Windows 10: Creators Update downloaded, can't restart or shut down computer

Discus and support Creators Update downloaded, can't restart or shut down computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So, Windows messed up big time. I checked the "Defer Feature Upgrades" option when I reverted back to Anniversary Update, and it STILL downloaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DJBenLord, Aug 2, 2017.

1. DJBenLord Win User

Creators Update downloaded, can't restart or shut down computer

So, Windows messed up big time. I checked the "Defer Feature Upgrades" option when I reverted back to Anniversary Update, and it STILL downloaded Creators Update! I have other important upgrades as well, but now I can't install those, cause it will install Creators Build as well, in fact, I can't even shut down or restart the laptop! I am so done with Windows Update! *Mad

:)

DJBenLord, Aug 2, 2017

2. Computer won't let me reset, shut down, or restart

You can check at Settings > System > About to see if you have the latest Fall Creators Version 1709.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 2, 2017
  3. Computer won't let me reset, shut down, or restart

Hi jorr23, I am Rob, a volunteer and a 10 time and dual award MVP specializing in Windows troubleshooting and Bluescreen analysis.

Trying to Reset in that case is a perfectly normal method so do not let HP tell you any different. Below methods to Clean Install the OS however that probably will not correct the issues you are having which are likely to be hardware.

Since the computer is new and still under warranty please contact HP's Support and the seller. As OEM HP is responsible for the proper operation of both the hardware and Windows. So regardless of the cause, it is theirs to resolve. And the unit is under full
    warranty and may be in need of repairs or replacement. Added that even if you are able to resolve the issue you would want it fully documented just in case there are related problems down the road. Remember the more you do the more they will say it is something
    you have done.

HP Support/Troubleshooting & Drivers

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Contact HP

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us....

HP Forums

Home - HP Support Forum

-----

If you need a Windows Installation/Repair disk and/or you want to re-install the OS clean :

A Clean Install would be activated with the Digital Entitlement.

How to Prepare Bootable Install Media for Windows 10 - DVD, USB or SD Card

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Start fresh with a clean installation of Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Clean Install Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Aug 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, Defer feature updates will only delay this- defer is not the same as stop/prevent as I'm sure you know. You can read more about this on the internet and in the screenshots below.

I'm still on the Anniversary build, Pro, Defer Feature Updates set.

Recently I was offered the Creator's build, which I don't presently want. What made it easy to deal with this was this setting:

Creators Update downloaded, can't restart or shut down computer [​IMG]

- I get a notification- but nothing is downloaded.

I then changed this setting:

Creators Update downloaded, can't restart or shut down computer [​IMG]

In your case, I suggest you consider those and deleting the content of
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

E.g.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-13f38126c588

dalchina, Aug 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Creators Update downloaded, can't restart or shut down computer - Similar Threads - Creators Update downloaded

2. Computer not shutting down but restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer not shutting down but restart: When I click on the shutdown button my computer will only restart. It is working fine before. I got nothing about changes or install anything. I dont know what cause so I cant share anything about the problem. I hope someone who is knowledgeable can help me with this....
  3. Computer not shutting down but restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer not shutting down but restart: When I click on the shutdown button my computer will only restart. It is working fine before. I got nothing about changes or install anything. I dont know what cause so I cant share anything about the problem. I hope someone who is knowledgeable can help me with this....
  4. Computer not shutting down but restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer restarts instead of shutting down

Computer restarts instead of shutting down: I don't know if this is a computer glitch or a Microsoft one. Lately, maybe since the last update, when I shut off the computer, it restarts instead. Not consistently, but maybe about half the time. I get the screen that says it's shutting down with the little circling dots...
  6. Computer won't shut down. Instead restarts in flight mode. Can't update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer won't shut down. Instead restarts in flight mode. Can't update: Hi Microsoft When I try to shut down the computer it instead restarts in flight mode. I've had the computer for a few years and this is a new development. This has the added side effect of updates not being installed. Instead the computer tries to install the update and then...
  7. while shutting down the computer restarts

while shutting down the computer restarts: after upgrading windows from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10 pro, I am getting the below message in blue screen and the computer restarts of its own. "your pc ran in to a problem and needs to restart. we just collected some error info, and then we will restart for you. if...
  8. Computer Shuts Down and Restarts at Random

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Shuts Down and Restarts at Random: Hello, I've been having an issue with my computer for the past week where it would shut down at random and restart multiple times a day. Similar to what the following person on this thread is experiencing:...
  9. Computer shuts down instead of restarting

Computer shuts down instead of restarting: Hello, I have been having this issue for a while now. I have reinstalled the pc, complete clean installation, changed disk, added memory... all to no avail. Wheneveer I want to restart, the laptop just shuts down. I am keeping up with all sorts of updates. I have a ASUS...
  10. Update and Shut down / Update and Restart

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update and Shut down / Update and Restart: Sometimes after installing maintenance and performing a Restart, the Power options say (Update and Shut down" and "Update and Restart". Windows does not have another Restart scheduled at that point, but the few times I've seen that I decided I'd better do a restart just in...