Windows 10: Curious Intel SSD Smart Data Issue

Discus and support Curious Intel SSD Smart Data Issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My Intel 520 189GB SSD works fine in Windows 10 but I noted a high Unexpected Power Loss & Unsafe Shutdown count of 861 in the SMART data. The PC shuts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Steve C, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

Curious Intel SSD Smart Data Issue

My Intel 520 189GB SSD works fine in Windows 10 but I noted a high Unexpected Power Loss & Unsafe Shutdown count of 861 in the SMART data. The PC shuts down fine and all PC lights go out. After discussion with Intel Support, we have concluded this is probably due to the way my Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard powers off or because I turn the PC off at the mains every night.

Does anyone else have a high Unexpected Power Loss & Unsafe Shutdown count in their SMART data?

:)

Steve C, Sep 6, 2016
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 6, 2016
  3. hugatest Win User
    Need a D drive on a laptop with 1 SSD drive and 4 primary partitions preinstalled

Hi OctavianQR thanks alot for your input!

You seem to have a simple solution but..

1) I didn't quite understand what you say except for the last part where you say "change your to E if you have one and the rest will default to F G USB"S and EHD."

If I create a D from the 8.01GB partition, when I place a USB drive in the laptop I assume that will become E and F if I place 2 USB drives into the laptop. By the way what is EHD (extended hard disk?) and what do you mean by it ?

2) On a forum I bumped into this info below concerning the 8.01GB partition, so it may be tricky to merge this space with C ?

The 39.19MB partition and 8.01 GB partitions are used for the Intel Smart Response, Rapid Start, and Smart Connect Technologies. Dell has a white paper describing how they work, but it does not explain the partitioning scheme.

Smart Response is not used in an SSD-only laptop, as it is only used when both an SSD and HDD are present (the SSD being used as cache for the HDD, making it like a hybrid drive).

Rapid Start is kind of an improved version of hibernation that the system can use to save power and resume quickly. Smart Connect is a technology that leverages Rapid Start to occasionally wake a sleeping/hibernating system to access the internet to check email,
    update social media, etc.

If you don't want to use any of these features, these partitions can go away, but Rapid Start is nice to have as long as space isn't critical.

The 15.67GB partition is Dell's factory recovery partition, if you have made restore media or ordered the free recovery media from Dell, it's not needed either.

So you COULD eliminate the 15.67GB partition and add it to C: to have more storage, and eventually the 8.01 GB partition
    if you're willing to give up Rapid Start and Smart Connect.

--

What is Intel® Smart Response Technology?

Smart Response is a feature that uses both a traditional hard disk drive (HDD) and a small solid state drive (SSD) together. It dynamically monitors file, data, and application use, and stores frequently used content on a special partition on a small SSD device
    for faster access. It provides SSD-like read/write performance for the files used most frequently, while providing lower overall storage cost by sorting and storing less frequently accessed content on the larger-sized traditional HDD.

What is Intel® Rapid Start Technology?

Rapid Start is a feature that provides power savings similar to Windows® hibernate state, while improving resume time vs. hibernate by ~2x. Rapid Start may be combined with Smart Response on some systems to enhance overall system performance while also reducing
    power consumption when not in use.

What is Intel® Smart Connect Technology?

Smart Connect is feature that periodically wakes the system from the Windows® sleep state to refresh email or social networking applications. When the system is equipped with specific wireless devices, it can detect the presence of known networks while asleep,
    waking only when connectivity is available. When properly equipped with specific wireless devices, Smart Connect can also provide quick internet connection readiness, by keeping wireless devices active in a low-power mode during sleep. Smart Connect may be
    combined with Rapid Start on some systems to help reduce power consumption while still keeping email and other application data current.

--

Disabling

Warning about deleting the Smart Response partition (!), or removing the Smart Response SSD cache device: Manually deleting/erasing the Smart Response partition is strongly discouraged. Depending on the state of the system, and what files have been cached to
    the SSD during use, deleting the Smart Response partition could result in permanent data loss. Should the need to disable Smart Response arise, the safest way to defeat the feature is from within the Rapid Storage Manager application.

Disabling Smart Response within the Rapid Storage application: This is the preferred method of disabling Smart Response. Doing this will allow the cache to be properly flushed back to the hard drive.

Removing the mSATA/SSD or HDD:

Before removing the HDD or cache from the system, the Smart Response feature should be disabled in the Rapid Storage Manager application by clicking the “Disable acceleration” link either on the main status page, or under the Acceleration menu.

Repairing Inaccessible Cache:

If the HDD or mSATA/SSD cache device are replaced without disabling Smart Response first (due to a HDD repair process, or upgrades), the status of the cache may appear as “Inaccessible”:

More info via PDF here: Dell Whitepaper: Intel Responsiveness Technologies Setup Guide - Direct2Dell

hugatest, Sep 6, 2016
Thema:

Curious Intel SSD Smart Data Issue

1. Curious Intel SSD Smart Data Issue - Similar Threads - Curious Intel SSD

2. Issues with Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio: This is a HP Pavilion Laptop 15-eg0xxxI keep getting this error: device cannot start. Code 10 An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function.I have uninstalled all the audio drivers and reinstalled them and the microphone still won't work. I ran the HP support...
  3. Issues with Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio: This is a HP Pavilion Laptop 15-eg0xxxI keep getting this error: device cannot start. Code 10 An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function.I have uninstalled all the audio drivers and reinstalled them and the microphone still won't work. I ran the HP support...
  4. Issues with Intel Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Intel RST data at risk warning - how to resolve? (SSD & Intel Optane)

Intel RST data at risk warning - how to resolve? (SSD & Intel Optane): I have an Acer Aspire 5 (A515-51G). (Specs: i5-8250u; 4gb DDR and 16gb Intel Optane memory). I replaced the mechanical HDD with a 240gb Sandisk SSD and did a fresh install of Windows 10 home (ver 20H2). I updated the drivers from the Acer website, and after it installed the...
  6. Curious sleep mode issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Curious sleep mode issue: Hey guys. So I have a fairly new Win10 Pro 64-bit installation on a high-end Ryzen based gaming desktop and since a week or two, I can't put the PC into sleep mode anymore. When I click on sleep in the power sub-menu of the start-menu, the monitor goes dark as expected, but...
  7. Curious

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Curious: I've been having issues for about a month with my windows 10 on the activation side. I've been getting help through tech support and they got me an ISO to install. My question is - can I still use the key that came pre-installed on my comp, or do I have to go and strike up...
  8. Unsafe shutdown SMART data

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unsafe shutdown SMART data: Dear all, I have noticed that with fast startup enabled the SMART data on my NVME SSD for unsafe shutdowns increases everytime I shutdown. It does not increase on a restart or with fast startup disabled. I am running the latest BIOS for my ASUS motherboard, the latest...
  9. Intel Smart Sound Technology

Intel Smart Sound Technology: I'm having problems with sound drivers. Yesterday I had no sound at all and after extensive query, downloaded the RealTek audio driver which brought back the sound but now I am getting sound through the display when my headphones are plugged in. In device manager I see a...
  10. SSD Media Wear out Indicator Smart Data Question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Media Wear out Indicator Smart Data Question: Hi All Still getting used to having an SSD Drive, supposedly it trimmed autoly on March 9th, so that's good, now looked into Smart data in Western Digitals SSD Dashboard, and got a concern, that possibly somethings writing a lot I might be concerned over nothing, but...