Windows 10: Critical Service Failed - Automatic Repair and Advanced Options

Discus and support Critical Service Failed - Automatic Repair and Advanced Options in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. My first post so bear with me please. Running Windows 10 for about 6 months, on Acer Aspire 5742 (500 GB with i5 processor, 4 GB DDR3) laptop with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Uni, Feb 17, 2017.

1. UNI
    Uni Win User

Critical Service Failed - Automatic Repair and Advanced Options

Hi. My first post so bear with me please. Running Windows 10 for about 6 months, on Acer Aspire 5742 (500 GB with i5 processor, 4 GB DDR3) laptop with no major problems. While using DiskCleanup to remove about 10GB of files in Recycle Bin, Temporary files etc, I noticed that the DiskCleanup was taking longer than expected. (I have just completed a large 2-year project, so was clearing out old copies of large files etc.).
    While DiskCleanup was removing Temporary files, the laptop crashed. It said something about "Collecting data and will restart - 100%" and went onto "Preparing Automatic Repair". Eventually came to the "Choose an Option" screen, then "Advanced Options" so I tried "System Restore" (but had selected "delete all Restore points except the latest one" during DiskCleanup options) which did not work - message stated: "An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070091)".
    Likewise using Startup Repair "...couldn't repair your PC...".I have a copy of the SrtTrail.txt file, via DOS commands (attached, hopefully).
    Tried starting in Safe Mode, from Startup Settings screen, but no use.

One last thing, although it may not be relevant: before using DiskCleanup yesterday, I attempted to install MySQL, which required me to install a specific version of Python and Visual Studio. I think I have both of the latter installed okay, but I don't think MySQL installed completely.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

2. theking2 Win User

critical service failed

After coming back from holiday's my win 10 refuses to started normally. It goes to a critical service failed blue screen, twice,than attempts a automatic repair, failed to repair and shutsdown.

What is automatic repair and why doesn't it work?

theking2, Feb 17, 2017
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    critical service failed

Hello,

If your Operating System has a corrupted or missing System File, Windows will run an automatic repair. If the corrupted System File is critical, the automatic repair will not work.

To resolve the critical service failed error, please check
    Babu V
    's post in this thread.

Let us know the result.

Riel Alc, Feb 17, 2017
  4. Critical Service Failed - Automatic Repair and Advanced Options

Hi Uni

I would boot to Command Prompt and I would run chkdsk /r on your c:drive. Now with that said in that text file you submitted it says windows is on d:\

Did you have any custom install on device? It may just be a symptom of issue. Did to check your boot disk.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 17, 2017
  5. UNI
    Uni Win User
    "I would boot to Command Prompt and I would run chkdsk /r on your c:drive. Now with that said in that text file you submitted it says windows is on d:\
    Did you have any custom install on device? It may just be a symptom of issue. Did to check your boot disk."

Hi. Thanks for reply. I have just run chkdsk /r from the D:\> drive but "... the volume is in use by another process....".
    I did not have a custom install (presume you mean for Windows 10) - I usually go for the defaults, not being that pc savvy.

I am close to trying the Repair disk (I assume you have read my post at Can Anyone check this Win10 Recovery Drive? Solved - Windows 10 Forums) but I am first copying some crucial files with xcopy cmd. Would it be a okay to try the Repair disk now?

Seems such a drastic thing to happen, just by removing temporary files etc.!

6. If the drive is in use I believe you need to get boot media and retry the chkdsk /r.

Caledon Ken, Feb 18, 2017
  7. UNI
    Uni Win User
    Update:
    Tried the Repair disk. Still back to "Your pc ran into a problem", "Preparing automatic repair" followed by Advanced Options which have been tried again.

Would anyone recommend:
    • bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    • bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    • bootrec.exe /fixboot

Otherwise, I have a bootable Win PE file waiting to be burned on to USB key, as suggested by other Forum user, but unsure what to do with it when (or if) it boots up the laptop.

8. UNI
    Uni Win User

Success at last. Windows 10 is up and running again.
    The fix was one of two (or both) things: I removed my Logitech mouse dongle from the USB drive (which had caused problems when Win 10 first installed). I re-started the pc but it still would not function, and I was left with the Advanced Options blue screen again. On the Start-up Settings I selected 7. Disable driver signature enforcement

The pc proceeded to boot up, as normal (or a bit slower) with everything in tact.

Going to nstall Visual Studio, MySQL and associated files (tons of them) since the fan is whirring too fast for my liking. Thanks for the attempts to help.
    Geoff.

