Windows 10: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and cant read boot device on startup

Discus and support CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and cant read boot device on startup in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I am having BSOD's again. I am getting the above error on the blue screen. It's worse now though because it never makes it past the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by cowlicker12, May 6, 2016.

1. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and cant read boot device on startup

Hello,

I am having BSOD's again. I am getting the above error on the blue screen. It's worse now though because it never makes it past the "collecting data" it just freezes at 0%.

After I shut it down and restart it manually, it gives me a black screen with white letters only and says that it couldn't read boot device. I need to turn it off and on multiple times before it recognizes the hard drive. I think one time it worked when I unplugged everything (mouse, external cooling fan, phone, power cord).

:)

cowlicker12, May 6, 2016

2. Blue Screen happening often

Thank you for letting me know! I am not very sure yet as I cant read it fast enough, and whenever it happens, I am usually away from my home. I can tell that it restarted because its giving me a "Select proper boot device, insert boot device and restart"
    Something along those lines. Thanks for the info however, I will try out the quick startup thing. Maybe that will work? I don't know, but lets hope so!

Nicholas Larson, May 6, 2016
  3. How to Enable System Protection from Command Prompt in Windows 10

Hi - my PC (Windows 10, 64 bit) is stuck in a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED startup loop and I'm trying to use a system restore point. However, I wasn't aware that system protection is disabled on all drives by default, so I'm unable to do so. I'm unable to boot
    to turn on system protection for this drive. Also, I'm unable to boot into safe mode (but I've read you cannot enable system protection on a drive from safe mode anyway). Is it possible to enable system protection using the command prompt in Windows 10? I've
    already tried "net start vss" and that hasn't worked.

Thanks in advance for any help.

wilsonej30, May 6, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and cant read boot device on startup

Given your description + the fact that no event has been saved about the BSODs I have 2 suspects.

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and cant read boot device on startup [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    HDD TEST

Run SeaTools to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Run following tests
    • Short Drive Self Test
    • Short generic
    • Long generic
    If the short generic fails, no need for the long generic.

Note Do not run SeaTools on an SSD as the results will be invalid.
    Post screenshots/photos of the test results

Run chkdsk
    Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums

Run HDTune to
    • scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    • check the health,
    • benchmark.
    It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    Let me know what the results are
    • of the error scan,
    • make a screenshot of the health of every hard drive and post the screenshots,
    • post screenshots with the benchmark of the
      • transfer rate,
      • access time,
      • burst rate,
      • cpu usage.
    Best is to make screenshots/photos of these test results too.

Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

Make a photo of the result and post it please.

Addition:
    If errors show up you can stop the test, remove all sticks but 1 and test this single stick in each slot for 8 passes or until errors show, switch sticks and repeat.
    If errors show up and you see them a lot later, no problem, the errors don't affect the test.

axe0, May 6, 2016
  5. There might be one problem with the RAM test. I can run it, but I'm not so sure about opening up my laptop and removing individual sticks if RAM. Is that possible on an Alienware gaming laptop?

cowlicker12, May 6, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Everything is possible *Smile , but sometimes it just takes some time and can be difficult.

1 thing is that it may void warranty if you have any, if you do then you should let a tech from Dell replace the memory if errors show up in the test. In most cases it is bad memory when errors show up.

axe0, May 6, 2016
  7. So far it has done 1 full pass and is 81% into the 2nd pass....after 8 hours overnight....I wasnt expecting it to be a 3 day process.....but no errors so far. It says ''Pass complete, no errors, press ESC to exit''. Do I really need to do this 8 more times????

Also, I may have messed up running this test first. Was this supposed to be the ''if all else fails, run this'' test?

cowlicker12, May 7, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

Memory problems are a very common cause, because everything uses the memory management, hence the reason why there are so many suggestions for testing the memory.
    It isn't an 'if all else fails, run this' test.

In order to test the memory properly, you have to run at least 8 straight completed passes.

axe0, May 7, 2016
  9. On pass#8, 4 hours to go!!!

