.1 shows value FALSE for IsDefault:

Current configuration version is always shown as TRUE.

You only got the version 8.1 for your new VM because you told your PowerShell command to make it 8.1. If you leave that out, the new VM is created as 8.0 because that is at the moment the default configuration version.

No issues here.

8. rpmurph83 Win User

I just upgraded to the Creator's Edition as well and there is a button saying "upgrade configuration version" but when you click it nothing happens and the version stays at 8.0. It seems like this is a bug? Anyone have ideas? Thanks for the help in advance.

rpmurph83, May 4, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    No it is not a bug as already told in this thread. Configuration version 8.0 is current version in Windows 10 version 1703 build 15063. Upgrading configuration version does nothing because you are already using latest version.

Kari, May 4, 2017
  10. rpmurph83 Win User
    Well it may not be a bug. But why would the upgrade config version appear in Hyper-V after updating to the Creators Edition and then the button not do anything. Doesn't make much sense if you ask me.

rpmurph83, May 4, 2017
  11. Kari Win User
    Of course it makes sense. When you import virtual machines created in older versions of Windows 10 and Hyper-V, you need to upgrade configuration version to guarantee best possible functionality.

12. rpmurph83 Win User
    That I could see. However the button shows up for all my VMs that are currently 8.0

rpmurph83, May 4, 2017
  13. Kari Win User

So you mean that Windows 10 Settings app should only show Check for Windows updates option when there are actual updates available and remove that option from Settings when you are up to date, or various software should not have Check for updates option available when you already run the latest version? That context menu options and Hyper-V manager GUI options should be different for each VM?

Don't take this too personally but of all pointless complaints about Windows and its software I've heard this one goes easily on Top 5 list *Smile

14. rpmurph83 Win User
    Sounds like your taking this too serious. Your entitled to your own opinion though

rpmurph83, May 4, 2017
  15. Kari Win User
    Exactly the opposite: I can't take a non-issue like this seriously!

Thema:

1. Creators Update and Hyper-V - Upgrade Configuration Version - Similar Threads - Creators Update Hyper

2. Hyper-V: Downgrade "Configuration Version" from 10 to 9

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V: Downgrade "Configuration Version" from 10 to 9: I have created a VM on a windows 11 machine, without realizing it would be created as "Configuration Version 10".I now need this VM to run on a windows 10 machine, which supports "Configuration Version" up to 9.As far as I can tell, from reading forum posts, I should be able...
  3. Hyper-V: Downgrade "Configuration Version" from 10 to 9

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Downgrade "Configuration Version" from 10 to 9: I have created a VM on a windows 11 machine, without realizing it would be created as "Configuration Version 10".I now need this VM to run on a windows 10 machine, which supports "Configuration Version" up to 9.As far as I can tell, from reading forum posts, I should be able...
  4. How to configure the Virtual Switch in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 News
    How to configure the Virtual Switch in Hyper-V: [IMG]A Virtual Switch (vSwitch) software allows one virtual machine (VM) to communicate with another. They are also used to connect virtual and physical networks and to transport VM traffic to other VMs or physical networks. However, keep in mind that Virtual Switch is...
  5. Why Hyper-V 2019 splits checkpoints into additional VMs after upgrading configuration version?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Hyper-V 2019 splits checkpoints into additional VMs after upgrading configuration version?: I am in the midst of upgrading my Hyper-V environment from Windows 2012 R2 old to Windows 2019 new. Moving virtual machines VM from the old system to the new system works flawlessly. But since the version of VMs from the old version 5.0 is lower than then new 9.0, there is an...
  6. Why Hyper-V 2019 splits checkpoints into additional VMs after upgrading configuration version?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Hyper-V 2019 splits checkpoints into additional VMs after upgrading configuration version?: I am in the midst of upgrading my Hyper-V environment from Windows 2012 R2 old to Windows 2019 new. Moving virtual machines VM from the old system to the new system works flawlessly. But since the version of VMs from the old version 5.0 is lower than then new 9.0, there is an...
  7. Display configuration on enhanced session Hyper V

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display configuration on enhanced session Hyper V: I have enabled the Enhanced session on the Hyper-V manager and the Guest services in the integration services. The below screen shows up once i reboot the server but i forgot to press show option to enable PNP. Is there a way to open the below screen again please....
  8. Hyper-V. Cannot delete "Default Switch" after Fall Creators Update.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V. Cannot delete "Default Switch" after Fall Creators Update.: Hello, after update to Fall Creators Update i cannot delete vEthernet (Default Switch) in Hype-V. When deleted from connections in control pannel it is created again after reboot. If disabled it stays after reboot but new connection with #2 is created. When clicking delete...
  9. Hyper-V unable to configure network for guest OS - no network

Hyper-V unable to configure network for guest OS - no network: I am running Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro and trying to install CentOS 6 on a VM. I define an external virtual switch, create a VM, specifying the use of the external virtual switch. I have 2 NICs on the host system, both with network access and internet access. The external...
  10. Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.

Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.: I have them both set up, but I don't seem to have any options to enable any sound in the hardware section of Hyper-V. Is it not possible to use these operating systems with sound? I used to use Windows Virtual PC 2007 and sound worked perfectly on those, both on 98 and XP....
Tags: