Windows 10: "Critical Stop" sound sometimes on Shut down or Restart

Discus and support "Critical Stop" sound sometimes on Shut down or Restart in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi ALL, Sometimes when I power down or restart I get a sound that is usually used when there is a problem. I looked up the sound and its the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gerryex, Aug 15, 2015.

1. gerryex Win User

"Critical Stop" sound sometimes on Shut down or Restart

Hi ALL,

Sometimes when I power down or restart I get a sound that is usually used when there is a problem. I looked up the sound and its the standard "Critical Stop" sound. This only happens sometimes but even if it does occur the system still either shuts down or restarts properly.

Anyone else see this?

Thanks,
    Gerry

:)

gerryex, Aug 15, 2015
  2. onetonsr Win User

Critical structure corruption shut down

Computer shuts down then screen comes up say "critical structure corruption" (tpcic.sys) then restarts. Happens with no warning and intermittently.

onetonsr, Aug 15, 2015
  3. Critical stop beep when shutting down windows 10 Pro

Hi

I am running windows 10 pro upgraded from windows 7 ultimate.

Every time i shut down the PC I am getting the Critical Stop
    sound in the process. I went through windows sounds to double check.

It sounds like there might be a process or application running in the background on shutdown and this happens every time.

I have been down the Troubleshooting route in Control panel and the error still persists. Windows is up to date also.

After googling, others have the same issue but there is no solution I can see.

windows ten forum

robert_1066, Aug 15, 2015
  4. "Critical Stop" sound sometimes on Shut down or Restart

hTconeM9user, Aug 15, 2015
  5. gerryex Win User
    Hi hTconeM9use,

Thanks for the info but that link is referring to errors with the WAV file itself, such as that file not being found or registered properly. In my case I'm not getting any of those errors. Rather sometimes when I shutdown or restart I hear that sound and when the sound is played it usually indicates some other kind of problem. I just looked up the sound to get its name to try to help identify why the sound is playing. But again, even though the sound may be played the system shuts down or restarts properly. So I was just wondering why I was getting that sound sometimes and if anyone else was also getting that sound when shutting down or restarting.

Gerry

gerryex, Aug 16, 2015
  6. rwbates53 Win User
    Hello Gerry
    I have the same problem and am trying to find a fix. I think maybe that something must be running in the back ground that may cause this Critical Stop sound when shutting down or rebooting. Like you said it only happens sometimes. I hope that this is on a bug fix list of Microsoft.

Rick

rwbates53, Aug 24, 2015
  7. gerryex Win User
    Hi Rick,

Its interesting that there usually is someone else that has the same problem as the first person to post about it. While I don't want other people to have problems its nice to know that I'm not the only one having this problem.

That being said I don't think its because of a program running in the background as I also sometimes get the separate full page information screen stating that Win 10 can't shut down because some program has not closed and with an option to force the closing. I usually just let it sit there and in a few seconds those programs close down and Win 10 shuts down.

So I still have no idea why it makes that sound and only sometimes. By the way it does it (again only sometimes) for either shutting down or restarting.

Gerry

gerryex, Aug 25, 2015
  8. rwbates53 Win User

Gerry I'm sure there are other people having the same problem. I hope Microsoft will get it sorted out with one of the many updates that are coming. Keep me posted if you get it figure out Gerry.

Rick

rwbates53, Aug 25, 2015
  9. Hi to the both of you. I was just searching the internet because I have the same problem as you guys do and Gerry perfectly describes the problem that I'm currently having with my laptop that has been updated to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and I must admit that yes, nobody here likes to have problems with their own desktop devices but I am quite relieved to know that I am not the only one that has the problem as well. I also get the sound not at all times but most of the time during restart or shut down. And just like you, I also experience that full page that says Win 10 cannot shut down because some program hasn't closed with the option to force closing the programs. Hopefully, Microsoft knows about this problem so that they can work this one out on how to fix it. Regards and hoping that this problem on our devices will get fixed as soon as possible. *Smile

pixelatedface99, Sep 12, 2015
  10. Yep I have this problem too.. :/

ervinnierras, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. "Critical Stop" sound sometimes on Shut down or Restart - Similar Threads - Critical Stop sound

2. Shut down or restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut down or restart: Occasionally when I try to shut down or restart after an update I get this message. I tried going to Task Manager and ending process. Doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen all the time. How can I stop it, kinda annoying.Please Adviseleahcimj...
  3. Shut down or restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shut down or restart: Occasionally when I try to shut down or restart after an update I get this message. I tried going to Task Manager and ending process. Doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen all the time. How can I stop it, kinda annoying.Please Adviseleahcimj...
  4. Since when did Shut down and Restart stop actually shutting down or restarting the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Since when did Shut down and Restart stop actually shutting down or restarting the...: Road to hell is paved with good intentions? How thought this was a good idea? If I shut down and reboot, I shouldn't be able to see all the damn applications I had open when I launch it back up. That's not shut down. Sometimes when I boot, something gets borked and I can't...
  5. Restart + Shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  6. Restart + Shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  7. Computer PC sometimes restarts when trying to shut down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer PC sometimes restarts when trying to shut down: Hi, I noticed that my pc sometimes restarts itself when I try to shut it down. I found the error in the reliability history under WINDOWS WAS NOT PROPERLY SHUT DOWN.Then, looking at the Event Viewer, I narrowed it down to Event 41, Kernel-Power... The system has rebooted...
  8. sound stop sometimes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sound stop sometimes: i listen to sound via my Asus monitor speakers (see my system specs). All works good, except when I pause the movie or skip to the next episode (on Netflix) the speaker is mute. that little green bar (see the screenshot) still will go up and down per the volume. so it looks...
  9. Windows "Critical Stop/Error" sound plays when shutting down.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows "Critical Stop/Error" sound plays when shutting down.: Hello all. After numerous updates, I have been getting a critical stop sound on shutdown, however I have noticed the screen flashes white for a second, also tonight it made the sound twice and a small box appeared in the middle of the screen, but I couldn't read it in...
  10. Does anyone else hear a "critical stop" error sound upon shutting down

in Windows 10 Support
    Does anyone else hear a "critical stop" error sound upon shutting down: For the record, I don't have "Fast Startup" enabled in the Control Panel. I hear the "critical stop" error sound almost every time I shut down my computer. After I click "shutdown" in the start menu, I see the words "Shutting down" followed by the error sound. Very...