Windows 10: Custom build spits Machine_check_exceptions and Clock_watchdog_timeout

Discus and support Custom build spits Machine_check_exceptions and Clock_watchdog_timeout in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Two weeks ago I build a pc and from the start I've been trying to diognose what's wrong with it. It crashes at seemingly random times while running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Phycs, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Phycs Win User

Custom build spits Machine_check_exceptions and Clock_watchdog_timeout

Two weeks ago I build a pc and from the start I've been trying to diognose what's wrong with it. It crashes at seemingly random times while running nothing special at all (steam, chrome, spotify, bittorrent). Most of them are Machine_Check_Exceptions, but sometimes it's also Clock_watchdog_timeouts.
    At first I thought it was a driver problem. So, I used Driver Booster to download new drivers. That did not solve the problem and actually made the system very unstable. After that I did a format and just waited until windows started installing the drivers. This worked fine at first, but the same problems came back after a few days. I've updated the bios to the latest version and never done a OC on the machine. A few things that came to my attention while researching, but don't seem likely to be the problem are:

• When putting the thing together I bend one of the USB3.0 port pins. I have bend the pin back and inserted the cable into the port. The ports in question work well and send over data at speeds I would expect.
    • The CPU cooler I've chosen is very heavy and could be installed improparely. This was one of the things I've found on wikipedia when researching this. However, the CPU runs idle around 35-40C ( 95-104F). I don't know what the temps are when the system crashes, though.
    • I have run memtest86+ for 9h and it gave 0 errors
    While writing this post (~30min), the system has had two Clock_watchdog_timeouts while being idle. Sometimes, the BDOS data collection gets stuck around the 60% mark.Attachment 61512

:)

Phycs, Jan 29, 2016

2. Repeated Blue Screen of Death

PLEASE HELP!!!

I think I may have discovered the deadliest blue screen of death ever.

I installed the drivers for an Epson XP-400 printer, restarted my computer, ignored a message saying that some network drivers failed, and then as I was listening to music on iTunes I got a blue screen of death. It's been a few hours now and I've repeatedly
    had a total of 8 different error messages.

These being:

1. IRQL_not_less_or_equal

2. clock_watchdog_timeout

3. system_thread_exception_not_handled

4. memory_management

5. machine_check_exception

6. kmode_exception_not_handled

7. system_service_exception

8. page_fault_in_nonpage_area

*sometimes (NTFS.sys) is added to the end.

Some of these errors happen while starting up, shortly after starting up, while in Windows recovery and while loading Windows recovery.

ScottSiddons, Jan 29, 2016
  3. Edwin94 Win User
    Blue Screen (Machine_Check_Exception) issues

Hi, I have a issue with my Windows 10, I was playing online games, and suddenly my pc crash with blue screen and it says machine_check_exception.

Any solutions to prevent blue screen MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION to occur again?

Edwin94, Jan 29, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

It is recommended to not use ports where the pins are bent/broken

5. Phycs Win User
    I unplugged the cable. After ten minutes I got a Clock_watchdog_timeout.

Phycs, Jan 29, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    I didn't say it was the cause, only that it is recommended to not use it as it may cause more instability.

Are you running the tests suggested?

7. Phycs Win User
    Yes, I've ran memtest86+ before without error and I did chkdsk on my drives. Windows fixed an error on my mechanical drive. After that my mechanical drive started to make a strange noise. It had a rythm to it and it kept repeating that rythm. Just to be sure I turned of the pc.
    Still running the other test.

I do remember something about Prime95 having a bug with skylake processors, so I don't know how useful it is to run this.

Phycs, Jan 29, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

Another question for MemTest86+, how many passes completed with Memtest86+?

I remember that too, you can run the IntelBurnTest fortunately *Smile

9. Phycs Win User
    I think about 5 or 6 passes, but I'm not sure. I only know for sure it was about 9h.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try intelburntest.

Phycs, Jan 29, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    You didn't read my suggestions?

In my first post of this thread I am clearly suggesting a couple of tests to try including IntelBurnTest.

