Windows 10: CU update as a VM - disable Monitor switch off - use HOST for this

Discus and support CU update as a VM - disable Monitor switch off - use HOST for this in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there For people using the CU update as a VM - SWITCH OFF the setting Turn Monitor off -- I.e set it to NEVER and allow the HOST to control the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Apr 13, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

CU update as a VM - disable Monitor switch off - use HOST for this

Hi there

For people using the CU update as a VM - SWITCH OFF the setting Turn Monitor off -- I.e set it to NEVER and allow the HOST to control the main screen otherwise you'll have to login again with password - nuisance if running file sharing services etc

The Host will handle your Monitor switch off -- the VM will then still be continuously active.

The Monitor hardware can also sometimes be used instead -- for example there's usually an "Energy saving mode" which will switch off the screen if inactive for 10 mins or so -- this won't stop the Host or VM from being fully functioning.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 13, 2017

2. Hyper-V/VMConnect/RDP multi monitor on Windows 10

On my host machine, all four of my monitors are working fine without any problems. It's the VMConnect/RDP connectivity that I am having issues with. Once I RDP into the VM from my host machine, it only connects one monitor to the VM, whereas ideally I
    would prefer 2 out of 4 or if not possible then all 4 monitors displaying the VM console and not the Host OS screen.

RizwanRizvi, Apr 13, 2017
  3. HP2294 Win User
    Hyper-V host cannot RDP into local clients running in an internal network

I have installed Hyper-V on my Windows 10 machine and are running a few different test machines on it. My test machines have two Nics -- One is disabled and primarily used when I need them to connect with the internet for various downloads etc. The other
    Nic is connected to an internal switch on the host with hardcoded IP's allowing the VMs to always communicate with each other.

My problem is when I attempt to RDP into the VMs from the host machine I am not able to reach them. IF I log into the machines first through the Hyper-V console and toggle a Nic (i.e. disable/enable one of the nics) I am able to RDP into the VM until it
    is rebooted again (My host is a laptop so they are being shutdown nightly).

I did mess around with the network settings on a previous setup and had it working -- but I am unable to reproduce the same settings. Currently the host is all "auto" setup by the system with three switches:

• External linked to my Wireless Nic
    • External Linked to my Physical Nic
    • Internal switch used for the VM's communicate amongst each other
    Any ideas on what network settings I am missing that will allow me to connect to the VM's instantly through an RDP connection? (I can console connect but prefer using RDCMan).

Thanks,

HP

HP2294, Apr 13, 2017
Thema:

CU update as a VM - disable Monitor switch off - use HOST for this

1. CU update as a VM - disable Monitor switch off - use HOST for this - Similar Threads - update disable Monitor

2. VM's - What VM OS'es /hosts / virt progs are you using

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM's - What VM OS'es /hosts / virt progs are you using: Hi folks I was just amazed that on a topic on XP I got over 10,000 views and another one over 14,000 -- so I thought would be interesting to get an idea of what VM's people are running, on what type of HOST system and what Virtualisation platform they are using -- I know...
  3. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  4. monitor switches off on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    monitor switches off on startup: After updates the computer switches OFF the monitor on startup. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-switches-off-on-startup/ec15c7e7-1fb1-4586-9164-6c64e471c3c9
  5. Host has 2 LAN adapters - use BOTH when running a VM without a switch

Host has 2 LAN adapters - use BOTH when running a VM without a switch: Hi there You can get hugely better throughput on a VM (network wise) if you have 2 LAN adapters / NIC's and use 1 for the HOST and 1 for the VM when using VBOX or VMWARE. Set the VM to use BRIDGED networking (i.e it has its own IP address). With HYPER-V you can set a...
  6. Windows CU update as HOST and Network adapter

Windows CU update as HOST and Network adapter: Hi folks running VMWARE workstation as a HOST using latest Windows CU update I've lost adapter connectivity on VM's . Network adapter shows up as disconnected even though not disconnected. Fix : Power off VM's reset the network adapter to the default via the VM menu on...
  7. Data Speed betwen HOST and VM CU edition and vmware is fixed

Data Speed betwen HOST and VM CU edition and vmware is fixed: Hi there For those using VMWARE and have VM's on the same computer as the Host --Data speed transfer now seems to work at PROPER speed instead of Network speed -- great if you are using Wifi instead of LAN connections. So for example transfer between 2 Windows VM's and...
  8. Monitor Will Not Switch Off...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor Will Not Switch Off...: Hey guys, I'm running Windows 10 Pro and I've set my monitor to turn off after 10minutes in "Power saving" but it doesn't turn off. It stays on all night... Anyone know what I can do? Thanks! 70214
  9. Use Different Network for Hyper VM vs Host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Use Different Network for Hyper VM vs Host: Is it possible for HyperV to use a different network connection (say wireless) for the VM, while the host machine uses the wired connection? If so, how does one set that up? Thanks! 103534
  10. Monitors Switch Off In Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitors Switch Off In Sleep Mode: Can anyone advise please? I have created a shortcut to enable me to put my computer into sleep mode without the power button. I am trying to find a way that I can keep my monitors in sleep mode too. They go into sleep mode and then after about twenty to thirty seconds...