Windows 10: Creators Update destroyed Network Discovery on wired LAN

Discus and support Creators Update destroyed Network Discovery on wired LAN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After the Creator’s Update, I learned that Network Discovery is not functioning consistently. Only two computers *(wifi) show in our work group of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jetgraphics, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Creators Update destroyed Network Discovery on wired LAN

After the Creator’s Update, I learned that Network Discovery is not functioning consistently. Only two computers *(wifi) show in our work group of seven Win 10 computers. However, one computer does show all six computers in the work group.
    They have identical network discovery and file sharing turned on.

Wired computers do not show up in File Explorer.

I've rebooted all affected computers.
    No change.
    On one machine, I was able to uninstall the upgrade, but it didn't resolve the issue.

Anomaly: One desktop computer (wired) does see all other computers on the LAN, and its only difference is that the Control Panel / Network and Internet / Network and Sharing Center / Advanced Sharing Settings / Media Streaming Options shows the button meaning it’s [ Not Turned On].

I tried turning it off on other “blind” computers, but it did not restore the network discovery.
    And when I turned it on, the streaming servers showed up in the File Explorer, but not the computers.

Previously mapped network folders are still functioning, but if they get disconnected or I need to add a folder - - - not good!

Net searches have shown that the "missing network bug" has been around since April. But so far, no solutions.

HELP!

:)

jetgraphics, Jun 23, 2017
  2. OzMirage Win User

Computers on the same network not detected since updating to Creators Update

After the Creator’s Update, Network Discovery is not functioning consistently. Only two computers *(wifi) show in our work group of six Win 10 computers. However, one computer does show all six computers in the work group. They have identical network discovery
    and file sharing turned on.

*Only wifi connected computers show up - and not all of them.

Wired computers and peripherals (LAN printers) do not show up in the workgroup network at all - including the host computers !

This inconsistent behavior prevents mapping network drives.

I've rebooted all affected computers.

No change.

I didn't notice it at first, since all my mapped network drives were still functional. But when I opened the FILE EXPLORER / NETWORK the other computers were not there. This. Is. Unacceptable.

OzMirage, Jun 23, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Creators Update issues

Does this computer use a Broadcom 440x 10-100 internal controller (LAN/Ethernet). If so, please know that Microsoft has acknowledged a problem in the Creators Update with respect to this device and they are working to resolve it. In the mean time there is
    a workaround. For details, see the thread below...

Windows 10 Creators Update broke my LAN port

Windows 10 Creators Update broke my LAN port

See my post on April 13 (by Lilla45) for workaround.

See Microsoft's post on April 14 (by
    Travis [MSFT]
    ) acknowledging problem with Broadcom 440x.

Hope this helps,

Lilla

I will check this out on Monday when I'm at that old Dell laptop at work. I believe it's using a Broadcom for wired, and Intel 3945ABG for wireless. It did work just fine prior to putting in the update (I refurbish old laptops, Broadcom 440x LAN nics are
    pretty common in laptops, as are various Intel wireless nics)

ChetarRuby, Jun 23, 2017
  4. Hydrate Win User

Creators Update destroyed Network Discovery on wired LAN

I want to confirm, prior to the Creator's Update, your entire network had been fully operational with all the 7 Win 10 PCs with all showing in the work group and all being able to perform media streaming?

Hydrate, Jun 23, 2017
  5. YES. That is how I was able to map the various drives. All computers were present and I had no problems mapping folders.

After Creators Upgrade I only noticed that the NETWORK discovery was not working when I was looking into HOME GROUP and lost the connection to the mapped drives. After I disconnected from HOME GROUP, the mapped drives were restored. But then I noticed that the computer tally was short.
    This bug was in all other computers that were NEVER connected to HOME GROUP, so I cannot blame H.G.

6. Eagle51 Win User
    Until MS fixes the Master Browser issue with 1703(Creators Update), here are a couple of workarounds that should work.

1. If you have a router that has a USB port (and a USB stick) - Shut down all PC's, insert USB stick in the router (may need to reboot router), then start the other PCs. This should make the router the Master Browser.

2. If you have a pre 1703 PC (1607,win7,win8) on your network - Shut down all PC's, start the pre 1703 PC first, then the other PC's. This should make the pre 1703 PC the Master Browser.

Eagle51, Jun 23, 2017
  7. Since one of the machines does have all computers in its network discovery, is that the "Master Browser"? Should I shut down all others, except that one? Or is it a fluke?

8. Hydrate Win User

The master browser is the system that will show all the other PCs on your network. This has been a bug Microsoft has yet to patch for over a month now. Samba has also been experiencing difficulty along with poor network mapping consistency.

