Windows 10: Curious about Win 10 installs

Discus and support Curious about Win 10 installs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a difference between a full install of Win 10 and the free upgrade? What I'm trying to ask is, once its installed, can you tell what you have?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by milford, Aug 10, 2015.

1. milford Win User

Curious about Win 10 installs

Is there a difference between a full install of Win 10 and the free upgrade? What I'm trying to ask is, once its installed, can you tell what you have?

:)

milford, Aug 10, 2015
  2. JoanH319 Win User

Curious

Curious about if there is a Spam Setting for my emails as I had in Win. 7. Is there?

JoanH319, Aug 10, 2015
  3. skeptisch Win User
    Upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro will be to Windows 10 Home or Pro?

roncajuldo makes sense, but why does a purchased and properly activated Win 8.1 Pro license only produces an upgrade to Win 10 Home? I remain curious, but am by now getting a tad dubious about MS' upgrade logic.

skeptisch, Aug 10, 2015
  4. Curious about Win 10 installs

free upgrade is a full install, it gives you a version equivalent to what you are currently running

Settings->System->About will show what version of 10 you have

I had 8 Home version, so now I have 10 Home version

paulsalter, Aug 10, 2015
  5. simrick Win User
    Hello Milford and Welcome to TenForums!

As Paul says, you will get a full installation of the version you have now. Just to take that a little bit further:

Once you've upgraded, and activated your new W10 OS, you will be able to "clean install" W10 on that same machine in the future, as often as needed. No keycode will be required, you just "skip" when it asks for a code, because your machine has already been upgraded.

Just wanted to make sure you knew that.

W10 ISO can be had from the MS Media Creation Tool. Download the architecture for your machine (32 or 64 bit), and create the ISO which can be burned to a DVD for future installations.

To verify activation, go to All Settings, type "activation" in the search box, and select "See if Windows is Activated". This will show you the edition of Windows and the activation status. If you are not activated, please give the system some reboots to see if this resolves.

simrick, Aug 10, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Here's one thing to keep in mind. When you upgrade from Win8.1, for instance. Win10 will carry over features from 8.1 to 10 like Photo Viewer. If you then clean install 10 you will lose Photo Viewer .. you can get it back with a reg hack. Oh and for some reason with the upgrade bat files run fine but with a clean install they don't.

Just an FYI.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Aug 10, 2015
  7. simrick Win User
    simrick, Aug 10, 2015
  8. Craige Win User

I am doin clean install soon, can I know how to get Default Windows 7, photo viewer back in Win 10 ?

Craige, Aug 11, 2015
  9. paulsalter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Curious about Win 10 installs - Similar Threads - Curious installs

2. I am curious why the copy /paste function doesn't work well when copying from the windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am curious why the copy /paste function doesn't work well when copying from the windows...: I have noticed over the past few months if not more, that when I try to copy text from the Windows 10 default mail app, that I basically need to copy the same text by typing ctrl C repeatedly at least 5 times in order to copy the text.I may have to go back and forth to the...
  3. I am curious why the copy /paste function doesn't work well when copying from the windows...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I am curious why the copy /paste function doesn't work well when copying from the windows...: I have noticed over the past few months if not more, that when I try to copy text from the Windows 10 default mail app, that I basically need to copy the same text by typing ctrl C repeatedly at least 5 times in order to copy the text.I may have to go back and forth to the...
  4. This randomly got installed with "Canon Inkjet Utility". I'm curious what is this for?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This randomly got installed with "Canon Inkjet Utility". I'm curious what is this for?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SpyderGamer [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/vsugr9/this_randomly_got_installed_with_canon_inkjet/
  5. Genuinely curious why I got this after logging in. I haven't installed any updates. I...

Genuinely curious why I got this after logging in. I haven't installed any updates. I...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/KingAlrighty [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fkjf6y/genuinely_curious_why_i_got_this_after_logging_in/
  6. Bitlocker: I'm really curious about how Bitlocker not only got installed but got turned on

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker: I'm really curious about how Bitlocker not only got installed but got turned on: My niece has a Dell laptop running Windows 10 Home. A few weeks ago when she tried to use it she got a screen asking for her for a Bitlocker Recovery Key. My questions are Does Dell include a version of Bitlocker on a home version of Windows 10 or is it possible she...
  7. Curious: storing other files on an installation drive

Curious: storing other files on an installation drive: I just used the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB just in case I ever need it. There is still about 24GB free on the USB. Does this have to stay empty or can other files be stored there? (of course in a separate folder on the drive) submitted by...
  8. Curious Problem Booting from Windows 10 Installation USB?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Curious Problem Booting from Windows 10 Installation USB?: I've just created a Windows 10 installation USB using the Media Creation Tool. I then booted it on my Windows 8.1 Pro desktop PC just to check the USB stick would boot. It booted to the first installation Windows 10 installation window as expected. I didn't want to do...
  9. Some curious installation experience with Sysprep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Some curious installation experience with Sysprep: I have a 3-day old clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1511. This is sysprep-ed install with 'Users' folder relocated to D: drive. This install, as I suddenly discovered, suffered from the following issue: When I started Windows Feedback app, it presented me...
  10. Curious to know about Installation of windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Curious to know about Installation of windows 10: when you upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 does it really upgrade to win 10 or does it upgrade win 7 to win 8.1 ? Reason why I ask this is because I just use BelarcAdvisor Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration...