Windows 10: Currently on build 10240 - but want to fresh install on 29th

Discus and support Currently on build 10240 - but want to fresh install on 29th in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm currently on build 10240 and I want to do a clean installation on the 29th when Windows 10 is officially released. I upgraded to Windows 10 via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by oseph, Jul 26, 2015.

1. oseph Win User

Currently on build 10240 - but want to fresh install on 29th

I'm currently on build 10240 and I want to do a clean installation on the 29th when Windows 10 is officially released.

I upgraded to Windows 10 via Windows 8.1 update, so will the same key I previously used to activate 8.1 now activate a fresh installation of Windows 10? Or do I have to reinstall 8.1 Pro, then upgrade again to Win10?

:)

oseph, Jul 26, 2015
  2. lintekPC Win User

What build would be deployed if I wait?

Really? No one from Microsoft has any idea? I'm asking because in the past using XP, Vista, and Windows 7. If I perform a clean install, the next thing I would do is to install all available updates and patches. That process takes forever. Will the same
    apply if customer waits six months from July 29th to upgrade to Windows 10? It's only speculation as to what the patch level will be at that time. Will the starting point for the upgrade always be the July 29th build even if I wait until the last day of the
    free offer?

July 29: build 10240

|

|

----- Six months later: install build 10240+patches or install build #####

|

|

----- Six months later: install build 10240+patches or install build #####

lintekPC, Jul 26, 2015
  3. Installing Windows 10 Build 10240 - Will I lose support/activation?

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

As you have mentioned that “The RTM Build of Windows 10 is obviously 10240, and will be released publicly on the 29th”
    this Windows build 10240 is not the final version it is a build, you can install the build 10240 now. Once the Final Version Windows is released you need to upgrade again on 29th July 2015 because few features might been removed or added
    in the final version.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 26, 2015
  4. Currently on build 10240 - but want to fresh install on 29th

Most likely -- yes. As to HOW you enter that key, we don't know at present. Win10 might prompt for a key, or it may search the drives for an installed version of Win7/8/8.1.

Mark Phelps, Jul 26, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    I have never seen a Windows upgrade that directly accepted the license key from the qualifying OS to install or activate the new version. On the other hand, there has been no broadly available free upgrade before. (There have been free upgrades, but only to those who bought a PC with a qualifying OS within a limited time before the release of the new OS. That was available mainly to reduce the number of people who would put off a PC purchase while a new OS release was imminent.)

I know that if you install 10 build 10240 as an upgrade over an installed and activated 8.1, no key is needed. I haven't tried the upgrade mode where everything from 8.1 is discarded. (That'd still be an upgrade, as you would launch the 10 installer from within 8.1. I believe that if you booted the PC from media containing the installer and ran the installer from that, you'd need a key. The key may be unavailable.)

I have read claims that once you've done an initial upgrade to 10, you will be permitted to do a clean 10 install on the same machine. The details of how that would work are limited enough that I remain skeptical.

I wish that MS had had a deal similar to that for Windows 8. For a limited time in pre-release, they sold an upgrade license for $40US. That included a key, which could be used any time. Free is good, but I'd cheerfully pay $40 for a license with fewer restrictions.

bobkn, Jul 26, 2015
  6. First time poster. Long time lurker.

I have a surface pro 3 running 9xxx build upgraded via windows 8.1 I then updated the build to 10240 and windows remains activated. I took a risk and did a clean install of windows 10 10240 via windows esd to iso. Don't input any keys when it's asking for keys. Just hit skip. I had to skip once via the usb boot side and then another time when setting up th account. After booting to desktop, windows will automatically activate via your old keys.

I am running a clean install 10240 on my SP3 pro right now.

Good luck

[edit] I do not know if this has anything to do with the uefi bios which has the keys implemented into the bios. I know sp3 pro does it this way

Johndong888, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Currently on build 10240 - but want to fresh install on 29th

1. Currently on build 10240 - but want to fresh install on 29th - Similar Threads - Currently build 10240

2. Build 10240

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Build 10240: So basically im still on the build 10240 and tried updating my computer, i got the error code 0x80240fff and tried updating it with the update assistant that i could download, but that didnt work and was told to restart my pc and try again did that and it still didnt work.....
  3. sound blaster on build 10240

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sound blaster on build 10240: I cannot get my surround 5.1 audio to work with this most recent build of 10240; and i cannot get into the enhancements that are supposed to be available for my card which is the x-fi titanium pci express sound card from creative. Is there any way to resolve this or do I just...
  4. Auto Login build 10240

Auto Login build 10240: HI, Dose any one know how to activate auto login netplwiz dose not work. 8390
  5. New install to 10240 on current 10240 comp

New install to 10240 on current 10240 comp: Thought I would report on a very good experience. My comp has been upgraded through various OSs and has been on the insider program since Oct, and was on 10240. While it was running fine, there were indicators that it would benefit from a 'clean' install. So, after a fair...
  6. No update to 10240 on build 10162

No update to 10240 on build 10162: Hey guys, I've just installed Windows 10 build 10162 in my computer. I got the iso file from a torrenting site because Microsoft removed all the isos from the technical preview page, and I was late. I installed the iso in my pc, and then I checked for updates. No Windows...
  7. Build 10240 installed pro not home how to fix

Build 10240 installed pro not home how to fix: hi I upgraded my laptop from 8 core to 8.1 to build 10166 pro to 10240 pro but do I need to get iso for 10240 core or re install 8.1 core and windows update build 10240 core. Easiest way please. 8308
  8. How to activate WIn10 Build 10240 CLean Install

How to activate WIn10 Build 10240 CLean Install: I installed Build 10240 on a brand new SSD drive with no problems. However, Windows rejects the the activation code I found on another post in this forum: How to activate the latest Windows 10 build - Microsoft Community That post says activation really isn't necessary,...
  9. 10240 will not install

10240 will not install: downloaded as an upgrade and installed but it keeps reverting back to 10130,it configures to 100% and restarts and boots back in to 10130 any ideas guys 8345
  10. Problems with Build 10240

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Build 10240: So far, I have no sound and Cortana is not working when I speak to her. Any solutions and fixed? 8367