Windows 10: Creators update- games ignore nvidia ctrl panel color profile

Discus and support Creators update- games ignore nvidia ctrl panel color profile in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hey, Need help with this asap because I am running out of ideas. I am manually adjusting colors with nvidia control panel since stock colors on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Dyabzhee, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Dyabzhee Win User

Creators update- games ignore nvidia ctrl panel color profile

Hey,

Need help with this asap because I am running out of ideas.

I am manually adjusting colors with nvidia control panel since stock colors on TN panels suck.

Since creators update, when I run fullscreen game, my colors revert to stock ones and even my desktop picks
    it up when I exit or alt tab. I can only fix it with changing resolution or something signal related back and forth or with restarting pc.

Desktop and everything is fine. It only happens when I run games in fullscreen.

Things I've tried:

• 3 times reinstalled creators update including clean install once !
    • Sfc/scannow, dism scanhealth/checkhealth show no errors
    • Disk cleanup
    • Different drivers, currently on latest one.
    • Night mode on/off
    • Game mode on/off
    • Unpluging monitor
    • removing profiles in color management from display properties

I am using xl2411 zowie TN panel 144 hz connected with Dual Dvi.
    Single monitor.

Edit: I believe that source of the problem is a new feature which you can access by right clicking any exe, properties-compatibility tab and there is tick box called "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations globally".
    Enabling it resolves some of the problems and SOME games tends to pick up the color at start but they still (all of them) break on alt tab.

Update: Windows insiders build 16199

• We fixed an issue resulting in color profiles being ignored after launching certain fullscreen games.

It would be nice if people on insiders can confirm that this problem is 100 % fixed.

:)

Dyabzhee, Apr 8, 2017
  2. Frank03 Win User

icc color profile resetting in Win 10

This is incredibly irritating. Looked for a fix everywhere, but nothing. I can't even download the solution with the third party program "Color Profile Keeper" because the website is down.

Apparently a fix is coming but who knows how long that's going to take before we get to enjoy it.

"We fixed an issue resulting in color profiles being ignored after launching certain fullscreen games."

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16199 for PC + Build 15215 for Mobile - Windows Experience Blog

Also this appears to be a really old issue with nvidia or game developers not understanding the correct use for color profiles?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...n-full-screen-games-collaboration-thread-/28/

Frank03, Apr 8, 2017
  3. utilafish Win User
    Colors washed out after Windows 10 Creators Update.

Yes, several horrible display issues following creators fall update. Most noticeably my colors were incorrect - a huge deal for me with a photography hobby.

I run an nvidia graphics card and using the nvidia control panel under Adjust Desktop Color Settings I set "Choose how color is set" to "Use Nvidia Settings" (away from "Other applications control color settings".

That fixed things for me but really MS - messing with my color profiles like this is a huge mistake.

I couldn't find the Display Adapter -> Color Management options described above, even after looking for 10 minutes or so before I came across the nvidia control panel solution.

Another issue I notice is some icons in Universal Apps are no longer smoothed/anti-aliased correctly (Skype for example).

utilafish, Apr 8, 2017
  4. Monstieur Win User

The Windows display profile usually only works in borderless window mode. Games that use full screen exclusive mode usually reset the gamma ramp. Windows would restore the gamma ramp when you quit the game. Some games like Dota 2 have a "-nogammaramp" launch parameter which use the display profile even in fullscreen exclusive mode.

With the Creators update, I noticed two things changed. Windows does not restore the gamma ramp after quitting a fullscreen exclusive mode game. Thus the gamma ramp is broken on both the desktop as well as in other games launched afterwards. The "-nogammaramp" parameter no longer works in Dota 2.

Monstieur, Apr 8, 2017
  5. Dyabzhee Win User
    I see. IF you find solution feel free to share.

Dyabzhee, Apr 9, 2017
  6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Same here and it's very frustrating. My monitor gamma gets reset after exitting most of my games. *Mad

eLPuSHeR, Apr 16, 2017
  7. Monstieur Win User
    Monstieur, Apr 17, 2017
  8. eLPuSHeR Win User

For some weird reason, disabling write combining (USWC) did the trick for me. Now ICC profiles are fine after exitting games.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 21, 2017
  9. Monstieur Win User
    That's probably preventing the gamma table from being written in GPU memory somehow. It will probably cause other problems and a performance hit when writing to GPU memory.

Monstieur, Apr 21, 2017
  10. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Yes. False alarm. It is an intermitent issue.

eLPuSHeR, May 1, 2017
  11. Andre2210 Win User
    Creators update- games ignore nvidia ctrl panel color profile [​IMG]

same here , nvidia colors going back to default.
    GTX 780's
    latest nvidia driver v382.05.

KB4016240 did something to fullscreen apps

uninstall or downloading package won't work to fix anything.
    they need to send another fix for it is my guess.
    i hope they are aware they messed up things.

