Windows 10: Creators Update: Built-in Administrator Account stuck in setup loop

Discus and support Creators Update: Built-in Administrator Account stuck in setup loop in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; never seen this one before, folks. I'm trying to repair software problems with a HP x360, after Creator' Update. Apparenly the built-in Administrator... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by cognus, Aug 18, 2017.

1. cognus Win User

Creators Update: Built-in Administrator Account stuck in setup loop

never seen this one before, folks.
    I'm trying to repair software problems with a HP x360, after Creator' Update. Apparenly the built-in Administrator Account was never setup. I invoked it "active" rebooted and accessed "Administrator" in safe mode.
    It has been looping for an hour now, finally losing most of the video display - only the cursor is visible, or the trace of a touch on the touchscreen.
    Anyone seen this before and what is the cause & remedy? The disk light just keeps on rolling as it tries in vain to setup

:)

cognus, Aug 18, 2017

2. Unable to install latest cumulative update

Yes, still stuck in the the restart loop. I tried installing the update using the built in administrator account as well, to no avail.

ShadowArc42, Aug 18, 2017
  3. Constant BSOD Loop (Never-Ending)

I can't get on to the Desktop, or even get into the BIOS. It's stuck in a loop, and I can't log on to the Administrator account or any other account.

IncogniStructura, Aug 18, 2017
  4. Creators Update: Built-in Administrator Account stuck in setup loop

Hi cognus.

I believe that the built in Administrator account is normally not activated and you only activated when absolutely needed.

I would try to interrupt. As soon as you see the dots (powering up) power down by holding the power button until it is completely shutdown. Power up and do the same thing.

On the third attempt I'm hoping it will start Advance Startup Options.

Assuming you get into this menu I would fall back to a previous build (you will see red arrow in screen shots) Assuming Creator was just installed.

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

Then if you want to force the Creator Update I would follow this tutorial. Actually it is also a good repair process.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Of course another member may have an alternative approach.

If this fails I would ensure all personal data is safe by booting with this disc to copy it out.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 18, 2017
  5. cognus Win User
    Thank you Ken.
    As it turned out it looked like being in Safe Mode on first-run setup complicated an already challenging file issue. I had not thought to run sfc /scannow before getting to this point. When I killed it and booted normally, the Administrator initial setup did complete, but was not healthy. odd things like trying to search using the Cortana icon simply did not respond - like disconnected. the normal left-click on the Start button similarly dead. right-click worked. etc.
    ran sfc /scannow and it repaired/replaced a number of files. appears to be more normal now. as always, hindsight being 20/20 I should have burned it to the ground at the outset and clean-installed. we never what lurks til we wade in and fix enough to make it talk

cognus, Aug 20, 2017
  6. Great. You still might want to have a look at the in place repair / upgrade. Of course if system is working then better it would be wise to leave it alone.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Creators Update: Built-in Administrator Account stuck in setup loop

1. Creators Update: Built-in Administrator Account stuck in setup loop - Similar Threads - Creators Update Built

2. Windows 8 stuck in recovery loop with no administrator accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 8 stuck in recovery loop with no administrator accounts: I'm helping a friend with her laptop that is stuck in recovery mode and all options selected lead to a message saying there are no admin accounts. I've tried about everything I can think of and have had no luck. I found older posts here with a similar problem but none of the...
  3. Windows 8 stuck in recovery loop with no administrator accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 8 stuck in recovery loop with no administrator accounts: I'm helping a friend with her laptop that is stuck in recovery mode and all options selected lead to a message saying there are no admin accounts. I've tried about everything I can think of and have had no luck. I found older posts here with a similar problem but none of the...
  4. built-in administrator & my "normal" administrator accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    built-in administrator & my "normal" administrator accounts: i am noticing that the hidden, built-in administrator account seems to have a different hostname than my "normal" administrator's host name for administrator when i do "net user" in cmd i see my hostname as "\\" for my "normal" administrator account that i created and...
  5. Windows 10 stuck in setup loop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 stuck in setup loop: I did a full reset on my laptop, however it has become stuck in a loop. It has a screen that says "Hi There" and asks for things like home country, language, keyboard layout, and time zone, then goes to a screen that says "Why did my PC restart?" It says there's a problem and...
  6. Stuck in setup loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck in setup loop: Hello, I did a full reset on my laptop, however it has become stuck in a loop. It has a screen that says "Hi There" and asks for things like home country, language, keyboard layout, and time zone, then goes to a screen that says "Why did my PC restart?" It says there's a...
  7. Built-In Administrator Account Confusion

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Built-In Administrator Account Confusion: I run lusrmgr.msc > Users. On each account shown there, I right-click > Properties. This tells me that, aside from DefaultAccount, Guest, and HomeGroupUser$, I have an Administrator account that is built-in and disabled, and an account named Ray (my name) that is a member of...
  8. Built in administrator account

Built in administrator account: I've been using Windows 10 since the auto update from 8.1 Everything has worked since then, but then this happens. Randomly in the last days, if I click on any app, I get prompted "App cannot be opened using the built-in administrator account." I don't know where...
  9. Built in Administrator - account security questions?

Built in Administrator - account security questions?: After a couple of weeks of using Windows 10, I finally have the OS installed, tweaked and personalized. The last thing on the list is to tighten-up the default security account/settings of Windows 10 on the PC. In the past I attempted to do this w/ Windows 7 with...
  10. Stuck in Administrator Account

Stuck in Administrator Account: Hi guys, I'm currently stuck in the Administrator Account.. I really only have one Windows account that has gotten stuck in this mode. I was hoping you could help me resolve this since it's now cutting into my productivity. The machine is a two month old Alienware 17 R3...