Windows 10: CU - Start Menu bugs out and won't launch searched apps

Discus and support CU - Start Menu bugs out and won't launch searched apps in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I've been getting this really weird behaviour from the Start menu search tool. If I type in something like Paint or AMD (To launch Paint or AMD's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mansen, May 18, 2017.

1. Mansen Win User

CU - Start Menu bugs out and won't launch searched apps

So I've been getting this really weird behaviour from the Start menu search tool. If I type in something like Paint or AMD (To launch Paint or AMD's config tool) the icon appears in the list, but clicking it does nothing. Can't even right click launch them.

Some apps like Photoshop will launch just fine. And obviously both Paint and AMD's .exes are still in their rightful places. *Shock

:)

Mansen, May 18, 2017
  2. G. Sauer Win User

Start menu search bug

If I click the start button, the start menu opens.

Typing anything automatically opens the search - so far so good.

But if I open the start menu, e.g. click on all apps and then try to search by typing any word nothing happens.

Even if I go back the search won't come back when I type any letter.

I have to close and reopen the start menu.

Therefore I think this is a bug and has to be fixed.

G. Sauer, May 18, 2017
  3. Critical Error: Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. Windows 10 Build 10240

For me my whole entire task bar isn't working. Pressing the Start menu and search bar won't launch anything. Any advice?

Zachary Chiu, May 18, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Similar symptoms were reported by a user running Gigabyte's App Center.

If you don't have that running, you might like to look into eliminating other things that might have the same effect.

1. Try Safe Mode- is that ok?
    2. Try a clean boot- is that ok?
    and progress from there.

dalchina, May 18, 2017
  5. Mansen Win User
    Looks like a Safe Mode boot lets me use everything. Not sure what you mean by a clean boot.

I'm pretty selective with having apps running on my PC - and disabling everything in the "new" "msconfig" doesn't help.

Mansen, May 23, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    Opening Paint from the Search on the Taskbar works for me. Don't have it on the Start menu itself.

Berton, May 23, 2017
  7. Mansen Win User
    Looks like it's everything now. Can't run Control Panel, Administration or anything from the search menu any longer. They all appear in the search list but nothing happens if I try to (right) click.

Tried re-indexing with no luck.

Edit: An old secondary account on the PC does this just fine. Something is obviously interfering, but I'm stumped as to what to be honest. Nothing out of the usual installed.

Mansen, May 23, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 23, 2017
  9. Mansen Win User
    Huh... never heard it referred to as that, and I've been in IT support for over a decade. You learn something every day.

A Clean boot doesn't seem to be an (easy) option, since my account reverts from PIN to password (One which apparently doesn't match anything I've ever used, let alone my current Microsoft password)

Think I'll just create a new account and migrate things slowly one at a time and see when/if something goes wrong. Definitely sounds a lot more fun than trying to revert from a Microsoft account and back again later.

Mansen, May 23, 2017
  10. zbook New Member
    From what you described it looks like you have it solved. The current user profile appears to have some corruption.

For clean boot it is unchecking all non-Microsoft startup applications and turning off everything in task manager. For the fastest boot times many people use a quasi clean boot.......something in between........for example turning as many things off as possible to have the fastest boot and best performance. Only those items you need immediately after boot are left to start in every boot.

How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows

zbook, May 23, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    A corrupt user account is an awkward thing to deal with. Data's one thing, but getting all the programs set up if they weren't installed for all users...

Presumably system restore wouldn't have helped you here? Is it too late for that?

Note: you may well be aware of disk imaging, which we strongly and repeatedly recommend to let you recover from things like a failed disk, corruption, ransomware, an unbootable PC, user error (!).. by restoring your PC to a previously imaged working state.

E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for images.
    Can be a huge time saver.

dalchina, May 23, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Disk images are a precise copy of one state. Thus if you create an image, and restore it, you get exactly your partition as of the date you imaged it.

Imagine your disk fails. You have to clean install. What a pain!

