Windows 10: Creators Update - tablet - not enough space for upgrade. SD card?

Discus and support Creators Update - tablet - not enough space for upgrade. SD card? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I have an old Windows 10 tablet that I want to update to the latest Creators Update, which I was going to install using the Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alexncfc, Apr 5, 2017.

1. alexncfc Win User

Creators Update - tablet - not enough space for upgrade. SD card?

Hi all,

I have an old Windows 10 tablet that I want to update to the latest Creators Update, which I was going to install using the Windows 10 Update Assistant. It is only a 32GB model, but I remember when a previous update came out, it let me use the SD card for temporary storage during the upgrade. Now setup is demanding 8GB needs to be free on drive C. I can't actually see how I can free up anywhere this much space on the primary OS drive, so is there any way to let setup use the Micro SD card (which has plenty of free space) rather than the C: drive (which has very little)?

I've tried both the Upgrade Assistant and the Media Creation Tool with no luck.

Many thanks

:)

alexncfc, Apr 5, 2017

2. Can I download and install Windows 10 upgrade from an SD card?

I have a Craig tablet with Windows 8.1 on it and tried to upgrade to Windows 10. I do not have enough space on the internal drive to install and complete the process. Is there a way to download the update and install it from an SD card

Bluescreen616, Apr 5, 2017
  3. sd card reply

I have already answered these questions previously

All I want is my sd card to work

my tablet keeps saying can't update not enough space etc

Yet I have a sd card that's empty

suemurphy5851, Apr 5, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Did you save the ISO file to the SD card, mount it from there and run setup.exe from the mounted ISO file?

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    That's the way I've done it, save the offline install file to the 64GB MicroSDXC card D: drive then install to Win10 on C: drive. The 32-bit version is usually just under 1GB while the 64-bit version is usually between 1 and 1.5GB.

Berton, Apr 5, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    I'm guessing you tried the MCT's 'upgrade this PC' option - that won't work due to lack of space. You need to use its 'create media for another PC' option to make the .iso file. Put it on an SD card as others have said, then mount the .iso and run the Setup you'll find there.

If you have USB ports, Setup can use an ntfs formatted USB stick for extra storage (it can put windows.old there, I believe).

Bree, Apr 6, 2017
  7. Lambert58 Win User
    same problem, it is only allowing to place the iso on my C: drive, where I dont have over 5GB, but I have 3 other rives where it will fit, but, I cannot even get it to offer me an option, just says C: is full make space and come back. I'm trying to d/l the iso which I will burn to disc. I tried "for this computer", as well as unchecking that box, same results.

Anyone know how ro d/l the new help app as well, cant locate that either.

It's all over now baby blue

Lambert58, Apr 6, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

It may require the drives to be ntfs formatted...

Bree, Apr 6, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Since the ISO file is over 4 GB, it does require the target storage location to be NTFS formatted.

NavyLCDR, Apr 6, 2017
  10. You have to free up the required space because the install will backup the current windows to windows.old
    You then use Disk Cleanup which will delete windows.old, & you can reclaim your space.

You can put the iso on any other drive & it will install to C-drive.

Comp Cmndo, Apr 7, 2017
  11. Lambert58 Win User

Lambert58, Apr 12, 2017
  12. chota120 Win User
    Small Asus notebook with 28GB SSD running Win 10 Anniversary with just 1.09GB space on C drive - downloaded Creator update to another PC and installed it onto a 16GB USB stick - Asus informed me it would need to use available space on C drive and 10GB of the USB stick - all up and running now. Thanks for the info in previous replies that prompted me to give it a go - the little old lady who owns it will be delighted, she was getting frustrated by keep receiving messages about there not being enough space on C drive to complete updates.

chota120, Jul 24, 2017
  13. clayto Win User

This thread interests me as it is directly relevant to another thread I have started. I need to do a repair OS Reset but free space on C keeps dropping despite cleanups etc. It is normally 5 to 10 GB but has plummeted to only half a GB. I cant use the SD Card as hoped because its file system only allows 4 GB. But I have an external USB HDD with NTFS so may try launching the ISO from that. Is that likely to be OK?

clayto, Aug 3, 2017
  14. Berton Win User
    On my 3 Tablets with 32GB drives, I have added 64GB MicroSDXC cards [same as used in smartphones] and installed programs I need on them, frees up some space on C:.

Most SD cards come factory-formatted as FAT32, Windows can't do more than 32GB. One could reformat as NTFS to allow large files [about 4GB] or exFAT which Windows can do. There are other programs or operating systems such as Linux with GPARTED or the free downloadable GPARTED to create a bootable CD to manipulate partitions, I use both depending upon the situation/need.

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Creators Update - tablet - not enough space for upgrade. SD card? - Similar Threads - Creators Update tablet

2. Update - Not enough space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update - Not enough space: trying to install updates. Get message "Not enough space" need 1.6 GB. Added external drive to create space 11.4 GB. Stilltries to "make space" does not recognize available space on external drive....
  3. Update from 1809 to 1909 with not enough hard drive space but external SD card available

Update from 1809 to 1909 with not enough hard drive space but external SD card available: My ASUS T100 has Win 10 - 1809 installed and cannot upgrade to 1909 because of insufficient HD space ..... Help Cam Tofano *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  4. Upgraded Win10 on a tablet, SD card reader won't work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgraded Win10 on a tablet, SD card reader won't work: So when I was in Japan, I bought a Fujitsu Arrows Tab Q506(?) tablet. It needed some OS updates. After said OS updates, the card reader won't work at all. It's stuck at "The device cannot start(code 10)". It was working before the upgrades. I have tried everything to get it...
  5. "Not enough space on" ... when there's enough space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Not enough space on" ... when there's enough space.: Getting a very strange error when trying to copy a file onto a drive: [ATTACH] Looks like there's enough space to me... halp. :P https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-enough-space-on-when-theres-enough-space/c484ca99-4210-4ee7-8d07-d66ad4843183"
  6. UPDATING AND NOT ENOUGH SPACE

UPDATING AND NOT ENOUGH SPACE: Good Morning and Happy Holidays Everyone I am trying to update my Lpetop unfortunaly I need to free up space on my C: Drive, But I don't know how to do this, I have on my storage usage System and Reserve 11.5 GB Apps and Games 1.7 GB Other 14.4I...
  7. not enough space to update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    not enough space to update: I have removed all files on to a thumb drive and I still do not have enough space to perform an update on my surface. I have deleted every program that is not required. How can perform the update?...
  8. Use SD card D drive for Upgrades. SD card not recognized for upgrades?

Use SD card D drive for Upgrades. SD card not recognized for upgrades?: I'm setting up a budget computer lab and I'm in possession of a bunch of windows 10 Mini pcs Z8350, with 2GB Ram and 32GB eMMC ss drives. These little pcs work great to a point, after some quick optimization, and migration of larger files and applications to a SD card D:...
  9. fall creators on small 32gb ssd, not enough space

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    fall creators on small 32gb ssd, not enough space: The latest win 10 upgrade requires a minimum of 8gb free space on the C: drive. This is a problem for those with a small storage media, ie typically 32gb. Perhaps Microsoft needs to reconsider how these upgrades are implemented? It shouldn't be necessary to have to...
  10. Not enough space for upgrade

Not enough space for upgrade: Hi, I'm in possession of a Lenovo Yoga 300, which has Win 8.1 on it. I offered to upgrade it to Win 10 for the owner (the notification says it's fine for this). However, the SSD is only ~20Gb, and after a disk cleanup has only approx 5 or 6Gb's free. Windows upgrade said it...