Windows 10: Cumulative update during business hours?

Discus and support Cumulative update during business hours? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My PC (win 10 pro, 64bit) started a cumulative update at about 9am this morning and it's still cranking. Is it really necessary to do that during... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by esebm, Oct 11, 2016.

1. esebm Win User

Cumulative update during business hours?

My PC (win 10 pro, 64bit) started a cumulative update at about 9am this morning and it's still cranking.
    Is it really necessary to do that during business hours despite my business hours setup is from 8am to 8pm?
    I remember, before the anniversary update, the updates started in the evening when I shut down my PC, went through its paces at night and shut the PC down when it was finished. What happened to that?
    Thanks,
    Ed

:)

esebm, Oct 11, 2016

2. Trying to install Windows 10 - error code 0x80004005

Error 0x80004005 and update fails during windows 10 update. Specifically: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3093266)

RichardPiatek, Oct 11, 2016
  3. Upgrading to 1703 from version 1607- KB4013418

Windows 10 setup will install the latest cumulative updates automatically, as long as you remain connected the Internet during installation.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    1. You can block Windows updates from downloading by various widely published means. The downloads otherwise occur at any time.
    2. You can use Active Hours (build 1607) to prevent restarts during a 12 hr period max. You should be able to use 3rd party software to block restarts otherwise (I haven't managed to definitively test that with updates).
    3. Pro upwards editions support deferring upgrades (in Settings).

dalchina, Oct 11, 2016
  5. esebm Win User
    Thanks for the quick response, I have checked "Defer Feature Updates".
    My main reason is the restart. After any update, I have a heck of a time to restart my PC. I usually see a black screen with rotating white dots for hours. I have to cut power and restart a dozen times before the PC finally gets to its working state. It's a pain in the rear.

esebm, Oct 11, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hmm, have you run chkdsk c: /F ? Could be something else entirely of course... It's very poor that updates are causing so many issues- I never noticed that on Win 7 or 8 or earlier.

I had to try the current one twice- but the restart was no issue, nor has it ever been. But there's that uncomfortable lurking feeling your PC might not boot properly..

Best defence/preparation is to use disk imaging routinely. System Restore sometimes doesn't work when you want it to.

dalchina, Oct 11, 2016
  7. esebm Win User
    As I had mentioned, that restart issue started with the anniversary update.
    Regular everyday starts in the morning are no problem at all, only after updates.

esebm, Oct 11, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

I was only referring to a restart after an update. It's worth running chkdsk- it's a routine thing.

It might also be that sthg you have installed has an impact in some way.

Analysis: bound to be time consuming. And tricky as you're only interested in a restart after an update.
    Analyzing a Slow Boot with Windows Performance Recorder Helge Klein

dalchina, Oct 11, 2016
  9. esebm Win User
    I did that chkdsk thing a while ago and it did not yield anything.
    I'll try that Windows Performance Recorder, if I can figure it out.
    Thanks for your help.
    Ed

esebm, Oct 11, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Of course you can recreate the scenario- presumably- by uninstalling an update and repeating the update. For this purpose it may be convenient to have installation file for the update- see the relevant post for KBxxxxxxx in the News section here for a link (usually the first post)

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cumulative update during business hours? - Similar Threads - Cumulative update during

2. Windows updating during active hours

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows updating during active hours: Windows is always updating and saying update is 100% complete and updates for long period of time . How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-updating-during-active-hours/123aeb5a-64cd-4269-85b8-64a7ad6cc443
  3. Windows updating during active hours

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows updating during active hours: Windows is always updating and saying update is 100% complete and updates for long period of time . How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-updating-during-active-hours/123aeb5a-64cd-4269-85b8-64a7ad6cc443
  4. Windows updating during active hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Preventing Windows Update Downloads during active hours

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preventing Windows Update Downloads during active hours: Sometimes I notice that my Edge browser is very slow to respond. It is very annoying when I am trying to getthings done. An hour or so later I get a message from Windows Update that my device will restart outside of active hours. Is there any way to postpone Windows downloads...
  6. Updates active during non active hours

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updates active during non active hours: Have updates to go off from 12-7am cause my internet is alright during these times. Whenever I hop on my pc during a time that isn't during that specification, it does it anyway. This has started within the last month and I've tried re-editing the time schedule but it seems...
  7. Windows Update preparing/running during active hours

Windows Update preparing/running during active hours: Good afternoon, This is a followup to the followup of my original question from 2017, both of which have been locked for inactivity. I am having essentially the same exact problem, which never went away. "From [the original] thread: "1) Background processes related to...
  8. Update during active hours

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update during active hours: If I choose to update during active hours do I need to adjust the active times before I start? Len 138957
  9. Windows Update preparing/running during active hours

Windows Update preparing/running during active hours: Good afternoon, This is a followup to the original question here, which has since been locked for inactivity. From that thread: "1) Background processes related to Windows Update were affecting my computer performance during my active hours." There was no clear resolution...
  10. Windows Updates downloading and installing during active hours

Windows Updates downloading and installing during active hours: Hi Windows 10 updated always downloads and installs updates during my active hours which slows the computer to a crawl. I have checked and double checked the active hours settings and it still downloads and installs the update (luckily it doesn't auto restart). Why is...