Windows 10: Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working

Discus and support Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello people, Hope you can help me to solve this problem! Since I upgraded my computer to Win 10, I'm trying to deal with this problem. When my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lucas Souza, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working

Hello people,

Hope you can help me to solve this problem!

Since I upgraded my computer to Win 10, I'm trying to deal with this problem. When my computer starts it shows the message: "Critical error start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in".

I joined to a forum to look for some help, and I found an instruction which said to run the command "chkdsk /f /r".

So, I did it; my computer restarted and it was solved. But, when I turned the machine on in the next day the message was there again! I ran the command another time, the computer rebooted and it was solved. But, every time I turn on my computer the message pops up for me and I have to run the command in cmd to my machine work.

Can someone help me to find a solution without the necessity to reinstall Windows?

:)

Lucas Souza, Jan 22, 2016

2. Critical error: Start Menu and Cortana aren't working

Original title: Critical error

Again: Critical error: Start Menu and Cortana aren't working! How can I fix this recurring problem?

PaulRecsei, Jan 22, 2016
  3. In my laptop , there are problem for critical error, start menu and cortana aren't working.

* Original Title: critical error

in my laptop , there are problem for critical error start menu and cortana aren't working. we'll trt to fix it the next time you sign in

shekhar kumarMr., Jan 22, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working

There are previous posts on this and also the tutorial on running DISM. The info on running chkdsk is not the solution. See below.

This is an issue caused by Internet Security Software that we are finding out. If you have any third party Internet Security Software installed, uninstall it and the error should go bye-bye.

bro67, Jan 22, 2016
  5. So, my machine will be without security software?

Lucas Souza, Jan 22, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    I never stated that. I stated that the problem that the fix is to remove the Security Software and the problem will go away.

The reason that those who run third party security utilities are getting this problem, is because they upgraded from a previous edition of Windows, with a incompatible version of a Internet Security Software, that did not automatically update with the Windows 10 fixes, from the Software company's download repository.

The majority of us are just using the standard Windows Firewall when off of our private LAN's, Windows Defender on the machine, using Chrome or Firefox with the proper extensions/add-on's, to prevent the bad stuff from trying to get through on webpages. If you download attachments from unknown sources, yes you would still get malware, by not just chucking the unknowingly sent malware email.

bro67, Jan 22, 2016
  7. derodger Win User
    My sons computer has just started showing this problem. It has not been upgraded from a previous version of windows 10 but came with windows 10 already installed on it. So why all of a sudden is this starting?

derodger, Mar 27, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Latest update when it connected. The problem stems back to Windows 7 SP1, then rolled into 8 and then into 10, because Microsoft has stuck with some of the old code that is supposed to get flushed when Redstone comes out.

You have to remember that right now we are dealing with Beta Software. Insiders deal with the Alpha software. Until Microsoft quits playing around with the OS, there will be issues that have to be dealt with.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working - Similar Threads - Critical error start

2. Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working, Cortana not installed

in Cortana
    Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working, Cortana not installed: Recently a few domain joined PCs updated from 1909 to the May 2020 Update 2004, and now two users with roaming profiles have an issue, that after signing in and trying to open the Start Menu, they get an error message about a "Critical Error. Your Start menu isn't working....
  3. Critical Error Start Menu Cortana Not Working

in Cortana
    Critical Error Start Menu Cortana Not Working: Good Day all. I have a very big problem with my pc and I really need a very good solution to solve it if there's any. This error may be common to few but mine is like an evolved version of it. Yes, few people get this error due to some regrettable actions they performed,...
  4. Critical Error. Start menu and Cortana aren't Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical Error. Start menu and Cortana aren't Working: I get a bsod with "Critical error. Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try fix it the next time you sign in." Now I'm no pc tech head or anything so I have no clue Wtf is going on. I can't access anything on my laptop. Help me get rid of issue and allow me to use my...
  5. Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working".

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working".: Hello to all on this forum, I am a new member so this is my first post. Hopefully someone will be able to assist On start up I am getting a Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working". I have read and tried many of the possible solutions on this forum with no...
  6. Critical Error - ''Start Menu & Cortana aren't working''

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical Error - ''Start Menu & Cortana aren't working'': Hi Downloaded Windows 10 over a month ago and it has been working fine since Today I installed the latest version of iTunes and since then I get the following:- Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana aren't working - We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in...
  7. Cortana and Start Menu aren't working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Start Menu aren't working: I upgraded to Win 10 a week ago and after a long updating session was well pleased with the OS - everything seemed to work normally and much faster than before. However, a day after the last updates were installed (KB3081449 and KB3081448) my normal screen appeared with a...
  8. CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi

in Windows 10 Support
    CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi: CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. SIGN OUT NOW I upgraded from WIN 7 SP1 to build 10240 on FAST Track. I did a RECOVERY DRIVE, and after trying to restore from it, I am getting this message - in a loop,...
  9. "Critical error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working"

in Windows 10 Support
    "Critical error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working": Hey, I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop last night from 8.1 and it had been working fine this morning. However in the afternoon I got a notification that there had been a driver failure and I should restart to repair it. Ever since I have though I've been having...
  10. Critical Error with Start Menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical Error with Start Menu and Cortana: Ok so when I clicked the start menu I usually saw a 'Start Menu' tile. I never really took it on but I believe it was sometime last week out of curiosity I clicked the tile and a message came up. I don't remember what it wrote but it was basically saying that something wasn't...