Windows 10: cryptsvc is always turned on automatically whenever catroot2 folder is touched (deletion or...

Discus and support cryptsvc is always turned on automatically whenever catroot2 folder is touched (deletion or... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello MS experts, I hit a very strange problem when I tried to rename catroot2 folder (because windows update 1803 hits the problem time to time,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TanJohn1, Jul 6, 2018.

1. TanJohn1 Win User

cryptsvc is always turned on automatically whenever catroot2 folder is touched (deletion or...

Hello MS experts,

I hit a very strange problem when I tried to rename catroot2 folder (because windows update 1803 hits the problem time to time, cannot be installed).

as people suggested, i first turned off cryptsvc and window update service via command line or via services GUI interface. then i tried to rename catroot2 folder, it showed error message that other application still opened it, I was wondering who still occupied it. therefore, i checked cryptsvc again, it was turned on by himself automatically (status turned "Running"). I even tried to disable it completely, it still behaves like that, turned on automatically as long as I touched catroot2 folder (if i don't touch catroot2 folder, cryptsvc kept being turned off). I repeated stop and rename procedure many times without any luck.

any idea what happened and how to fix it?

many thanks

best regards

John

:)

TanJohn1, Jul 6, 2018

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused cryptsvc is always turned on automatically whenever catroot2 folder is touched (deletion or... :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well cryptsvc is always turned on automatically whenever catroot2 folder is touched (deletion or... :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Jul 6, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    • Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    • Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    • Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    • Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Jul 6, 2018
  4. WG_1964 Win User

cryptsvc is always turned on automatically whenever catroot2 folder is touched (deletion or...

Windows update error message, no error code.

Hey,

Sorry to know that, this time will try renaming the catroot2 and software distribution folder.

To do this, follow these steps:

• Open an administrative Command Prompt window.
    • Type the following commands, and press Enter after each command:
      • net stop cryptsvc
      • md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old
      • xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s
    • Delete all contents of the catroot2 folder, but do not delete the catroot2 folder.
    • Type the following command, and then press Enter:
      net start cryptsvc
    • Exit the Command Prompt window.
    Open RUN and typeservices.msc

Click OK to open the Service Applet.

Locate the Automatic Updates Service, right click, Properties, Stop and wait for the service to stop.

Navigate to the c:\windows folder and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder

Rename to c:\windows\SoftwareDistibution.old

The from the Services applet, you can restart the Automatic Updates Service
    manually or just reboot the system and it will start itself.

Now try installing the updates.

WG_1964, Jul 6, 2018
Thema:

1. cryptsvc is always turned on automatically whenever catroot2 folder is touched (deletion or... - Similar Threads - cryptsvc always turned

2. cryptSvc Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cryptSvc Error: Hi,i am trying to install one antivirus but in the end it's showing the below error.Error--Service is not running: CryptSvcservices---CryptSvc ---Failed to read Description,Error Code :193>Thanks SATYA...
  3. cryptSvc Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cryptSvc Error: Hi,i am trying to install one antivirus but in the end it's showing the below error.Error--Service is not running: CryptSvcservices---CryptSvc ---Failed to read Description,Error Code :193>Thanks SATYA...
  4. Delete Catroot2.bak folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete Catroot2.bak folder: I found a "Catroot2.bak" folder in my Windows/System32 directory. Is it save to delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-catroot2bak-folder/908f3543-906e-4e26-8823-512951f444a3
  5. Delete Catroot2.bak folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete Catroot2.bak folder: I found a "Catroot2.bak" folder in my Windows/System32 directory. Is it save to delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-catroot2bak-folder/908f3543-906e-4e26-8823-512951f444a3
  6. Deleted folder reappears automatically.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted folder reappears automatically.: Hi, One particular folder which is on my external hard disk reappears itself after I delete it. I even emptied the recycle bin, but the folder appears again. This happens to only that particular folder. I have deleted other files and folders but none of them reappear.Thank...
  7. Whenever i turn on game bar it automatically turns off in the settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Whenever i turn on game bar it automatically turns off in the settings: Any help? in task manager gamebar is present but whenever i press windows + G nothing shows up *note: i have done some changes in the registry editor to boost my pc so it could be one of thoses submitted by /u/King_Rexton12 [link] [comments]...
  8. Restoring CryptSvc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring CryptSvc: Hi. I mistakenly deleted my CryptSvc program, and then also foolishly tried to restore it via a reg key restoration link from TenForums (https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/restore-default-services-in-windows-10.4974/). That said, a CryptSvc folder is displayed in my...
  9. Folder getting deleted automatically

Folder getting deleted automatically: I wanted to learn Photoshop, that's why i downloaded a full guide for Photoshop of around 5 GB. Every time i put my laptop to sleep and open it, the folder is deleted. I am seriously fed me. Its more than 5 times. Plz help me....
  10. Can't rename Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folder in Windows 10

Can't rename Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folder in Windows 10: Hi Microsoft team. I have an issue with my laptop where I cannot rename files with cmd and in admin mode too. It gives me access denied i'm trying to change these files. Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to rename catroot2 windows 10

2. cryptsvc starts when renaming catroot2

3. crypton services stop rename catroot2

4. catroot2 always in use,
  5. trying to rename catroot2 starts cryptsvc,
  6. catroot contents are not deleted even if cryptsvc is stopped,
  7. stop cryptsvc gui,
  8. cant delete catroot2