Andre2210, May 5, 2017
  12. Andre2210 Win User
    hey,

i went back to Anniversary to see if i can spot an error with new drivers or components.
    the new drivers seem to work fine on Anniversary.

so my guess is , nvidia is not the problem.
    then i started investigating the directx components.

in creators update in both system 32 and syswow64 there is a new D3DSCache.dll
    for the shader cache.

i was wondering if any of you could try a game that resets the colors .
    and then with Shader Cache OFF in the nvidia menu. or driver inspector menu.
    for that game or global settings.
    plz let me know if that did anything, would safe me a lot of work going back to creators update for nothing.

edit:
    also that KB fix tries to swap directx 12 components .
    KB4016240 and the replacement update KB4016871

edit 2:
    nevermind , didn't work.
    i stay on Anniversary for now.
    i think it is more stable too.

Andre2210, May 10, 2017
  13. Andre2210 Win User

my suspicion is the new features in creators update or overlays is bugging the whole thing here.
    and the cause might be the directx third party components ???
    no idea

but that is what i notice.
    it is giving me issues with older games in steam or older benchmarks that use DX9 and they also need a 2010 DX package .
    or the redist directx webinstaller.

something on the creators update , might not like the third party DX packages or .dll files in it.
    And i cannot test these games without the package installed.

if i only use the buildin directx 9 , these games won't start.
    the game i test with is Pinball FX in steam on fullscreen.

first time after boot of windows, the game works fine when going in and out.

but the second run , something is different, the colors are fine in game.
    but when leaving the desk becomes dark and the gammaramp reset the colors to default.
    sRGB and nvidia 3dLUT not loaded anymore.

i am pretty noob with .dll of directx , so i hope this makes sense to someone.

Andre2210, May 14, 2017
  14. Dyabzhee Win User
    Can anyone confirm this who is on insiders build 16199

• "We fixed an issue resulting in color profiles being ignored after launching certain fullscreen games."

Dyabzhee, May 20, 2017
  15. Andre2210 Win User
    not fixed in Red stone 3 , still issues with color profiles.
    not sure what build number i tried, but it was RS3
    and i think i found something interesting:
    the games that give me issues are in the list of RADAR leak detection:

Creators update- games ignore nvidia ctrl panel color profile [​IMG]

and all those games seem to have that check box enabled at compatibility for ignore high DPI scaling.
    something like that.

edit : i did not try that build.
    if the fix works on the new build, then they might rollout a cumulative KB if possible.

Andre2210, May 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Creators update- games ignore nvidia ctrl panel color profile - Similar Threads - Creators update games

2. Why is there not a display or video section in my nvidia ctrl panel?!?!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is there not a display or video section in my nvidia ctrl panel?!?!: Pc specs CPU: Intel I5RAM: 8GBGPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE MX350 so um yeah, I want to change my digital vibrance in a game but there's no display option so yeah I need help!!! I followed a lot of tutorials none of them are working....
  3. Why is there not a display or video section in my nvidia ctrl panel?!?!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is there not a display or video section in my nvidia ctrl panel?!?!: Pc specs CPU: Intel I5RAM: 8GBGPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE MX350 so um yeah, I want to change my digital vibrance in a game but there's no display option so yeah I need help!!! I followed a lot of tutorials none of them are working....
  4. Nvidia's control panel color slider doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nvidia's control panel color slider doesn't work.: How do I turn it on again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidias-control-panel-color-slider-doesnt-work/fdf82df8-3c53-4c05-9e4c-1bbd5c24f24f
  5. Nvidia's control panel color slider doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Nvidia's control panel color slider doesn't work.: How do I turn it on again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidias-control-panel-color-slider-doesnt-work/fdf82df8-3c53-4c05-9e4c-1bbd5c24f24f
  6. Nvidia's control panel color slider doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Games keep changing color profile

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Games keep changing color profile: I recently built a new PC, installed Windows 10 Pro, all drivers are up to date. I've noticed on two different monitors I've tried, Windows keeps changing the color profile from my default accurate sRGB calibrated one to something much more saturated and blown out, the only...
  8. Games not running as they should be (not NVIDIA control panel)

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games not running as they should be (not NVIDIA control panel): Hi there I would really appreciate it if someone could lend me a hand with trying to tackle this problem I have. Yesterday I reset my laptop because I was wanting to get it fresh and clean for college and get rid of all the apps and such that came with it as I purchased it...
  9. Games not running as they should be (not NVIDIA control panel)

in Windows 10 Support
    Games not running as they should be (not NVIDIA control panel): Hi there I would really appreciate it if someone could lend me a hand with trying to tackle this problem I have. Yesterday I reset my laptop because I was wanting to get it fresh and clean for college and get rid of all the apps and such that came with it as I purchased it...
  10. Creators update- games ignore nvidia ctrl panel color profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creators update- games ignore nvidia ctrl panel color profile: Hey, Need help with this asap because I am running out of ideas. So I have this weird bug which I've posted to all kind of reddits but I mostly didn't get any response. I am manually adjusting colors with nvidia control panel since stock colors on TN panels sucks....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. games ignore nvidia color profile