I'll be able to use my laptop afterwards, right? I ask because it will have been 64 hours since the test began.... no errors yet btw.

Another question: it will tell me about cumulative errors right? That is, if on pass #1 there was an error but I wasn't watching, it will still display the error on pass#2,3,4,5,6,7, and 8 right??? I really hope so....because I wasn't checking if there was an error after every single pass...

cowlicker12, May 9, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    You can of course use your laptop when it is done *Smile

If any error shows up it would be like this.

Image is from the MemTest86+ tutorial.

This is why it isn't a problem when you run the test overnight, you can sleep and see if any error showed up when you wake up.

11. 67 hours later....no errors...

*pant* *pant*

cowlicker12, May 10, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    When the test is done, please don't forget this:
    It is just to let me know that the test is done correctly and I won't forget it *Smile

13. axe0 New Member

You didn't yet ran the HDD diagnostics right?

14. Not yet, I just finished this last night. I will today after I get home from work.

cowlicker12, May 10, 2016
  15. No errors from chkdsk, running seatools now.

cowlicker12, May 14, 2016
Thema:

1. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and cant read boot device on startup - Similar Threads - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED cant read

2. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED doesn't let PC boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED doesn't let PC boot: Hi, So I was playing Sea of Thieves and was on Discord when my Asus GL753V, Windows 10 x64, froze. I force shutdown it and when turned it on again I had the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED blue screen saying that it would restart automatically but it didn't I think it goes off...
  3. BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode: TL:DR: Can't boot (even into safe mode) after removing device 'Intel HD Graphics 4000' (and uninstalling its drivers). Getting critical_process_died BSOD. My specs: Mobo ASRock Z77 Pro4, CPU i5 3570k I had my integrated GPU (Intel HD Graphics 4000) disabled because it gave...
  4. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Windows 10 Startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Windows 10 Startup: Recently I haven’t been able to get onto my PC at all. I first started getting this error message on startup: DRIVER_IQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL But now I am getting this error message: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED I cannot boot in safe mode either as I get the same error...
  5. WIN10 Startup CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ntoskrnl.exe

WIN10 Startup CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ntoskrnl.exe: Couple of days ago my laptop's OS stopped to loading. There is blue screen noticing CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. I didn't installed any soft or hardware for months - all systems worked well. Safe mode stills works. I've tried to restore system by DISM and sfc /scannow - that...
  6. Windows Boot-up error: “CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED”

Windows Boot-up error: “CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED”: When I boot up my Surface Book 2, there is a dead loop of blue screen error saying “CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED”. I tried to perform a restore from old windows restore points but it says “Drive is not secured” and I was unable to restore. Even safe mode won’t work. I only have...
  7. BSOD Critical_process_died at startup

BSOD Critical_process_died at startup: For several months now (update 1803?), I've experienced BSODs on a steady basis on my Alienware 17R3 running Windows10. At least 1 a day and up to 5 or 6, mostly during the first minutes after a restart or wake-up. Often even before I sign in. BSOD are of the...
  8. BSOD crash with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED cant boot or run sfc /scannow

BSOD crash with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED cant boot or run sfc /scannow: not sure I can run dm log collector from recovery console? My desktop PC with 32-bit Windows 10 has crashed at version 10.0.17134.0. It worked fine for a few days after the upgrade to version 10.0.17134.0, and I was not using the PC at the time of the crash. It now starts up...
  9. Critical_process_died at startup

Critical_process_died at startup: Several times since Windows 10 has been updated (see attached file) I have received a "Critical_process_died" notification. Sometimes at startup & at least one time during normal browsing. Have talked with a local computer shop about various problems & he suggested a clean...
  10. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on boot

in Windows 10 Support
    CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED on boot: Hi. My mom's laptop is crashing on boot with a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error. It boots in Safe Mode but most things are unresponsive: no windows menu, command prompt opens right away but admin prompt takes 10-20 minutes to open, so do task manager window, driver install...