Windows 10: Creators Update made my brand new laptop very slow.

Discus and support Creators Update made my brand new laptop very slow. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I just bought a new HP Spectre x360 with an i7 CPU, 16GB RAM & a 512GB SSD drive. Out of the box it was really snappy. Performance was a dream, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Fiasco, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Fiasco Win User

Creators Update made my brand new laptop very slow.

I just bought a new HP Spectre x360 with an i7 CPU, 16GB RAM & a 512GB SSD drive.

Out of the box it was really snappy. Performance was a dream, the thing flies.

But then the creators update downloaded and I installed it, not thinking anything of it.

After that update, performance took a steep nose-dive. If I type a url in Edge or Chrome, it takes 30 seconds to a minute for the system to catch up to the end of the url, each letter loading, one by one, extremely slowly. Even trying to make this post was so bad that I'm now typing this on my old Macbook Air.

Opening a folder also takes about 15 seconds now, and forget about trying to use the start menu.

What can I do to get the snappy performance back now that I've updated?

Current Windows Build number is 15063.413.

:)

Fiasco, Jul 2, 2017

2. Transfer win 10 pro to other laptop

i have updated win 10 pro (retail) in my older laptop, but due to its low configuration its very slow. Now I have purchased new branded HP laptop. So how to transfer licence from my old laptop to my new laptop.

Mahesh Salunke, Jul 2, 2017
  3. my brand new laptop went very slow after windows 10 upgrade. disk space is alway 80% and above

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

In order to help you further with the issue we would like few information from you.

-Is your Device and Drivers upto date?

Meanwhile you can try below Methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Disk clean up.

Follow the steps provided in the below link and check if that helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Method 2:

Let us run System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows and X key together and select Control Panel.

2. Click on Troubleshooting.

3. Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.

4. Click on System Maintenance option.

5. Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions.

Method 3:Reset Internet explorer.

Follow the steps in the below link to reset.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/923737

Disclaimer:

You can reset Internet Explorer settings to return them to the state they were in when Internet Explorer was first installed on your PC. This can be useful for troubleshooting problems that might be caused by settings changed after installation.
    Resetting Internet Explorer isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after the reset.

Reply us back with the update of the issue,we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Jul 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you search the site for
    Creators slow

you will find

Creators Update made my brand new laptop very slow. [​IMG]

Do have a look through these on what has become a frequently occurring topic. See if there's anything that helps, and if so post back with either
    - what you tried that worked
    or
    - what you've tried that hasn't helped.

You may need to do some boot time analysis.
    E.g.
    Very slow boot on Win10 with SSD after creators upadte - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Good luck!

dalchina, Jul 2, 2017
  5. Fiasco Win User
    Prior to making my post I had actually gone through about 7 pages of search results and I still don't have a solution.

So far I've tried the following:
    1. Uninstalled all drivers installed by the update and reinstalled the drivers supplied by HP. No difference.
    2. Tried to rollback to before the update, but of course restore is now broken after the update too.
    3. Did a reset to see if performance would improve, this included deleting the few files I had put on to the computer so far, that wasn't as big a deal to me as it has been for others. Still slow performance after the reset.

So far that's what I've done to try and address the issue. I had no issues with booting. The problem is slow, lagging performance once in Windows.

As with the majority of threads I've read with Creators update issues, nothing has worked so far. Hopefully someone can shed some new light on this.

I am now in the process of doing a factory reset from my HP recovery media that I made as soon as I got the laptop. Hopefully I can disable any updates once I've reset the laptop to factory settings. (Although, doesn't Windows 10 force these updates anyway?)

Fiasco, Jul 2, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, thanks for the clarification.

If after your reset you are still experiencing problems, could you post a screenshot of your task manager please, organising any column showing significant resource use high to low by clicking on the relevant tab?

Repeat this after a clean boot.

Also try Safe Mode - do you notice a performance difference?

I would also recommend that you make sure all updates to date are installed subsequent to the base Creator's build.

