Windows 10: critical error start menu

Discus and support critical error start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, hoping this is correct section, (moved from BSOD,crashes) I wish to reopen thread on this subject as the last time I looked it was closed in June... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Technewby, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Technewby Win User

critical error start menu

Hi, hoping this is correct section, (moved from BSOD,crashes) I wish to reopen thread on this subject as the last time I looked it was closed in June 2016. Lately I keep getting a critical error when I try to access start menu. I have followed Brinks tutorial on subject, but it did not work for me. I do not have Avast, I do not have Dropbox. It has been more than ten days since build change, so I cannot go back. Have build number, 1607. Have been using Windows 10 for 6 mths. I know this problem has been around for a while, but does anyone have a different solution, (not a work around) . Thanks in advance.

:)

Technewby, Feb 8, 2017

2. critical error start menu

Critical Error in Start Menu
    I keep on getting Critical Error message. "Your Start Menu isn't working. ... Critical Error in Start Menu

scottgroup, Feb 8, 2017
  3. virenthakur, Feb 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you can quote a link to your previous thread, and to the particular tutorial you're referring to, and the exact error message you are receiving, plus how you are trying to launch the start menu, someone might be able to help you.

Can you also confirm whether this happens in Safe Mode?

Have you tried an in-place upgrade repair install?

Thanks!

dalchina, Feb 8, 2017
  5. Technewby Win User
    Hi,thanks for reply. sorry but after 10 days of reading web and forumposts I have mixed where I read what. The tutorial was
    Howto Reinstall and Re-register All Built-in Windows Apps in Windows 8and 10Publishedby Shawn Brink
    View Profile: Brink - Windows 10 Help Forums
    Sorry, no offence.
    See screen shot for error message.

I am left clicking start menu.
    I have not tried in place upgrade repair install, not sure which thatis, but I did try start menu repair troubleshooter from Microsoft, see screen shot 2.
    When in safe mode nothing at all happens when I click start.
    This does appear to be an old problem but as yet not found solution.
    Thanks in advance.

Technewby, Feb 9, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    The details of the in-place upgrade install are there in the link.

Essentially: boot into normal mode and do a Windows install.

Please read all - should be clear.

dalchina, Feb 9, 2017
  7. Technewby Win User
    Thanks, will give it a go.

Technewby, Feb 9, 2017
  8. Technewby Win User

Hi, did a in place re- install, all working fine, but feel like I cheated as I still don`t know reason for error. Thanks all the same though for your help.*Smile

Technewby, Feb 12, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Good.

Well, I can understand, but we are not the designers of the OS nor do we have the tools, information or time to do the necessary investigation. The interaction of the OS, hardware and 3rd party programs is extremely complex. It just takes one small thing to be wrong, and we don't always have exact fixes.

Now your system is working, do start to use disk imaging routinely.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your disks and partitions to a previous working state, quickly and probably without technical help.

You can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.
    Can be used with Laplink software to transfer your build automatically to another PC

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

You need a backup medium - say- twice as large as the total amount of data you are imaging to keep a reasonable number of differential images. This will vary dependent on the number of images you keep, so is only a rough practical guide.

Some comment that system restore isn't always reliable; if it works and solves the problem, great. But sometimes restores won't work or fail. And of course a restore point only covers a limited number of aspects of the system. That’s where disk imaging comes in.

dalchina, Feb 12, 2017
  10. Technewby Win User
    Hi, thanks for comments, definitely will start using disc images, have purchased portable drive for this .

Technewby, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. critical error start menu - Similar Threads - critical error start

2. critical error start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    critical error start menu: Hi, Please help in the moring i turn on my pc and i tried clicking on the start button but it showed a massge saying "critical error" i have tried every posible sulotion i can find my window is 10 pro PLEASE HELP...
  3. critical error start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    critical error start menu: Hi, Please help in the moring i turn on my pc and i tried clicking on the start button but it showed a massge saying "critical error" i have tried every posible sulotion i can find my window is 10 pro PLEASE HELP...
  4. Start menu Critical Error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu Critical Error: I’ve recently gotten my 500gb 860 evo ssd and installed windows on but ever since I got it I’ve been getting this Message “Your start menu isn’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in” it’s been like this for a day or so, any solution to fix this would be...
  5. Start menu critical error

Start menu critical error: Hello people, for about 2 days now I have been trying to fix this issue to no avail.. every time I try to interact with the start menu I get a critical error saying "Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. I have tried booting in and out...
  6. Critical Error - Start Menu

Critical Error - Start Menu: Hi, I've encountered a critical error "Your Start menu isn't working..." How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-error-start-menu/96f57669-ca31-4b24-bb04-23afa30c285c
  7. Start menu critical error

Start menu critical error: Hello I have a problem with my start menu on one of the accounts on my pc. Tried the powershell commands, tried reinstaling third party antivirus also chkdsk and many more stuff. I need that account and I dont want to create a new one so please give me a fix that works...
  8. Critical error start menu

Critical error start menu: Start menu not working, cannot access settings or edge, after running update 2004 2020 I only get a black screen with shortcuts but none work & every fix I've tried from what I am able to do has failed. Can't even run repair disc or get recovery to use an earlier date, I need...
  9. Start Menu Critical Error

Start Menu Critical Error: Hello all, In the last 24 hours, my brother's Windows 10 PC has been returning a critical error message (the start menu and cortana aren't working) and asking the user account to log out. We've been through a number of methods found on forums to try to fix this, including:...
  10. start menu - critical error

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu - critical error: When I got home from work today I turned on my computer. When I click on the start button I get a pop up now: CRITICAL ERROR Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it for you the next time you log on. The only option is a button that says sign out now. I hit it...