Windows 10: Credentials required to transfer document over network

Discus and support Credentials required to transfer document over network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to move a document from my laptop to my desktop via my home network. But lately, I'm getting a window that asks for my account name and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gogreen, Jun 21, 2016.

1. gogreen Win User

Credentials required to transfer document over network

I'm trying to move a document from my laptop to my desktop via my home network. But lately, I'm getting a window that asks for my account name and password to perform this transfer. It didn't before. I did switch routers recently, though. Still, I'm entering the password for my account name correctly, I think, but the password isn't accepted. How do I fix this problem? Is there a laptop networking setting that lets me bypass this step? I don't get the same window when I move documents from my desktop to the laptop. Thanks.
    Credentials required to transfer document over network [​IMG]

:)

gogreen, Jun 21, 2016

2. Unable to access computers connected in Peer-to-peer connection, asking for network credentials to enter on Windows 10

OK, so no network credentials on any computer, peer to peer network. Can see computers, but Windows 10 demanding network credentials. Have disabled the Password required on networking.

Any ideas Microsoft demanding pay for their Pro services to fix their damned issue. ARRRGGGHHH.

Original title: Network Credentials - ARRRGGGHHH

RogerStrahan, Jun 21, 2016
  3. Security Window popup

Same problem occurring using a Sharepoint site. Once logged into the site, a Windows Security popup asks for the same login information when I try to access a document. Looks like a credentials issue. How do I turn off the credentials requirement?

ChrisSchatte, Jun 21, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

How are you entering your account name and password? Are you using a Microsoft account on either computer (or both?), are you using your Microsoft account email as the username? What is the name of the folder you are in when you open a command prompt? That is the real "username" of your account.

Mystere, Jun 22, 2016
  5. gogreen Win User
    I'm entering the correct account name (same as the command prompt folder). Would it be prudent to attempt to change my account password? Is there a setting I missed? I wonder if the problem occurred when I changed routers and created a new connection. Thanks, Mystere.

gogreen, Jun 22, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Not related to switching routers. It is related to the Credential manager for Windows 10. Can you access without Password protection on in Advanced sharing in Network for both machines? Also make sure that the folder you want to access is set to share with "Everyone".

bro67, Jun 22, 2016
  7. gogreen Win User
    How would I access the credential manager for Windows 10? Please explain.

I see no password protection option in advanced sharing in networks for both machines. I have both machines set the same. I have no trouble reaching my laptop from the desktop on my network. The problem is that I get the account name and password prompt when I try to access the desktop from the laptop.

I get the account name and password prompt for the entire machine, not individual folders, so I don't think this is a folder issue. What makes you think it's a folder problem?

Thanks.

gogreen, Jun 22, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

• Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.
    • In the left pane, click Manage your credentials.
    Stuff like this usually happens when a Live account does not sync across machines properly, or during the shutdown process, it does not get updated on Microsoft's servers.

bro67, Jun 22, 2016
  9. gogreen Win User
    Thank you, bro67. I think I've discovered the problem. "Manage your credentials" works fine on my laptop. I tried to access "Manage your credentials" on my desktop PC, but I get the attached error. How do I restore or create these credentials anew?

gogreen, Jun 22, 2016
  10. Mystere Win User
    Mystere, Jun 22, 2016
  11. gogreen Win User
    Thanks, Mystere, for pointing to this advice. However, I cannot start the credentials service. Permissions are OK there, and sfc /scannow shows no problems. After restart I still get Error 5 (attached). *Confused

gogreen, Jun 22, 2016
  12. Mystere Win User
    Mystere, Jun 22, 2016
  13. gogreen Win User

None of these suggestions works. Still can't access "Manage your credentials." I also tried this with a different account. Same Error 5. I'm at a loss.

gogreen, Jun 22, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    The sad thing is that Credential Manager is still tied to Internet Explorer, along with tied to Edge, which is taking the place of IE. The good thing is that you should hopefully be able to fix with this info. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/creden...orking-windows

Open up Services in Administration tools and see if the Credential Manager service is running and on automatic. If stopped, set it to Manual, then try to start it. It will say "Vault Manager" when you open that service up. You are still in that service as you will see in the title of the window.

You can also try this fix: 1. Make sure you’re enabled [COLOR=#004276 !important]hidden items[/COLOR] in [COLOR=#004276 !important]File Explorer[/COLOR]. Press
    Credentials required to transfer document over network [​IMG]
    + R and type following location in Run:C:\Documents and [COLOR=#004276 !important]Settings[/COLOR]\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect*Substitute C: with your system root drive and <USERNAME> with user profile name

bro67, Jun 23, 2016
  15. gogreen Win User
    Thanks, bro67. I tried the suggestions to no avail.

I don't understand this suggestion or the syntax. Color? What does that to do with starting credentials manager?

Thanks.

gogreen, Jun 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Credentials required to transfer document over network - Similar Threads - Credentials required transfer

2. Credentials Needed to Access Computer over Private Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Credentials Needed to Access Computer over Private Network: I have two desktops on a single private network one running Windows 11 Pro and the other Windows 10 Pro. Using File Manager I can see the Windows 10 machine, but to view the files it requires user credentials. Both machines are connected to the same Microsoft account while I...
  3. Credentials Needed to Access Computer over Private Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Credentials Needed to Access Computer over Private Network: I have two desktops on a single private network one running Windows 11 Pro and the other Windows 10 Pro. Using File Manager I can see the Windows 10 machine, but to view the files it requires user credentials. Both machines are connected to the same Microsoft account while I...
  4. Sharing Folders over network requires credentials for my university email account.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing Folders over network requires credentials for my university email account.: For some reason, even though I removed my university account from both of my computers in the windows 10 settings, when I try to access a folder I have shared over my local network it askes for my university account's credentials. This is not an immediate issue, it is just...
  5. Required to enter network credentials when connecting to computer on home network

Required to enter network credentials when connecting to computer on home network: Question: How to connect two home computers using the same Microsoft account on both computers? Prompted to enter network credentials when connecting to the target computer but rejected when entered. Using the same Microsoft account on both computers. Note: The Microsoft...
  6. Network Credentials?

Network Credentials?: After the last update, I can no longer connect my computers. It asks for "network credentials". Where do these come from? Who set them. And why? I searched all over the internet, and there are any of "solutions," none of which seem to work, including removing all password...
  7. Network Credentials

Network Credentials: I just added a 3rd computer in my home. Everytime I try to connect the computers, it's asking for my user name & password in Network Credentials, I've never been asked that before & I have no idea what those are. Where can I find my Network Credentials? Thanx for your...
  8. network credentials

network credentials: What are network credentials? Every time I try to look thru the network to see my other computers files I get a box asking for user and password. I have no idea how to fill this in. Can you help me or send me someplace where I can find out about networking?...
  9. Network credentials

Network credentials: How exactly do you create a network credential that works ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-credentials/4c78a2f6-83fa-445e-8410-cf36d7c70540"
  10. network credentials

in Windows 10 Customization
    network credentials: how do I find my network credentials for getting to one computer to another computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/network-credentials/5a264d6d-b154-4085-ab0b-81d2ed1ca00e