Windows 10: Cursor Selection Scrolls Erratically in Microsoft Services

Discus and support Cursor Selection Scrolls Erratically in Microsoft Services in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been experiencing a problem for a day or two now, and it has persisted across multiple reboots. When I open certain menus in Windows 10, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Matthew Eater, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Cursor Selection Scrolls Erratically in Microsoft Services

I have been experiencing a problem for a day or two now, and it has persisted across multiple reboots.

When I open certain menus in Windows 10, the selection automatically scrolls to the top option, regardless of what I have selected. This only seems to affect Windows services; it occurs when I right click a taskbar icon, when I open the start menu, or when I open the search menu. It also affects Skype, scrolling up when I click inside the "Type a message" box.

For the taskbar this does not cause a serious problem, it is only disorienting. However, this problem is preventing me from using the Search function, typing messages into Skype, or even selecting the power options (Sleep/Restart/Shutdown) from the start menu.

It doesn't affect the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen, nor does it seem to affect other applications. This leads me to believe it is not a hardware problem, or at least not as simple as a stuck key. Unplugging my keyboard also had no effect.

I recorded a short video to illustrate the problem, though I didn't show Skype to maintain my contacts' privacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdu_Aq3kBFM

Specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 3803, 1/22/2018
    SMBIOS Version 2.8
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

:)

Matthew Eater, Jul 18, 2018

2. erratic cursor

erratic cursor stops typing and moves to top left or right I have changed to a wired mouse from wireless but still happens with and with out mouse, cannot get any thing done

John

JSaunders 51, Jul 18, 2018
  3. Erratic scrolling down behavior

Hello Herminio,

The scrolling issue you're experiencing on your Windows 10 laptop might be due to a misconfiguration of a device driver. It would be great if you can tell us more about your concern. Please answer the following questions:

• When did the issue start?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Have you installed the
      latest updates
      for Windows 10?
    • What is the current Version and OS Build of your Windows 10 PC? You can find this information by clicking the
      Start button, type winver, and then press
      Enter

For now, we suggest running the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. This troubleshooter will scan and fix your Windows PC for any issues detected with hardware components or devices. Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Select Update & Security >
      Troubleshoot.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select
      Hardware and Devices.
    • Click Run the troubleshooter.
    • If prompted, click Yes or enter the administrator password.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction.

You can also access the troubleshooter from this support
    article
    , under Find and fix problems with devices and hardware.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Devlin Sco, Jul 18, 2018
  4. Cursor Selection Scrolls Erratically in Microsoft Services

erratic cursor

I have tried all suggested with out success I even changed the keyboard and the mouse to a wired one.

I think I have found a solution I remembered that I recently ran Norton Utilities where it resets the PC reference point and since then I have had the problems, So I have been going through all my recent Word documents and saving them with the current
    date, then deleting the previous versions.

So far (fingers crossed) this has stopped the problem re-occurring

John

JSaunders 51, Jul 18, 2018
Thema:

Cursor Selection Scrolls Erratically in Microsoft Services

1. Cursor Selection Scrolls Erratically in Microsoft Services - Similar Threads - Cursor Selection Scrolls

2. Cursor moves erratically or not at all.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor moves erratically or not at all.: Using Lenovo MK820z all in one WIN 11 Pro 64 bit with Microsoft Wireless comfort keyboard 5000 and Microsoft wireless mouse 5000. Aggravating as hell - please help...
  3. Cursor moves erratically or not at all.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cursor moves erratically or not at all.: Using Lenovo MK820z all in one WIN 11 Pro 64 bit with Microsoft Wireless comfort keyboard 5000 and Microsoft wireless mouse 5000. Aggravating as hell - please help...
  4. Erratic Cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Erratic Cursor: All of a sudden, my cursor has gone crazy. It will go into a continuous scroll pattern. It will print the letters in a word I enter...backwards. It will not stay where I put it. We purchased a new Mouse and that did nothing. We have done shutdown many times...power off. I...
  5. Erratic Cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Erratic Cursor: All of a sudden, my cursor has gone crazy. It will go into a continuous scroll pattern. It will print the letters in a word I enter...backwards. It will not stay where I put it. We purchased a new Mouse and that did nothing. We have done shutdown many times...power off. I...
  6. Cursor moving erratically on the screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cursor moving erratically on the screen: The cursor on my screen has started moving erratically lately. It happens randomly. One moment my cursor will be behaving itself for a few hours and then all of a sudden, it'll start moving erratically all over the screen. There are even visuals on the screen that looks like...
  7. Erratic behavior, especially the cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Erratic behavior, especially the cursor: I have an older Toshiba Satellite Laptop. It has Windows 10 Home. Intel core i5-4210U, 6 GB RAM, 750GB HD. Internet is via Wi-Fi. About 2 weeks ago, half of the key board stopped working... I have a mini keyboard so I plugged that it and was able to use. A few days ago,...
  8. Erratic mouse cursor behavior.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Erratic mouse cursor behavior.: My mouse is having a tendency to chage icons when transitioning from windows or over text. Gets stuck on different cusor icons and sometimes two parallel lines that are vertical. Ive checked windows updates and even done a reset of the pc resetting the OS....
  9. Mouse scrolling erratically

Mouse scrolling erratically: All of a sudden this morning my wireless mouse is scrolling erratically. It moves a few lines in one direction then reverses and moves in the opposite direction. It continually does this so I can't get where I want to. Thanks....
  10. Erratic scrolling

Erratic scrolling: I use a dell windows 10 laptop and my pointer automatically points towards the top left portion of the screen and this problem persists in every application i try to open.I tried to unistall my keyboard and mouse driver,ran it in safe mode,tried troubleshooting the hardware...