Have a look at this:
    Windows 10 slow after manually updating to Creators Update - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Jul 2, 2017
  7. Fiasco Win User
    After doing a factory update, I did the registry hack to prevent driver Windows Update from installing device drivers, then manually installed the Anniversary Update.

The Anniversary Update gave me the option to Defer Feature Upgrades. I'm on Windows 10 Home, so I was really surprised I had that option available. Windows Update then updated right up until before the Creators' Update.

The only issue I have now is Intel WiDi no longer running after the Anniversary Update, but since Intel screwed the pooch on that, there will never be a fix for it.

This is solved for me.

Fiasco, Jul 2, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Ok, so basically you've reverted to and you're trying to stay on the Anniversary build, as I understand it, on the basis that incompatible or problematic drivers are provided if you upgrade to the Creator's build.

The issue with drivers is clearly something some are faced with.

Now, do you realise there's a time limit of perhaps some months on how long you can defer the upgrade? Defer does mean exactly that... it's not permanent.

The only way you can ultimately stop the upgrade is to kill Windows update completely.

So you may have bought yourself some breathing space, but you're in a bit of a quandary, unless you understand exactly where you are placed, and are happy with that.

You may like to try this to check Home vs Pro:
    In Settings, click/tap on the System icon.
    Click/tap on About on the left side. Under PC on the right side, look to see what your Edition is.
    See which Windows 10 Edition you have Installed Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

dalchina, Jul 2, 2017
  9. Fiasco Win User
    I'm fine with that. Hopefully I've bought myself enough time for the upgrade issues to be fixed in the meantime.

I will be mostly running my laptop in Linux going forward though, so I'm probably fine staying on Anniversary update for now.

Fiasco, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Creators Update made my brand new laptop very slow. - Similar Threads - Creators Update made

2. New laptop very slow!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New laptop very slow!: Hi I am Shubhang,I have bought a new laptop a month ago. At starting it worked very smoothly as all new laptops do. But after a week, it begin to work like a slow computer. I have used many junk cleaners and registry cleaners. But they didn't work that much. I have used Iobit...
  3. New laptop very slow!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New laptop very slow!: Hi I am Shubhang,I have bought a new laptop a month ago. At starting it worked very smoothly as all new laptops do. But after a week, it begin to work like a slow computer. I have used many junk cleaners and registry cleaners. But they didn't work that much. I have used Iobit...
  4. New laptop very slow!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Brand New Laptop Very Slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Brand New Laptop Very Slow: Hi (I am waiting for a new fan for my old laptop, but it's possible that has died completely). In the meantime I am using the new laptop I actually bought just for my creative stuff. And already, despite it being almost brand new (and I deleted what bloatware I could), it is...
  6. Slow system on a brand new gamer laptop

Slow system on a brand new gamer laptop: Hi, I bought this laptop Asus x571 a couple of days ago, and from the very beginning I realized it took a lot of time to turn on. Then, I installed my games, and while playing I had no issues, actually, it is a gamer pc considering the price. The problem is that when I need...
  7. window 10 is very very slow on my brand new HP pavilion laptop.

window 10 is very very slow on my brand new HP pavilion laptop.: My brand new HP pavilion laptop that i bought recently is extrmely slow from the beginning...... please help me and suggest me a solution for this. i will be very thankful to Microsoft. Should i degrade the window to 8.1 or what? it is very slow at startup and when i open...
  8. why is my brand new laptop running soooooo slow?

why is my brand new laptop running soooooo slow?: why is my brand new laptop running soooooo slow? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/why/8c33db41-5466-41c8-9d2b-765f8325daa5
  9. Brand new laptop pretty slow

Brand new laptop pretty slow: hey, I have lenovo yoga 510 and it's pretty slow from what I expected from him, I don't why I have it about a month and I check for vit=rus but didn't found, what can be the problem? 75810
  10. Brand New Laptop Is Running Really Slow

Brand New Laptop Is Running Really Slow: I just brought a brand new HP Pavillion 360 and it came with windows 10 already installed. Everytime I do anything whether it's starting up or opening a programme it takes a really long time and I can't figure out why I've googled it and found most people say it's because of...