Windows 10: Custom Built PC - BSOD During Windows 10 Installation

Discus and support Custom Built PC - BSOD During Windows 10 Installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm having ongoing issues with getting BSODs while attempting to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a new PC that I just built. Here are the specs:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by draiko913, May 2, 2016.

1. draiko913 Win User

Custom Built PC - BSOD During Windows 10 Installation

I'm having ongoing issues with getting BSODs while attempting to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a new PC that I just built. Here are the specs:

CPU: AMD FX-9370
    MB: Gigabyte GA-990FX-GAMING
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770
    HDD: 240GB OCZ Trion 150 SSD
    RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600
    PSU: Corsair CX600M
    Heatsink: Corsair H100i V2

Here is the background on what I've tried so far. Initially, I installed everything and booted into the bios to make sure the RAM and HD were recognized as well as checking the CPU temp. I didn't adjust any settings within the bios. Everything looked good, so from another computer, I used the windows download tool to create a bootable USB to install Windows 10. Booted from USB, got to the screen where you select the drive you want to install windows to and then it started copying and preparing files. Somewhere around 50% of preparing files, I received a BSOD. I believe it was a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error. So I rebooted and tried again. It got a little further this time, somewhere around 80%, and then another BSOD.

I figured that maybe I had a bad installation USB so I used the tool to download and create another USB and tried it again. This time, I got all the way through the installation but every time it tried to boot, I was getting a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. So, I took everything apart, re-seated the ram, video card, processor and all connections (sata, usb, power, etc). Booted again and tried to install and this time, I couldn't even get to selecting the drive, it gave me a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bsod right after selecting the version of windows to install (choice between Win 10 Home or Pro).

So, I've started replacing parts one by one to see if something else was bad but all installations are failing during the step of preparing files for installation, with one of the following errors:
    CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

These are the items that I've swapped out for troubleshooting:
    Motherboard -> replaced with another new GA-990FX-GAMING board
    HDD -> Swapped with a 120GB PNY CS1311 SSD
    RAM -> Tried installing with only 1 stick installed at a time, swapped between the two I have

Tonight I'm going to try and load all available drivers for the MB, Video Card and HD (if available) prior to the installation. I already checked that I have the latest BIOS version as well. Any other thoughts on what might be going or suggestions of things to try? I'm sure the next question is going to be to provide logs from the BSOD, but how do I do that without the installation completing and being able to boot into windows?

:)

draiko913, May 2, 2016

2. Windows 10 installation on custom built PC

See the section of the article how to perform a clean install by booting from USB media:

How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, May 2, 2016
  3. Windows 10 installation on custom built PC

So I recently built my PC and I booted it up first time and text appeared onscreen telling me to hit Delete or F11 to enter the BIOS. After that message it told me something about my memory/ storage and gave me the option to look over the parts installed
    or enter the bios. Not knowing what to do I put in the USB for Windows 10 and nothing appeared onscreen so I turned off my PC and turned it back on. Now nothing appears onscreen and the monitor can't detect any input. I tried switching monitor cables and checking
    my own cables and it still isn't showing anything onscreen, however the fans are spinning

Any ideas?

Also, the PC won't turn off unless I hold the power button for a few seconds or turn off the power supply.

MemeCrisps, May 2, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Please post here: Forum: BSOD Crashes and Debugging.

Follow the directions at the top of the forun and top of each thread or post:

Custom Built PC - BSOD During Windows 10 Installation [​IMG]

I suggest just copy and paste all the info in your post here into the BSOD thread.

Ztruker, May 3, 2016
  5. kipper Win User
    Have you tried a different USB port.........

Sounds like a driver error and since this is a new build I am thinking that you might have a problem with the boards native drivers that could be causing a problem with the USB itself.......

The Crash Crew here are great and once you provide the requested information as asked above you will get to the root of the problem and a sound solution.....of that I am confident......

kipper, May 3, 2016
  6. draiko913 Win User
    So it actually ended up being that both sticks of ram were bad, so even when I had taken one out and then swapped them, I was still getting BSODs. I ended up pulling a 2GB stick out of my older computer and then the installation went fine and everything booted up ok. Just went back and exchanged those sticks and now everything is working perfectly.

draiko913, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Custom Built PC - BSOD During Windows 10 Installation - Similar Threads - Custom Built BSOD

2. Installing windows 10 on custom built PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing windows 10 on custom built PC: I’m trying to install Windows 10 operating system to my custom built PC. However, when I select the 64 bit, I get stuck on a screen with a black background the blue windows logo, and the white dots make a complete circle twice before they get frozen and stop moving. Why does...
  3. Installing windows 10 on custom built PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing windows 10 on custom built PC: I’m trying to install Windows 10 operating system to my custom built PC. However, when I select the 64 bit, I get stuck on a screen with a black background the blue windows logo, and the white dots make a complete circle twice before they get frozen and stop moving. Why does...
  4. Installing windows 10 on custom built PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Custom built PC reboots during triple AAA Games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Custom built PC reboots during triple AAA Games: Hi, I built my own PC about 6 months ago. Since then I have been unable to play any triple AAA titles, such as, Fenyx Immortals Rising, Cyberpunk 2077, and even small steam games like Valheim. I can play other games like Apex legend, Valorant and Age of Empires. But tripple...
  6. Custom built PC BSOD very intermittent

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Custom built PC BSOD very intermittent: Hello everyone, I'm back again with another BSOD issue. I have a little low powered custom built PC I made for a friend, which has been working well for a long time (about a year), but recently has stated bluescreening. Sometimes the PC will boot fine and work for days,...
  7. Windows 10 on custom built pc not working

Windows 10 on custom built pc not working: I recently built a pc woth 2 terabytes on storage and booted it up. when I went to install windows ten after i put in the code that i bought and using the flash drive i bought and was using the next screen was saying that no drivers were found. It was tbe flashdrive i bought...
  8. Windows 10 Install on New custom built PC not working

Windows 10 Install on New custom built PC not working: Here are my components: Ryzen 9 3900x MSI MEG X570 Godlike Motherboard Nvidia RTX 2080 ti Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB SSD 64GB 3200 Ram 2x32 So I built my PC yesterday after the final parts came in. I installed windows 10 Pro using the Windows Media Creation Tool on a...
  9. Custom PC Crashes During Install

Custom PC Crashes During Install: Hello, I recently built my first PC, and it will be my first Windows computer as well (coming from an iMac). I bought a USB install of Windows 10 (full version), and I’ve gotten it to begin the install process, but once it gets past the language selection and the key and...
  10. Windows 10 activation on custom built pc

Windows 10 activation on custom built pc: I got a new computer and bought a windows key, when installing windows it asked for the key and now it says its not activated, so I put the key in again and it says it was already used. Please help me activate windows....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. custom pc bsod