Windows 10: Cross language upgrades are not supported - then what to do?

Discus and support Cross language upgrades are not supported - then what to do? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings. I have been told, that "our" free version of Windows 10 don't support change of language by Andre Da Costa. See this link for info:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Burgurne, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Burgurne Win User

Cross language upgrades are not supported - then what to do?

Greetings.
    I have been told, that "our" free version of Windows 10 don't support change of language by Andre Da Costa. See this link for info:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-edd044a0418d

I then asked (but have not get an answer) what will happend to my installations when 29/7 arrives.
    My laptop runs a Danish Windows 7 SP1, so I'm sure it will turn out to be a Danish Windows 10. But my gamer-rig is running Windows 10 Preview, and this one is in English, as Danish can't be selected for the Preview. Will my gamer-rig then get an English Windows 10? I want a Danish Windows 10 if possible.
    Anybody here know if Microsoft or me can change the English language in Windows 10 to Danish once it is out, allthough Andre Da Costa write this "Cross language upgrades are not supported"

:)

Burgurne, Jul 4, 2015

2. Will we be able to choose language upon install of windows 10

Cross language upgrades are not supported, the free upgrade will be installed in your local language.

You will need install a language pack for English after setup if you are upgraded to Windows 10 Pro or if its Windows 10 Home you will need to install the Windows 10 Pro Pack ($99) then download the English Language Pack.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 4, 2015
  3. Does Windows 10 upgrade will allow me to update my Chinese windows into English?

Can I choose a different language during the upgrade?

Cross language upgrades are not supported, the free upgrade will be installed in your local language.

You will need install a language pack for English after setup is complete if you are upgraded to Windows 10 Pro or if its Windows 10 Home you will need to install the Windows 10 Pro Pack ($99) using Add Features (Windows key + X > Control Panel) then download
    the English Language Pack.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 4, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Will you be reverting your gaming rig back to Win7 or Win8.1 so as to get the free Win10? Looks to me like you will get the Danish version of Win10 then have to download and install the English Language Pack. What I've read with using different languages requires the Pro version of Windows.

Berton, Jul 4, 2015
  5. Burgurne Win User
    I'm not sure if I will revert back to Windows 8.1, but if I continue to use Windows 10 Preview (in English), will I then be able to get a Danish Windows 10? If I will get an English windows 10 because of the review, then I will go back to Windows 8.1 danish before 29th og July *Huh

I just don't know what is the right thing to do? *Redface

Burgurne, Jul 5, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    First, I am sure the Danish Windows 10 as well as Danish language pack will be released on July 29th or soon thereafter. The Insider Preview and its language packs have been released in limited selection of languages but the final version will be released at least in all those languages previous Windows versions have had.

Second, the in-place upgrade principle is quite clear:

Cross language upgrades are not supported - then what to do? [​IMG]
    Note Any version of Windows can only be in-place upgraded to the same language and bit version than the underlying Windows version is. The language version is determined by the language of the original install media; a French Windows 8.1 is still French even when it's display language has been converted to English using a language pack and all user accounts are using English display language, and can therefore only be in-place upgraded to a French Windows 10.

Examples:
    • A 32 bit Danish Windows 7 Home Premium can be in-place upgraded only to a Danish Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, Danish Windows 8.1 or Danish Windows 10
    • A 64 bit English Windows 10 Insider Preview installed before the July 29th, when the user opts in for build upgrades remaining an Insider, will be upgraded to a 64 bit English GA version of Windows 10 on July 29th or soon thereafter
    You have asked an interesting question. On the other hand, MS has promised that all clean installed Windows 10 Insider Previews remain activated and will be upgraded if the user remains as an Insider and does not opt out from the build upgrades. This means that both my Finnish, Swedish and English Insider previews will get activated after the July 29th and I can continue using WIndows 10 in all of these languages. But in you case, your language version of Insider Preview is not available and if you ask me, you should be allowed to get a Danish version when it will be released.

Interesting question, I will try to find out more as this interests me personally. What I could do now was to put the question to Gabriel Aul (Microsoft, General Manager OSG Data and Fundamentals team) in Twitter which for us is the only way to contact him directly, he's the man who should know. Sometimes he surprises and replies.

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date

Kari, Jul 5, 2015
  7. Burgurne Win User
    Thank you very much, Kari. I will for sure look forward to see what he will reply (if he does Cross language upgrades are not supported - then what to do? :). I really hope to find out more, and my guess is, that many others like me does the same. After all, Dansih is not the only language with this "problem".

