Windows 10: Creators update Taskbar shrinks after reboot

Discus and support Creators update Taskbar shrinks after reboot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Brand new system that I just purchased week ago today, half way through installing my apps onto it creators update hits me. Let its run it's thing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wjbodin3, Apr 14, 2017.

1. wjbodin3 Win User

Creators update Taskbar shrinks after reboot

Brand new system that I just purchased week ago today, half way through installing my apps onto it creators update hits me. Let its run it's thing figuring since most of my apps I have not installed yet this would almost be a fresh install of that.

I let the update finish and go tweak some settings that were changed most noticeably my taskbar. I had it set for auto-hiding which was still working but also had it set for 2 lines high which I had to reset. Relocked the task bar and everything was fine until I rebooted and the height was back to 1 though it was still auto-hiding fine.
    How can I fix this as it was fine before the creators update, well the day or 2 I had this system before it hit me. Tried google but could not come across any solutions that were not years old and there for not for this update.

:)

wjbodin3, Apr 14, 2017
  2. Corsair2 Win User

Windows 10 taskbar reverts to single width on restart.

I have Windows 10 Pro Creators Update version 1703, build 15063.138.

Since the update to the Creators Edition I've encountered a problem with my Taskbar not maintaining it's double width setting upon either a restart or a shutdown then a reboot.

This was not the case before I did the Creators update. My Taskbar has always been set to double width; with no problems.

It doesn't matter whether I Lock the Taskbar or not, it reverts to single width after any restart or shutdown/reboot.

The installation of the Creators Update went without a hitch.

Any ideas??

Corsair2, Apr 14, 2017
  3. Taskbar in Windows 10

I have two monitors. I adjusted the size of the taskbar on both of them to be bigger than standard.

Ever since I have updated to the Creators update, the size of the taskbar on the secondary monitors after a reboot defaults back to the regular size. On the main monitor, the size get's saved, and after a reboot is restored to the set value.

Experimenting with changing all kinds of settings of the taskbar does not change this behavior.

How to fix this?

Thanks

Joerg

Joerg Poetzsch, Apr 14, 2017
  4. Zippa Win User

The same thing is happening to me.

Zippa, Apr 15, 2017
  5. wjbodin3 Win User
    No idea what has changed but I just rebooted the system, actually it locked up on me trying to figure out if this new game bar function is worth it and when I rebooted the task bar kept it's size.

wjbodin3, Apr 16, 2017
  6. Zippa Win User
    I guess we will have to wait until somoene comes up with a fix. I'm not expecting Windows to do anything in the near future.

Zippa, Apr 16, 2017
  7. wjbodin3 Win User
    And today on normal reboots the taskbar was back to changing sizes, I very seldom shut the system off so I guess just have to deal with it.

wjbodin3, Apr 18, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Try not setting it to autohide and make sure that it is "Locked" to see what happens. There are always problems for the first couple of months after Microsoft pushes out a release too early for 10.

bro67, Apr 18, 2017
  9. gregyurkon, Apr 18, 2017
  10. wjbodin3 Win User
    I am hesitant to try this fix ad I have only turned off the options IN Cortana not disabled it in anyway on this machine.

Also I do not have that key path in my registry and i do not know if it was changed with the creators update since that tutorial is well over a year old and therefore several updates old.

wjbodin3, Apr 18, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    You may then want to go back to a image if you have one before Creator's was installed. I do not even install until a couple of months later on my wife's laptop that is switched between Windows and Linux Mint. Better to wait until the driver's for the display, etc catch up, which can also cause weird behaviors, along with if you are using Classic Shell or Start10. Always rule out issues by going into msconfig and do a Diagnostic Startup to see if it happens. If not, then go to a Selective to further diagnose.

bro67, Apr 19, 2017
  12. Happening for me too. It happens when I auto hide the taskbar. When I turn off "auto hide" I no longer have the problem. I created a new user profile to test, same problem. Microsoft had me try to install Win10 1703 upgrade again but same problem. Even happens on clean boot. Unable to roll back to Win10 1607 unfortunately.

