Windows 10: "Critical error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working"

Discus and support "Critical error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey, I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop last night from 8.1 and it had been working fine this morning. However in the afternoon I got a notification... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Webbie, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Webbie Win User

"Critical error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working"

Hey, I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop last night from 8.1 and it had been working fine this morning. However in the afternoon I got a notification that there had been a driver failure and I should restart to repair it. Ever since I have though I've been having difficulties. After I log in I'm stuck on a black screen with only the cursor visible. If you leave it for about 10 minutes eventually the desktop appears, however I'm prompted with the error message in the title and the task bar hasn't loaded. If you try and click on the task bar you eventually get the pop up "Microsoft Windows: the application is not responding" and it gives me the option to end process which does nothing. I'm unable to access control panel, I can use ctrl + alt + delete, however I can't launch task manager.
    Booting in safe mode I don't get the critical error, however aside from that the situation is identical. I've tried resetting the PC, performing a system restore to before the update, and start-up repair,all to no avail.
    I'm completely out of ideas, if anyone could give me any help I'd be very grateful! Any other info needed just ask!

:)

Webbie, Jul 29, 2015
  2. royz(2) Win User

windows 10

A critical error cames on the screen saying.. "Start menu and cortana aren't working" and the window (bottom left) won't work, HELP!

royz(2), Jul 29, 2015
  3. MikeJWH Win User
    Is there a fix for this? Critical error involving Cortana.

How do you correct this: "Critical Error. Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it next time you sign in.

MikeJWH, Jul 29, 2015
  4. emeshnep Win User

Until microsoft comes up with right fix, restart and then disable cortana. If it still keeps doing that, try with different windows ID if you have any other. Good luck

emeshnep, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Webbie Win User
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have access to any of the settings, so I'm not sure I'm able to disable Cortana or create new user profiles.

I logged on again today after having left it off for about 16 hours and upon logging in I was met with a dialog box on a black screen:

"RunDLL
    There was a problem starting WSClient.dll
    WSClient.dll is not a valid win32 application"
    and an ok button which when clicked returns me to the black screen.

What does this mean and what should I do now?

Webbie, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Ralph113 Win User
    I ended up calling Microsoft. They took control of my machine. They gave me a new user account, all seemed to work. They called back 2 days later and re-downloaded windows 10 for Home. Right now all is OK. I got my User name back. It was a very frustrating few days, As an aside technician said it was a very common problem and the new download eliminated the issue. This is what happens when one is one of the first to try new technology. I should have waited 6-8 months before I installed. Everything seems fine now and I do like Windows 10. I hope it lasts

Ralph113, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. "Critical error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working" - Similar Threads - Critical error Start

2. Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working, Cortana not installed

in Cortana
    Critical Error - Start Menu isn't working, Cortana not installed: Recently a few domain joined PCs updated from 1909 to the May 2020 Update 2004, and now two users with roaming profiles have an issue, that after signing in and trying to open the Start Menu, they get an error message about a "Critical Error. Your Start menu isn't working....
  3. Critical Error Start Menu Cortana Not Working

in Cortana
    Critical Error Start Menu Cortana Not Working: Good Day all. I have a very big problem with my pc and I really need a very good solution to solve it if there's any. This error may be common to few but mine is like an evolved version of it. Yes, few people get this error due to some regrettable actions they performed,...
  4. Critical Error. Start menu and Cortana aren't Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical Error. Start menu and Cortana aren't Working: I get a bsod with "Critical error. Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try fix it the next time you sign in." Now I'm no pc tech head or anything so I have no clue Wtf is going on. I can't access anything on my laptop. Help me get rid of issue and allow me to use my...
  5. Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working".

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working".: Hello to all on this forum, I am a new member so this is my first post. Hopefully someone will be able to assist On start up I am getting a Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working". I have read and tried many of the possible solutions on this forum with no...
  6. Critical Error - ''Start Menu & Cortana aren't working''

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical Error - ''Start Menu & Cortana aren't working'': Hi Downloaded Windows 10 over a month ago and it has been working fine since Today I installed the latest version of iTunes and since then I get the following:- Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana aren't working - We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in...
  7. Cortana and Start Menu aren't working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Start Menu aren't working: I upgraded to Win 10 a week ago and after a long updating session was well pleased with the OS - everything seemed to work normally and much faster than before. However, a day after the last updates were installed (KB3081449 and KB3081448) my normal screen appeared with a...
  8. CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi

in Windows 10 Support
    CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi: CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. SIGN OUT NOW I upgraded from WIN 7 SP1 to build 10240 on FAST Track. I did a RECOVERY DRIVE, and after trying to restore from it, I am getting this message - in a loop,...
  9. Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical error start menu and cortana aren't working: Hello people, Hope you can help me to solve this problem! Since I upgraded my computer to Win 10, I'm trying to deal with this problem. When my computer starts it shows the message: "Critical error start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next...
  10. Critical Error with Start Menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical Error with Start Menu and Cortana: Ok so when I clicked the start menu I usually saw a 'Start Menu' tile. I never really took it on but I believe it was sometime last week out of curiosity I clicked the tile and a message came up. I don't remember what it wrote but it was basically saying that something wasn't...