Windows 10: Creators Update creates new hidden partition PQ MirOS

Discus and support Creators Update creates new hidden partition PQ MirOS in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Howdy ! I use Acronis to regularly re-image my computers, so I like my PC's running in Legacy mode (not UEFI) and without all the hidden and recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ppm, Nov 5, 2017.

1. PPM
    ppm Win User

Creators Update creates new hidden partition PQ MirOS

Howdy !
    I use Acronis to regularly re-image my computers, so I like my PC's running in Legacy mode (not UEFI) and without all the hidden and recovery partitions. I just did the Creators Update and it has ANNOYINGLY created a 3rd partition, called "Windows RE Hidden, PQ, MirOS". It's less than 400MB so it's not an issue of space, but I just don't like them doing this.

Does anyone know if there is a way to stop this from happening ? I don't want to just delete the partition, but if I do a clean install, or restore last month's image and re-do the update - does anyone know if there is a way to stop these annoying extra hidden partitions ?

:)

2. does installing Creators addition create an new recovery partition?

Hi Robert,

Recovery partition is backup wherein the Recovery Environment is stored. It is usually created by the manufacturer's laptop. Installing Creators Update is one of the major updates and it will not create a new recovery partition.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Marilou Ser, Nov 5, 2017
  3. does installing Creators addition create an new recovery partition?

does installing Creators addition create an new recovery partition?

RobertWise_747, Nov 5, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 5, 2017
  5. Hi ppm, yes, FCU makes new recovery partition instead of C:\Recovery folder. Don't know how to block it but I know how to revert it into previous state but it it is not so easy.

1. Extracting Windows Recovery Environment files from Recovery partition:
    - run diskpart at elevated command prompt, then use following commands
    list volume
    select volume <number_of_recovery_volume_identified>
    assign letter=R
    exit

- in Explorer, copy WindowsRE folder from drive R: to desktop; it holds 3 files including winre.wim (changing source ownership/permissions may be needed)

2. Deleting recovery partition:
    - run diskpart at elevated command prompt, then use following commands
    list disk
    select disk <number_of_system_disk>
    list partition
    select partition <number_of_recovery_partition>
    && Be sure to enter correct number of RECOVERY partition, it will be deleted!
    delete partition override
    exit

- in Disk Management snap-in, expand your C: partition to empty space

3. Copying Recovery files to previous location:
    - in Explorer, copy WindowsRE folder from desktop to C:\Recovery folder (changing target ownership/permissions may be needed)

4. Registering current location of WindowsRE folder:
    - type following commands at elevated prompt
    reagentc /setreimage /path C:\Recovery\WindowsRE
    reagentc /enable

5. Deleting orphaned recovery entry from BCD store:
    - type following command at elevated prompt
    bcdedit /enum osloader
    - find entry which includes wrong path to non-existent recovery partition in row named Device
    - type following command at elevated prompt
    bcdedit /delete {identifier_of_bad_entry} && Be sure to enter correct ID of bad entry as it will be deleted

6. Testing new WinRE:
    - at logon screen, do Shift + Restart etc.

muchomurka, Nov 6, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    I've had bad experiences with Acronis products. I recommend Macrium Reflect Free which is reliable and well supported & engineered.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Creators Update creates new hidden partition PQ MirOS - Similar Threads - Creators Update creates

2. Creating new partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating new partition: I have an Asus ZenBook 14 Laptop. When I went to disk management I don't see any unallocated disk space but when I checked properties of the C: drive only one I have it shows I have 830 GB free. When I try to make a new partition there are only 50 GB available for it. Any...
  3. Creating new partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating new partition: I have an Asus ZenBook 14 Laptop. When I went to disk management I don't see any unallocated disk space but when I checked properties of the C: drive only one I have it shows I have 830 GB free. When I try to make a new partition there are only 50 GB available for it. Any...
  4. Not able to create new partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not able to create new partition: Hi, I have 150 GB of free space in one partition and when I am trying to create a new partition out of it in the disk management, it is not happening. The mouse cursor just shows that some processing is happening but I am not seeing a new Unallocated space in my disk...
  5. Hidden Partitions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hidden Partitions: I realize that certain partitions are hidden for good reason. But the problem I have is that when I do a full system backup twice a month, I open Macrium Reflect and it shows drive letters assigned to four different partitions. As you can see from the image below, the UEFI...
  6. New update creates new partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New update creates new partition: I just noticed after the recent windows update that I now have 2 recovery partitions on my computer and an F drive magically appeared. I can't remove either partition or hide them. Not sure if this is a new windows issue or if my machine is just going crazy. Any help/insight...
  7. New update creates new partition

in Windows 10 Support
    New update creates new partition: I just noticed after the recent windows update that I now have 2 recovery partitions on my computer and an F drive magically appeared. I can't remove either partition or hide them. Not sure if this is a new windows issue or if my machine is just going crazy. Any help/insight...
  8. Creators Upgrade created a new partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creators Upgrade created a new partition: No question(s)... But just for info, posting a screenshot of Disk Management after updating Windows to Creators Upgrade (15063.296) A small recovery partition has been created and it looks like the below. = [img] = 84533
  9. Creators Update Partition Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creators Update Partition Problem: I made a thread a couple of months ago commenting on the fact that, when I had to reinstall windows 10, I messed up the installation by putting everything onto one main partition, leaving the other 2 partitions unallocated. I decided not to do anything about it and leave it...
  10. Creators updates new issues.

in Windows 10 Support
    Creators updates new issues.: Okay so here are some issues I have encountered. I'am getting the "Session "Microsoft.Windows.UniversalNotificationPlatform" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022" error which is being caused by Windows Update and Privacy settings. I could uninstall it but...