Something seems to be incomplete among recognition between older and newer builds on a Homegroup/Workgroup sharing setup with Windows's systems and theres poor cross-compatibility between older OS's and the Creators Update.

Hydrate, Jun 23, 2017
  9. Eagle51 Win User
    jetgraphics,
    If the build of that PC is pre 1703, then it's probably not a fluke. To make sure it becomes the Master Browser, you have to shut down ALL PC's and start it first, then start the other PC's.

Eagle51, Jun 23, 2017
  10. RESOLVED!
    Thank you x infinity
    *(Giant sigh of relief)

Connected a pre1703 laptop to the network, shut all other machines down, started it, then rebooted the others. SUCCESS.

11. OOPS. Spoke to soon. After a few refreshes, the computers disappeared from Network Discovery.
    DRAT.
    , , ,
    My belt-and-suspenders workaround:
    _ After rebooting and restoring computers in network listing, I mapped every computer's shared folder, so even if they vanish from the listing, I still can access them. _

12. Stigg Win User
    There are numerous threads about this across numerous forums.
    I don't think Microsoft has released a fix yet.

Even though they are not visible in Explorer, you still should be able to access network computers by typing: \\[Computer Name] into the address bar.

Stigg, Jun 26, 2017
  13. Creators Update destroyed Network Discovery on wired LAN

That works, when the computer name does not show up in the drive mapping window.

jetgraphics, Jun 26, 2017
  14. Novan Win User
    I have the same problem my network drive is not showing in the network and also the other computers. i have used a solution found on the internet open regedit:

• Click Start, type regedit in the Start programs and files box, and then press ENTER.
    • Locate and then right-click the registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.
    • Point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    • Type EnableLinkedConnections, and then press ENTER.
    • Right-click EnableLinkedConnections, and then click Modify.
    • In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    • Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
      this has worked for a time but after a few reboots the network drive is not showing in the network.
      Other solutions Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10 Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials
      but give met not the solution.
      also on a other computer with creator upgrade everthing work fine.

Novan, Jun 27, 2017
  15. I am thoroughly [expletive deleted] disgusted with Micro$oft and Windoze 10.
    I believe I shall transition to Ubuntu / Xen, and run Win7 as a guest OS, and scrap Win10.

However, in the meantime, there is an application that bypasses the problem: ipscan25.exe.
    Advanced IP Scanner - Help
    It scans your LAN and lists all computers.
    You can click on an entry and it will open it in the FILE EXPLORER.

jetgraphics, Jul 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Creators Update destroyed Network Discovery on wired LAN - Similar Threads - Creators Update destroyed

2. Network discovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network discovery: I am using Windows 10. I have set up a disk drive on the Wi-Fi router, but I cannot see it on Windows file explorer under Network. Even though I turn on network discovery, I still cannot see my network devices. Please help! Thank you so much.b...
  3. Network discovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network discovery: I am using Windows 10. I have set up a disk drive on the Wi-Fi router, but I cannot see it on Windows file explorer under Network. Even though I turn on network discovery, I still cannot see my network devices. Please help! Thank you so much.b...
  4. Network Discovery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Discovery: I have a server running windows server 2008 r2 and the network discovery is on. On why windows 10 pc I don't see it. I can see my windows 10 machine on the server-side but not the other way. Any solutions, or suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. submitted by...
  5. Network Discovery

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Network Discovery: Hi I wanted to know more about network discovery and can someone view files when turned on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-discovery/fe481712-64da-43d8-94af-2b05f88c1d13
  6. network discovery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network discovery: I am trying to add a printer connected to another PC, both win10Pro although I can see the other pc when I try to connect the printer get a message saying contact network admin for permissions. Pc #2 has been shared, same with printer, files and sharing activated, I read...
  7. Wired LAN

Wired LAN: How do I create a wired LAN in Windows 10. I do not want to connect to internet just 2 computer and a printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wired-lan/1ce14bc9-7f73-4b94-9522-485b151182f3
  8. Network Discovery.

Network Discovery.: Network Discovery. I added a USB memory stick to my router (as suggested by Computer Active) I tried to access it from my laptop by trying \\192.168.1.1 (My router default gateway) as suggested in the article. It came back with Network Discovery must be switched on - - - - -...
  9. Network discovery

Network discovery: Is it safe to leave netwrok discovery on and file sharing off? Because I was just wondering if I should turn it off for my home computer since other devices have had virus before. Can I get a virus if I leave network discovery on and file sharing off, if I have another...
  10. Creators update 2018 destroyed my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creators update 2018 destroyed my computer: I started noticing constant freezing and crashes after the last big update, I think it was Creators' Fall. I reinstalled win10 and still my Disk is 100% used, my computer lags with only firefox and spotify opened. And of course, the occasional crashes... my computer didn't...