11. Phycs Win User
    I read the first post again and now I've seen you've mentioned it before. My bad.*Zip

Phycs, Jan 29, 2016
  12. Phycs Win User
    I've tried the intelburntest multiple times on increasing difficulty. All the tests passed.
    I tried seatools. The short drive self test and short generic test all passed. While preforming long generic test, the pc crashed with a Machine Check Exception. I then started running the furmark test. It ran pretty well. The video card ran at around 60C. I could not finish the test though, because I got another MCE. While running furmark I was also running the seatool long generic test.
    I not convinced it's the harddrive's fault, though. The harddrive has been in a previous pc with windows 10 and it never gave errors.

I'm now running Memtest again.

Phycs, Jan 29, 2016
  13. axe0 New Member

14. Phycs Win User
    I read the troubleshooting guide. I have tried multiple configurations. All with the result of bsod's.
    I just reinstalled windows 10 again, hoping that this might solve it.

Also, I've send an email to the shop I bought the pc if it might be still possible to return the motherboard and CPU.

Phycs, Jan 30, 2016
  15. axe0 New Member
    Ok, please keep me posted *Smile
    I'm very curious how your system will act after the reinstallation.

Thema:

1. Custom build spits Machine_check_exceptions and Clock_watchdog_timeout - Similar Threads - Custom build spits

2. bluescreen clock_watchdog_timeout & machine_check_exception

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bluescreen clock_watchdog_timeout & machine_check_exception: Hello there. I have been facing a problem with a blue screen for a long time now, and I can't seem to solve it. The blue screen appears on average once every three days. But sometimes, after one blue screen, several others appear in a row. It's unlikely to be a Windows...
  3. bluescreen clock_watchdog_timeout & machine_check_exception

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bluescreen clock_watchdog_timeout & machine_check_exception: Hello there. I have been facing a problem with a blue screen for a long time now, and I can't seem to solve it. The blue screen appears on average once every three days. But sometimes, after one blue screen, several others appear in a row. It's unlikely to be a Windows...
  4. CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD on new build

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD on new build: I recently replaced all the components in my Digital Storm and have been running into the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT blue screens from time to time. Not when I'm just browsing, only when I've been playing SW: TOR, not a very graphics-intensive game, which I uninstalled and...
  5. Computer Keep Crashing under Clock_Watchdog_Timeout as well as Machine_Check_Exception,

Computer Keep Crashing under Clock_Watchdog_Timeout as well as Machine_Check_Exception,: The former is more frequent but I am getting infuriated with the constant crashes I am receiving, below are the two most recent Minidumps, as of me creating the ticket, of both Clock_Watchdog_Timeout and Machine_Check_Exception respectively.Machine Check Exeption:...
  6. Computer Keep Crashing under Clock_Watchdog_Timeout as well as Machine_Check_Exception,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Keep Crashing under Clock_Watchdog_Timeout as well as Machine_Check_Exception,: The former is more frequent but I am getting infuriated with the constant crashes I am receiving, below are the two most recent Minidumps, as of me creating the ticket, of both Clock_Watchdog_Timeout and Machine_Check_Exception respectively.Machine Check Exeption:...
  7. New custom built PC keeps getting a BSOD: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New custom built PC keeps getting a BSOD: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION: Around mid-January, I built my first PC with the help of my friend who assisted me. I didn't start getting BSOD of Machine_Check_Exception but now recently I've been getting them out of the blue even when I'm working on final projects. Today I got it 3 times less than an hour...
  8. New custom built PC keeps getting a BSOD of MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New custom built PC keeps getting a BSOD of MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION: At Christmas I built a brand new PC. Over time I keep getting a BSOD of MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. At first it was only happening ever so often, but now I blue screen multiple times a day. Same Error. Below are my specs and screen shots of the errors I am getting. I am stuck...
  9. BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT on New PC Build

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT on New PC Build: Hi all, Built a new PC about a month ago and since then I have been plagued with an intermittent CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error. Happens usually when playing games like Hearthstone or TF2. Also has happened right after a reboot. I have tried to update any drivers in device...
  10. Brand new Build. BSod CLock_Watchdog_Timeout and Freezes.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Brand new Build. BSod CLock_Watchdog_Timeout and Freezes.: I spent all weekend building up a new computer: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. machine check exception Clock Watchdog Timeout memory management error