9. Glad you got it back. Did you recently update drivers or did Windows. You can look in Windows Update history.

Thanks for posting your solution.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 19, 2017
  10. UNI
    Uni Win User
    Windows Update shows that Windows 10 Version 1607 (KB3213986) failed to install, three times on Friday 17th Feb (the same day as my laptop crashed) but I suspect my attempt to download the MySQL suite of programs (which may have only partially downloaded, again on the 17th Feb) may be the root cause.
    I have requested guidance on removal of all SQL-associated files (I have older versions installed, since 2010) from MySQL Forum.

For now, my laptop is over-heating again (if left on too long), and has error message 0x800B0100, so will still require assistance.

11. If you need help on that KB post back. I installed it manually. Its a 1 GB download. You may also want to run update trouble shooter to clear the way.

12. UNI
    Uni Win User
    Okay, thanks Ken. I'm reluctant to do anything that will take too long, on laptop, until over-heating issue resolved.

13. Critical Service Failed - Automatic Repair and Advanced Options

Then to stop this cycle may be you want to set your wireless connection to Metered to stop updates. After that I would run trouble shooter on updates. My goal being to stop the repetitive trying of the failed update while you deal with heat.

14. UNI
    Uni Win User
    Good idea (if only I had thought of it).
    I managed to nstall MySQL Visual Studio via GitHub Total nstall tool. Previously, nstalling from within Visual Studio caused overheating and shut-down the pc again. Again, Windows 10 would not re-start, but removing mouse-dongle and selecting Option 7 from Start Up settings (Advanced Options) allowed Windows 10 to start. My laptop returned to normal (heat and noise-wise) following the un-installation.

A suggestion from the MySQL forum, was that I may have had too little RAM available: I have 4GB RAM but 57% was in use "..by indivdual processes.." - I have 104 processes running, and have little idea how to thin these down.

Have just installed the rogue KB, directly from Windows Update which took around 10 minutes.

15. For the 104 process the first place to look is the Start Up tab in Task Manager. Approach cautiously but some things you will just know you don't need, like something starting a weather app or an old messaging service. Then look in the systray, are there any programs in that list that have seen better days and finally Control Panel and Programs. Everything gets installed but nothing exits.

You can also download free, Autoruns, part of Sysinternals. This gives you real insight but also allows you to shut off something you actually need.

Ken

Thema:

1. Critical Service Failed - Automatic Repair and Advanced Options - Similar Threads - Critical Service Failed

2. CRITICAL _ SERVICE _ FAILED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CRITICAL _ SERVICE _ FAILED: The device cannot enter Windows 11 and gives me a blue screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-service-failed/7d77f0cf-0cd9-48bf-a725-2681e3d2a3b4
  3. CRITICAL _ SERVICE _ FAILED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CRITICAL _ SERVICE _ FAILED: The device cannot enter Windows 11 and gives me a blue screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-service-failed/7d77f0cf-0cd9-48bf-a725-2681e3d2a3b4
  4. CRITICAL SERVICE FAILED

CRITICAL SERVICE FAILED: Hi, i am an italian programmer excuse me for my poor english and i have a big problem with my laptop.Since many days i was trying to install the latest Win11 cumulative update but it stopped reaching 33% of the process and restarted continuously.I have investigated the...
  5. Windows 11 BSODs Automatic Repair and advanced troubleshooting options failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 BSODs Automatic Repair and advanced troubleshooting options failed: I have had no issues with my PC for the 2 months I owned it so far until yesterday when I froze in a game and crashed with Stop Code: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. After it automatically restarted I got a BSOD with Stop Code: REGISTRY ERROR. This BSOD restarted a couple times before...
  6. Windows 11 BSODs Automatic Repair and advanced troubleshooting options failed

Windows 11 BSODs Automatic Repair and advanced troubleshooting options failed: I have had no issues with my PC for the 2 months I owned it so far until yesterday when I froze in a game and crashed with Stop Code: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. After it automatically restarted I got a BSOD with Stop Code: REGISTRY ERROR. This BSOD restarted a couple times before...
  7. Critical service failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Critical service failed: Suddenly it is showing BSOD critical service failed in windows 11 Anybody can you give me a solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-service-failed/55fcbb60-b804-4819-9756-b85ef76010f4
  8. Critical service failed

Critical service failed: Suddenly it is showing BSOD critical service failed in windows 11 Anybody can you give me a solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-service-failed/55fcbb60-b804-4819-9756-b85ef76010f4
  9. Critical Service Failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical Service Failed: Hello, Today i changed in system configuration/ms settings number of processors from 1 to 8, windows said it want me to restart pc so i clicked restart. Right after that It said something like starting pc failed and they are collecting information. It started restart...
  10. critical service failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    critical service failed: -i had updated my windows 10, and then all of a sudden i am in an infinite loop -i notice all the other videos online allowed the user, after a few restarts, a list of options such as reseting your pc or go into command prompt -my computer does not give me the option, and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. critical service repair no automaic repair

2. Dell critical service failed error code 0xc0000225 inspiron 15