WdlsBadPuppy, Apr 20, 2017
  13. bro67 Win User

This has been a huge issue with Windows 10 for a very long time. Started back with Windows 7 after SP1, around the time that 10 was still a development with limited testers and then migrated into the Insider program and has not left. It has to do with the code in Explorer and I am sure a lot of that has to do with Edge being used for its code to now run Explorer. Microsoft does not make things easy, they make it harder in finding fixes to their mistakes.

bro67, Apr 20, 2017
  14. bro67 Win User
    Check in Registry what the value is under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\AutoHide Zero if disabled, One if enabled. As for other changes that you may not already know, which could also be a fix. You can try them from Collection of Windows 10 Hidden Secret Registry Tweaks - AskVG

See this for the Policy and Registry Edit about StuckRects2 key being the issue that has been around since 7. How to Auto Hide Taskbar in Windows 10/8/7 More info on the various key items with Taskbar and such. [SOLVED] Taskbar autohide enable/disable? - Windows Forum - Spiceworks

bro67, Apr 20, 2017
  15. wjbodin3 Win User
    This thread is not about auto hide not working, in fact I do not notice anyone saying that function of the task bar is not working. This thread was started about the taskbar not keeping a resized size after a reboot. Also none of those links that you posted say they are valid for the most recent update so I will not be trying them since the one listed to activate auto hide, which works fine for me, points to a registry key that is not even in my registry. I do not wish to create other problems with functions that are working with the built in controls by adding keys that may have either gotten moved someplace else or been eliminated totally. Like I said in my first post the creators update was installed on my system , new out of the box, before I had a chance to start tweaking most settings to my liking, and before I had even installed more then a handful of programs, none of which had an issue on my old computer.

wjbodin3, Apr 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Creators update Taskbar shrinks after reboot - Similar Threads - Creators update Taskbar

2. Taskbar not loading after reboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar not loading after reboot: My taskbar when rebooting my desktop, is in constant "loading" mode - the window key and all the app icons are missing. It will only appear after I wait a few minutes and I double click on the taskbar, but if I don't double click on it, it won't ever load. Is there anything I...
  3. "windows 10" every update causes my taskbar to shrink after restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    "windows 10" every update causes my taskbar to shrink after restart: Hello, For the last couple of years, every update that requires a restart causes my taskbar to shrink from 2 high to single high, whether it's locked on not. Running 7 Virtual Desktops to cut down on the taskbar clutter... usually only 1 or 2 apps over 4 Desktops, but have...
  4. Address toolbar not shrinking with taskbar

Address toolbar not shrinking with taskbar: Hello, When I use the small taskbar buttons, the address toolbar does not shrink with the taskbar causing a gap between the icons and the bottom of the screen. Is there anyway to fix this? I have tried restarting windows explorer and that doesn't work, neither does a...
  5. Windows Update after Shrinking

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update after Shrinking: After resetting the laptop its available shrinking space has been increased. If i create a partition on that increased space by allocating about 175 GB of space to C drive, will my windows get update normally? If not then what will happen?...
  6. Taskbar Issue After Reboot

Taskbar Issue After Reboot: I had to do a hard reboot after my computer became unresponsive, in which Windows 10 was reinstalled. Now my taskbar now looks different and I am unable to change the color of it from white. Any idea on how to fix this? [IMG] [ATTACH]...
  7. Taskbar pinned items gets deleted on reboot (after Creators Update)

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar pinned items gets deleted on reboot (after Creators Update): After the Creators Update I experience this odd behaviour: every time I reboot the system (or restart explorer) almost all my pinned taskbar item disappears this happens in the hidden TaskBar folder: C:\Users\(user-name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick...
  8. Taskbar Shrinks Randomly

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Shrinks Randomly: I have a Dell Lat e5550. I have it on a docking station with two monitors. Everything displayed correctly until last week. All of a sudden when I click anything in the taskbar the taskbar moves like this [img] The wallpapers will no longer line up correctly and the...
  9. Black Screen with Creators Update Installed and a Reboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen with Creators Update Installed and a Reboot: Installed the Windows 10 Creators update for the 3rd time to completion each time. After the install, everything was running as expected. I was looking at a digital magazine within Zinio, and after completing several issues the program lockup and I needed to reboot. Zinio...
  10. Taskbar problems after Creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar problems after Creators update: I have had the taskbar configured in two rows, with the bottom row being reserved for Quick Launch, for many years ever since the functionality was available on Win98a or XP. It has never failed, through all upgrades and updates. But after the Creators update, the taskbar no...