Windows 10: Curious about windows.old not being automatically being removed

Discus and support Curious about windows.old not being automatically being removed in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm working on an Acer ES1-533 Win10 laptop. On Nov 16 it updated to version 1709 (OS Build 16299.64) from 1703. Windows.old (24.8 GB) is dated Nov 16... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MeAndMyComputer, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Curious about windows.old not being automatically being removed

I'm working on an Acer ES1-533 Win10 laptop. On Nov 16 it updated to version 1709 (OS Build 16299.64) from 1703.
    Windows.old (24.8 GB) is dated Nov 16 and I thought it would be automatically removed 10 days after the update but here it is Nov 26 and it's still there.
    --- Am I wrong in expecting it to be automatically removed 10 days after the update?
    --- I am not interested in removing it at this time as I can ask the owner to let me see if it's still there after 30 days out of curiosity.
    --- Actually I'm thinking of leaving it alone either way. The way the owner user uses their computer leaves something to be desired.

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Nov 25, 2017

2. Windows 10 Professional Update Issue - Problems Installing Updates

Malwarebytes Exploit protection just stopped me going there as a malware site

Curious Being, Nov 25, 2017
  3. PC DOC INFECTED DID RESET PC, HV SECURITY Q

Dell Latitude

E6440

Win 7 Pro 64 bit upgraded to Win Pro ten 64 bit

No issues since

Full versions of Malwarebytes exploit and Malware. MS started messg that no AV working, MW said a chrome file kept trying to go to 2 sites (ce.lijit/algovid). shut it down, added those as blocked sites to edge, FF &Chrome. Then lost network connection (for
    me, but it was open connecting someone). Then got all these PC DOC files, fonts changed and lost admin rights tho I am only person using my laptop. System files changed too, couldn't update any security software; suddenly new "everyone" profile has complete
    control and I have none. Tried rebooting from repair disc, it changed all the files. All dated as created on 7/12~7/16 on mine, but origin date was 5/24 from elsewhere.

Had to do reset option, lost my Office 365 etc. Ran Def offline first, full scan says np, but hasn't updated in 4 days as above.

Before reset, had tried safe boot w/networking or any safe boot. Wouldn't work. Tried resetting permissions etc, No good.

So: I'm afraid to connect to update, reset somehow kept these EVERYONE'S permissions. What should I do?

2) where can I find a succinct, thorough list of legit user and group accounts?

3) is it safe to search files for any PC Doctor file? Last time I did, it immediately replaced system folders, rather than list results

4) how can I set myself as the only owner with total control on PC?

thanks so much, desperate! !

Curious Being, Nov 25, 2017
  4. Curious about windows.old not being automatically being removed

Masterchiefxx17, Nov 25, 2017
  5. That is a good tutorial to refer to. Although it mentions "The Windows.old folder will be automatically deleted 10 days after you upgraded." the FCU is an update, maybe that makes a difference. I'll wait to see what the status is after 30 days.

EDIT: For recording purposes only.
    I checked a friends Win10 desktop this morning on which I had used Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials . He had 1607 but was having issues, I decided to do that and it installed 1709 on 11/15/17 and it runs fine: no issues. Here it is 11/27/17, 12 days later. I don't know what it's for but the only item I see is $RecycleBin. Maybe there wasn't a windows.old within the 10 day period but I guess I'll never know.
    --- BTW, these tutorials on this forum are excellent.

MeAndMyComputer, Nov 26, 2017
  6. Yes, the tutorials are quite professional. It's something I quite like to see.

Check back here in 30 days, but I personally just remove them using Disk Cleanup.

Masterchiefxx17, Nov 27, 2017
  7. --- Interesting : Today 11/27/17 Windows.old is 0 bytes.
    I didn't mention this in my original post but Disk Cleanup had been reporting Previous Windows Installation(s) 27.2GB.
    Today 11/27/17 Disk Cleanup reports Previous Windows Installation(s) 1.01GB.
    --- I did not have Previous Windows Installation(s) checked as I wanted to see what would happen naturally.

EDIT: Revised summary. The 10-day period does apply.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Curious about windows.old not being automatically being removed

1. Curious about windows.old not being automatically being removed - Similar Threads - Curious old being

2. Curious question about Old OEM Keys on Windows XP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Curious question about Old OEM Keys on Windows XP: My first PC was in October 2002 I as a curious question about OEM Keys I basically got my question answered I understand there tied to the motherboard and doesn’t matter often you use the PC or how long you leave the PC off for you’ll still receive updates. But this time its...
  3. About being hacked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About being hacked: Last week and again this week I've been advised of online purchases with two major retailors that I never made. They were charged to my credit card, one through PayPal and the other direct to my card. These fraudsters have both my credit card number and my address The charges...
  4. About being hacked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    About being hacked: Last week and again this week I've been advised of online purchases with two major retailors that I never made. They were charged to my credit card, one through PayPal and the other direct to my card. These fraudsters have both my credit card number and my address The charges...
  5. About being hacked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Question about being hacked.

Question about being hacked.: Hi! Is it possible to reset my windows 10 laptop's 4 digit pin on the Microsoft website? I think that my laptop got hacked so I can't sign back in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-being-hacked/a1b172a0-0b9d-4c78-9773-85fa2ff5e8db
  7. Curious about this

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Curious about this: Is the disk partition System Reserved the same as the system drive? submitted by /u/Jaykocravden [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hssyzb/curious_about_this/
  8. Programs being removed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs being removed: Why is windows 10 removing programs from my computer all by itself? It removed Firefox and Chrome from my desktop but not Edge or IE. Just a coincidence was it? It also removed a video player and a screen recorder, not yours of course. Yours returns error messages when I try...
  9. Call about being hacked

Call about being hacked: My mother-in-law just received a call about her computer being hacked, she didn't give them access and asked if she could call them back and then called me, I told her it's a scam to shut down her computer for now. I was wondering if you would like the number she was give to...
  10. about being administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    about being administrator: i accidentally changed my account from administrator to standard and i cant use anything well. its always restricted. it says"To continue,type administrator password, and then click Yes." but the problem is that i dont remember keeping any password and i have tried al of my...