Windows 10: Critical Process died and disk repair loop

Discus and support Critical Process died and disk repair loop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, I've been having problems recently with my laptop (Samsung 7 series) freezing. I then get a pop up saying "windows has stopped working",... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by hc93, Jan 20, 2016.

1. hc93 Win User

Critical Process died and disk repair loop

Hi all,

I've been having problems recently with my laptop (Samsung 7 series) freezing. I then get a pop up saying "windows has stopped working", and it either unfreeze after a few minutes or I need to force close it.

This happened again yesterday, and wouldn't unfreeze so I force turned it off. Upon restarting, I got a BSOD with the message "critical_process_died", and the laptop restarted itself, only to BSOD again. Now when I turn it on it goes straight into disk repair for C:, saying it is scanning for and repairing errors. However, even after running overnight it never progressed beyond 9% on this, and now I cannot exit the loop without force closing the laptop - but when I reboot it goes straight back into disk checking.

Obviously I have no clue what has caused this. A recent AVG scan was clean, and I cannot recall an update that happened yesterday. Unfortunately. Unfortunately I cannot load up the laptop to even check anything. Hopefully this is a software issue and I can get it fixed at a tech store, but I'm worried it could be a hardware problem (Internet suggested there was some memory corruption?). Any help would be very much appreciated, I'm a bit panicked about it as I rely on my laptop for all my work!

Thanks in advance...

:)

2. Blue Screen of Death

I received an error that a critical process died and my computer is stuck in a reset loop. I can't troubleshoot and the computer fails to repair itself. Any help?

Chris.Nash, Jan 20, 2016
  3. No password prompt at login screen. Can not login.

...and now it seems to have gotten itself into some kind of diagnostic loop. Each time, it stops with a "critical process died."

I assume this is 'terminal' from a repair perspective!

David(CIT), Jan 20, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

5. hc93 Win User
    Critical Process died and disk repair loop [​IMG]
    Run SeaTools DOS to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums

Critical Process died and disk repair loop [​IMG]
    Note Do not run SeaTools on an SSD as the results will be invalid. I can't run anything on the laptop as it never boots up beyond the disk error stage, so there's no scope for me to install or run any programs.

6. axe0 New Member
    Please note that you don't have to boot your system to Windows for the DOS version.
    If you can use any system for a few minutes, you can setup a bootable USB or CD with SeaTools DOS and boot from it on your laptop.

7. hc93 Win User
    I'll give that a try tonight then, but I don't hold out much hope!

Took it to tech support at PC World today for a quick eyeball diagnostic, and the guy said it sounds like hard drive failure and quoted about £120 for a repair and replacement, plus £80 on top to retrieve the lost data from my old disk. I wonder if that is the only problem whether it is a fix I can do myself, though I was warned that I'd probably have to pay for a new copy of windows 10 because apparently the product code for my current copy is linked to the hard drive (I upgraded from Win 8), and unless I could retrieve that code I'd have to buy it anew. Does that sound like a rip off?!

8. axe0 New Member

The replacement and recovering the data you can do yourself, you might need to have a docking station for recovering data like picture below.
    The users from the Windows 10 Help Forums can help you with recovering your data *Smile
    I don't know about warranty, but you need to check it if there is any before replacing the hard drive.

I believe the activation is in your BIOS implemented by your manufacturer which will be used as soon as an installation is booted for the first time.
    This means that you need to replace the motherboard before you need a new license.

Docking station:
    Attachment 60041

9. hc93 Win User
    Thanks for you help so far, very grateful to have someone talk me through things *Smile

I think what I'll probably just do is get it professionally fixed and the hard drive replaced, because I don't trust myself to be able to do that, and will then try with the help of the forum to retrieve my old data myself to save myself some money. Note to future self - become more computer savvy!

10. axe0 New Member
    Replacing the hard drive isn't difficult, simply remove the battery, press the power button to remove any ESD*, open the laptop, unplug the hard drive, plug the new hard drive, close the laptop and insert the battery.

I would advice to try it yourself with guidance, not much to go wrong if you follow exactly the instructions and learn a little about preventing damage with *Electro Static Discharge.

Thema:

1. Critical Process died and disk repair loop - Similar Threads - Critical Process died

2. critical process died loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    critical process died loop: i keep getting this BOSD loop and i have tried all the fixes that have been suggested for this problem. I can’t access safe mode or anything.i have noticed that my GPU light turns off then on 30 seconds later. Would this be causing the blue screen?...
  3. Critical process died. Boot loop automatic repair.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Critical process died. Boot loop automatic repair.: I've tried most options.Chkdsk did nothing, sfc did nothing, rewriting or trying to reset my pc did nothing. Cannot enter safe mode or do anything of advanced options such as startup repair, startup settings, uninstall updates or system restore, even tried with image which...
  4. Critical process died. Boot loop automatic repair.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Critical process died. Boot loop automatic repair.: I've tried most options.Chkdsk did nothing, sfc did nothing, rewriting or trying to reset my pc did nothing. Cannot enter safe mode or do anything of advanced options such as startup repair, startup settings, uninstall updates or system restore, even tried with image which...
  5. CRITICAL PROCESS DIED loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CRITICAL PROCESS DIED loop: im posting this on my phone I have tried various solutions, such as reset, sfc, chkdsk, system restore, bootreg, and others but to no avail. Please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-process-died-loop/c2832777-dbd7-4c55-8613-e83cc94de903
  6. CRITICAL PROCESS DIED loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CRITICAL PROCESS DIED loop: im posting this on my phone I have tried various solutions, such as reset, sfc, chkdsk, system restore, bootreg, and others but to no avail. Please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-process-died-loop/c2832777-dbd7-4c55-8613-e83cc94de903
  7. CRITICAL PROCESS DIED loop

8. Critical Process died loop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Critical Process died loop: Hi! I have been experiencing Critical Process Died BSOD loop. I tried going in recovery troubleshoot. I tried system restore but the status says that "You must enable system protection on this drive." I tried fixing this issue with cmd i tried net start vss and...
  9. critical process died, repair loop, can't boot into windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    critical process died, repair loop, can't boot into windows: hi all, thank you for your time reading this. i have a laptop that when i turn it on, it will go into the diagnosing your pc stage, repairing, and couldn't repair your pc. i have the options to shut it down or advanced options etc. I can't continue to windows normally or boot...
  10. Critical Process Died (Attempting to Repair and Diagnostic Loop)

Critical Process Died (Attempting to Repair and Diagnostic Loop): Recently I went to turn on my PC and when booting it gave me a BSOD saying that the problem was "Critical Process Died" on startup. Naturally i went online to try and find some solutions, and stumbled across a few but none of them have worked so far. What I have tried so...