If you have a disk image, you can install a new disk, and restore your disk image. Job done. Time saved.

That's just one example - all regular contributors here use disk imaging, as far as I know.

And did I mention - an image is also a full backup from which you can extract files and folders?

dalchina, May 23, 2017
  13. Mansen Win User

I'm aware. But considering how fast I can re-build my OS from a clean slate, I don't really want to bother with keeping images around anyway. *Smile

Just a question of redirecting user folders to my secondary drive, setting up the start menu and moving in app icons. Sure there's a bit of manual copy/pasting of Appdata but that's about it. 0 to 100 in an hour or less.

Could an image speed this process up? Sure. But I'd spend a lot more time keeping images up to date, not to mention have to store them somewhere. Like I said it's not exactly my first rodeo. Worked in PC repair and service for over a decade at this point. But that doesn't mean I have to use every tool out there. *Wink

PS: Just finished doing just that. Back to an operation user profile. *Biggrin

Mansen, May 23, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Ok, if you've just a few settings and two or three programs, and no data on your OS partition I can understand that.
    For me, it's a much bigger job (and I don't keep personal data on my OS partition).

Something I've sometimes wondered about regarding changing to a new user account - which I've never had to do from '98 thru to '10- is the case of programs installed solely for 1 user. These would need reinstalling for the new user (reg entries, start menu, %appdata% folders etc, but presumably they should be uninstalled under the old user account (if possible) first. Simply deleting a user account wouldn't necessarily clean up all items related to such programs... And if it weren't possible to log in to the corrupt user account, it wouldn't be possible to uninstall such programs. Any thoughts?

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. CU - Start Menu bugs out and won't launch searched apps - Similar Threads - Start Menu bugs

2. Bugged out windows start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bugged out windows start menu: - Unable to open my brave browser its somehow stuck in another dimension. I can see the preview but nothing open up. -Random login without password. Just start-up bar and no icon. -Brave Browers and others opening multiped tab at once. 14 tab open. -Happened after new window...
  3. Bugged out windows start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bugged out windows start menu: - Unable to open my brave browser its somehow stuck in another dimension. I can see the preview but nothing open up. -Random login without password. Just start-up bar and no icon. -Brave Browers and others opening multiped tab at once. 14 tab open. -Happened after new window...
  4. Search launches with start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search launches with start menu: [ATTACH] After updating windows, every time I press the windows button, the search function also pops up. I tried killing it with the task manager but that doesn't fix it. Please help!...
  5. Windos Start and search are bugging out

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windos Start and search are bugging out: Hi what does it mean when y windows start menu and search app keeps scrolling on its own? ty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windos-start-and-search-are-bugging-out/f56695ee-0784-4021-b1fc-d547d4a9a39c
  6. Windows start menu bugging out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows start menu bugging out: After a while, my pc has started to press random buttons including the up arrow key, and the alt key when I open the windows start menu. I have no idea how this happens and why it is only in the start menu, but I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out!...
  7. Start Menu and Search Bug

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu and Search Bug: Start button becomes unresponsive and search bar disappears when transfering something from usb or something like that.I have the latest version of Windows.Searched internet but could not find a solution.I just know that many people seems to have this start menu issue.Anyone...
  8. Games won't launch from Xbox App or Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games won't launch from Xbox App or Start Menu: When I click "Play" in the Xbox App nothing happens. If I try to launch two different games from the Start Menu it just opens this store page: [ATTACH] I've tried all the steps in the FAQ:...
  9. Weird graphical Start Menu Search bug

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird graphical Start Menu Search bug: When typing something to search for in the Start Menu, the search results don't show up and a graphical bug is visible instead. This happens randomly and only gets fixed after a reboot. The last time it occurred was after updating a Store app through the Microsoft Store....
  10. Start Menu won't launch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu won't launch: I've recently installed a fresh version of windows (was having PC issues) and all went well, apart from the fact I can no longer launch the start menu, which renders my PC essentially useless. I'd really appreciate some help here fixing the issue, as it is pretty vital. I've...