Burgurne, Jul 5, 2015
  8. Burgurne Win User

I guess that there is no answer from Microsoft or from G. Aul? I have also tried to write on Microsoft's Windows 10 forum, but no answer there either. Guess us with "bad" languages are left in the cold. No Insider in our language, no Cortana in the finished Windows 10 (recording to Microsoft Denmark).
    But thankyou for trying, Kari Cross language upgrades are not supported - then what to do? :)

Burgurne, Jul 7, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    I am still trying to find an answer, even from Gabe Aul:

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date

Kari, Jul 7, 2015
  10. Burgurne Win User
    Cross my fingers for a positive answer Cross language upgrades are not supported - then what to do? :)

Burgurne, Jul 9, 2015
  11. Burgurne Win User
    Okay. I'm giving up for an answer and uninstalling the English Windows 10, and installing my Danish Windows 8.1. This way I can use the GWX app to get windows 10 in Danish. I don't know if that means I'm out of Insider? But at least I know I will get a Windows 10 in my own language.

Burgurne, Jul 12, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    You can get Windows 10 in whatever language you want. It's just the Upgrade that cannot be done cross-language.

So, in other words, you can be using the Windows 10 English version, and when Windows 10 is released, get the final version upgrade in English, then download the Danish Windows 10 ISO and do a clean install. Windows does not differentiate language versions per se (though they have traditionally used different keys for single language versions vs multiple language versions).

Mystere, Jul 12, 2015
  13. Burgurne Win User

Is that a fact or a guess?
    I still have not seen anywhere how we will be able to cleaninstall "as many times as we want, on the same device with the free Windows 10"

Burgurne, Jul 13, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    That's been stated by Gabe Aul many times. You have to first upgrade an existing Windows 7 or 8.x, then you can do clean installs after that.

Mystere, Jul 13, 2015
  15. Burgurne Win User
    Yes, that is correct, but nowhere has I read that an ISO will be available to download for that clean install. As I wrote in the last post, I has not seen HOW to "install on same device". Hence I ask you, if you know for a fact, that we WILL be able to download an ISO or it is just a guess (for now) that this is the way it is going to be.
    I have heard from Microsoft Denmark, that if I start with an English WIndows 10 (nonPro), it will NOT be an option to change language, but if they mean in running OS, or by cleaninstall a new OS, I don't know.
    AFAIK it has NOT been stated by Gabe Aul, that we can get another ISO to clean-install from, or a clean install means the same as "reset" or "refresh" windows 10 as we can now (and if that is the case, then there will be no shift in language.

I know this is a problem you English-talking people don't have, and don't find interesting, but for us non-English WIndows-users it is a vital point.

Burgurne, Jul 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Cross language upgrades are not supported - then what to do? - Similar Threads - Cross language upgrades

2. Console supporting languages

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Console supporting languages: Hi All,I wanted to display kannada language/font in windows message/alert box.test.bat:=>constent:msg ನಮಸ್ತೆ!pauseDoes console supports kannada font?your support highly appreciated....
  3. Console supporting languages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Console supporting languages: Hi All,I wanted to display kannada language/font in windows message/alert box.test.bat:=>constent:msg ನಮಸ್ತೆ!pauseDoes console supports kannada font?your support highly appreciated....
  4. Console supporting languages

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. What do the Language Bar options mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do the Language Bar options mean?: Hi everyone,I'm having issues understanding what the different options in the language bar means. When I turn them on/off I can't notice any difference....
  6. What is the difference between Cross-language Windows 7 and Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the difference between Cross-language Windows 7 and Windows 7?: Hello everyone,Well, I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 1.0 to Windows 10, but when I got to Windows 7 and tried to upgrade to Windows 8 I am only given the option to keep personal files only or nothing. I tried to search online and they say that while Windows 7 can keep apps...
  7. What is the difference between Cross-language Windows 7 and Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the difference between Cross-language Windows 7 and Windows 7?: Hello everyone,Well, I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 1.0 to Windows 10, but when I got to Windows 7 and tried to upgrade to Windows 8 I am only given the option to keep personal files only or nothing. I tried to search online and they say that while Windows 7 can keep apps...
  8. Font is not supported, what to do?

in Windows 10 Support
    Font is not supported, what to do?: [img] [img] How can I find the font type used in this file, so I can install the particular font. Please help! 133935
  9. why do not support Kurdish (kurmanji) language?

in Windows 10 Customization
    why do not support Kurdish (kurmanji) language?: Why don't you provide language support for 30 million speaking Kurds? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-not-support-kurdish-kurmanji-language/b4dc7622-0f1b-4b30-ba3c-7cf6a304fb8a
  10. Upgrade To Windows 10 Crossed language

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade To Windows 10 Crossed language: Hi, Is there a way to Upgrade from Windows 8.1 (Spanish) to Windows 10 (English) Keeping Programs, Apps And Files? Is there any registry entry o file to change to english and bypass language check to keep program configurations in the upgrade? 2974