Windows 10: CU version update: Windows Defender Security Center does not open.

Discus and support CU version update: Windows Defender Security Center does not open. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Updated to CU via Update Assistant. I had to start the process 3 time but in the end all went fine. Got the latest updates installed too. Trying to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Pulcinella, Apr 11, 2017.

1. CU version update: Windows Defender Security Center does not open.

Updated to CU via Update Assistant. I had to start the process 3 time but in the end all went fine. Got the latest updates installed too.
    Trying to open Windows Defender in Security Center (the only way to open WD it seems) and the blue screen with WD logo appears only for few second, then nothing happen.
    I cannot scan file using WD explorer feature neither.
    System & Security report that WD is on. No issues.

Anybody care to chip in, that would be much appreciated.

:)

Pulcinella, Apr 11, 2017
  2. Lapski Win User

Windows Defender Security Center Manual Scanning Controls (Application) Location

Laptop computer operating system is Windows 10 Home. It has just been updated to Version: 1703.

This update removed the original Windows 10 Defender interface and installed a new "Windows Defender Security Center."
    On my computer, the Windows Defender Security Center provides 5 applications, but neither of these contains the means for performing (invoking) a Windows 10 Defender manual Full, Quick, and Custom scans.

[Note: "Kaspersky Total Security" software program installed.]

Question:

Via the new Windows Defender Security Center, how does one perform a manual full scan against the complete computer -- Where is the manual scanning application located within the new Windows 10 Defender software?

Thank you for the help and assistance -- Much appreciated.

Lapski, Apr 11, 2017
  3. Windows Launcher can't download files in Administator mode.

Uninstall BitDefender at Settings > Apps & Features.

Then restart PC, make sure Defender is on in Security Center at Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender > Open Security Center.

Continue with steps I gave.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 11, 2017
  4. CU version update: Windows Defender Security Center does not open.

MikeMecanic, Apr 11, 2017
  5. @Mike
    it is not a case of delayed UI for me, WD just does not open even if I wait till the cows come home.
    Appreciate the help though.

Pulcinella, Apr 11, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The old Defender UI opens for me in the Creators Update, but it does take its time - up to a minute. If you really must use it then this tutorial tells you how...
    Create Windows Defender Antivirus Shortcut in Windows 10

...but you really shouldn't need it. Most everything it did is now available through the Defender Security Center, plus a lot more.
    Open Windows Defender Security Center in Windows 10

@Pulcinella, there appears to be some confusion here. You don't need or want the old green Defender UI, all its functions are in the Defender Security Center now - quick scan, advanced scan, check for updates, scan history, quarantined items etc.. The quick way to open the Security Center is right-click on the Defender icon in the notification area and select 'Open'.

If you mean the Security Center itself appears briefly then disappears, then it may need re-registering. Do any other built-in modern apps briefly flash and disappear?

Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10

7. If you mean the Security Center itself appears briefly then disappears, then it may need re-registering. Do any other built-in modern apps briefly flash and disappear?

Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10[/QUOTE]

Correct. Did a refresh already. WD Security Center did work for an hour or so, then the same issue happened.
    I only reinstalled MBAE free, and HMP free, this one app to run a quick scan at start up.
    There maybe a conflict here, just guessing though.
    Changed HMP settings, on demand only now, and stopped MBAE protection.
    NO changes. I'll try to uninstall those to Apps and report.

Pulcinella, Apr 11, 2017
  8. CU version update: Windows Defender Security Center does not open.

WD Security Center does work now that I do not have any other Security Apps installed. Finger Crossed...

Pulcinella, Apr 11, 2017
  9. Ref post #6
    CU Windows Defender and its Security Center does not seems to take third party security apps kindly.
    IMO It should not be so.

Pulcinella, Apr 11, 2017
  10. Airider Win User
    I use Kaspersky and now for some days RansomFree too. The Windows Defender through Settings works fine with them .....but several times the only way to get Windows Defenders Security Center and thus Windows Defender Anti-Virus options (important for ME to get Periodic Scanning, since I will NOT run the computer without Kaspersky on FULLTIME) .... is System Restore, and then maybe only day back, since CU came in more than a week ago.

YAY, System Restore!

Airider, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

CU version update: Windows Defender Security Center does not open.

1. CU version update: Windows Defender Security Center does not open. - Similar Threads - version update Defender

2. I can't open Security Center and Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I can't open Security Center and Windows Defender: Hi team, hi mates I have a problem. I can't open Security Center and Windows Defender. Windows Firewall, at first, is ok. Three days ago I formatted my computer and I install Windows Enterprise 10. Everything is fine but, suddenly, I lost the control of the computer. The...
  3. Open Windows Defender Security Center button does not work, click then no result.

Open Windows Defender Security Center button does not work, click then no result.: Yesterday installed Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 x64 2019-05C on HP laptop. Today installed more Defender definition updates. The Open Windows Defender Security Center button clicks then nothing happens. How do I fix this???...
  4. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: My Windows Defender Security Center is not working. There are no options like virus & threat protection and others. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-security-center/2f1968ec-0098-4aae-b4c5-ef25f94f5cc6"
  5. Problem with windows security center(Defender) and updates

Problem with windows security center(Defender) and updates: Hi! About a two weeks ago windows defender disappeared and also windows updates didnt work anymore. (0x80080005) Windows was new and clean. It turned out that the services are lost. I made new clean install and now after week or two i have the same problem. Windows...
  6. I cannot open the windows defender security center

I cannot open the windows defender security center: I have clicked the security center but does not open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-open-the-windows-defender-security-center/e5b59d72-30db-4155-95f6-d5baefdc2d92"
  7. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: Hi, Every time I connect to VPN(Client Network) from My personal laptop I get windows defender security center popup- Its shows all as green but yet it continuously pop up. I can not type a mail or do anything else. It happens only when VPN connection is done. I tried to...
  8. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: I keep getting notification that threats has been found, "Windows anti virus protection found threats. Get details. When I click on the message or manual open the defender center I get the message there are no current threats and the center is locked up. I have rebooted...
  9. Windows Defender Security Center

Windows Defender Security Center: When I boot my system (Windows 10 Home Ed.) "Windows Defender Security Center" always pops up windowed (not minimised). is this normal (I can't remember that it was always like this) and can I do something about it so that it starts minimised ? 112234
  10. Windows Defender Security Center Won't Stay Open

Windows Defender Security Center Won't Stay Open: When I open Windows Defender Security Center, it opens and then closes itself. I’m running Windows 10 Home, v1703, with the latest updates. I run Norton Security as my primary AV & firewall with the latest updates. I did a system reset in the last couple of months....