Windows 10: Custom default Wallpaper for new users after installation

Discus and support Custom default Wallpaper for new users after installation in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey all, I know about the method for creating the default profile for users by sysprepping during the install but after installation how do I change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by bojimuncher, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Custom default Wallpaper for new users after installation

Hey all, I know about the method for creating the default profile for users by sysprepping during the install but after installation how do I change the default wallpaper new users will see upon first login without using GPOs?

So far I've found the C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows\img0.jpg file and replaced it with my company's wallpaper but then saw that new users were still getting a cached version of the default wallpaper. I saw the cached wallpaper location was under %AppData% and checked under the default profiles appdata and couldnt find any cached wallpaper setting there, and checked under where the lockscreen wallpaper is cached under C:\programdata\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData but couldnt find anything there either.

Thanks for any help!

:)

bojimuncher, Mar 8, 2016
  2. DaGbyte Win User

Windows 10 displays default wallaper with external monitor

I have a user that has windows 10 (standalone - no domain). She has an external monitor attached to her laptop. From time to time, the wallpaper, with no rhyme or reason, will revert to the default windows wallpaper. If she closes the lid of the laptop then
    opens it again, it comes back, only to revert back to the default after a time.

The OS is installed via MDT. During the build phase, until you activate Windows, you cannot display the custom wallpaper. If you connect an external monitor, it displays the custom wallpaper, but still disallows customization until you activate. I have confirmed
    that you must activate before you can set the wallpaper, but I find it odd that closing the lid displays it.

windows is actiavted if you are wondering - just stating the anomaly...

Any ideas on why the wallpaper craps out, but comes back? Pretty frustrating......

DaGbyte, Mar 8, 2016
  3. My Samsung Focus Flash freezes sometimes when I get a text message...are Microsoft and Samsung aware of the issue and working to repair it?

I've tryed with default wallpaper (no customizations after a hard reset) and the problem remained. You are lucky, I guess. Custom default Wallpaper for new users after installation :)

Geraldo Dal Berto Jr, Mar 8, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Custom default Wallpaper for new users after installation

The wallpaper new local users will see when their accounts are created and they sign in first time will most definitely be the one set in Audit Mode if the COPYPROFILE component in answer file is set to TRUE.

This also applies to those Microsoft account users who have disabled theme sync. MS account users with theme sync enabled will always see their own synced wallpaper when account is first time signed in.

All MS account synced settings replace any customizations made to the default profile.

If your local users will not see the company wallpaper, you have done something wrong.

Kari, Mar 8, 2016
  5. Sorry I should have worded that better. I meant that while I know of that method to change the users desktop in Audit Mide, I am looking for a way to change the default desktop users will see if Windows 10 is already installed on the machine.

Thanks

bojimuncher, Mar 8, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Kari, Mar 8, 2016
  7. The value that is in that registry entry is the correct one that is leading to the correct image, but there is a cached version of the previous image that is being displayed whenever a new user logs on to the machine.

Thanks,

bojimuncher, Mar 8, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

I am quite sure this would work, although it involves a bit more work. If you give it a go, please realize you do it at your own risk. I would test it first on a technician machine. The procedure is based on the fact that you can sysprep an existing Windows installation.

• Boot to Audit Mode with command %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep /audit /reboot in an elevated Command Prompt
    • Customize the default user profile as you wish (theme, background, screensaver, File Explorer view settings, icon settings and spacing and so on)
    • Create a simple answer file to copy customizations to the default user profile:
    Code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend"> <settings pass="specialize"> <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile> </component> </settings> <cpiCustom default Wallpaper for new users after installation :eek:fflineImage cpi:source="wim:X:/sources/install.wim#Windows 10 Pro" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" /> </unattend>[/quote] Change the following details if needed (see the parts in red in above code):

• The value of variable ProcessorArchitecture must be "amd64" if you are installing a 64 bit Windows regardless of if you have an Intel or AMD processor, and "x86" if you are installing a 32 bit Windows
    • The value in CopyProfile tags must be True if you want the customizations to be copied to default user profile
    • On the last line of code, change the location of Windows 10 install media. In this example the media is on drive X:
    • Following the install media location, separated with #, see that you have the Windows version correctly (Windows 10 HOME, PRO, EDUCATION or ENTERPRISE)
    Save the answer file to C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep folder naming it unattend.xml. Now sysprep with command %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep /generalize /oobe /reboot in an elevated Command Prompt.

From here on, all new user accounts will get the customized defaults. Notice that this will not affect already existing user accounts!

Seems complicated and involves some time and effort but it should work.

Kari, Mar 8, 2016
  9. Thanks Kari!

I was thinking that audit mode could've only been ran during installation for some reason. It was a pain in all sorts of nether regions having to run a bunch of PS commands listed here (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2769827) to uninstall .Net packages installed only for the Administrator user to get it to work and then go through setup partially again but it worked and now I have a computer I can image so I wont have to go through this again so many more times.

Thanks again!

bojimuncher, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Custom default Wallpaper for new users after installation - Similar Threads - Custom default Wallpaper

2. Customize Default Profile for AzureAD Users?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize Default Profile for AzureAD Users?: Hello, Is there a way to customize the Default Profile for AzureAD Users? We have a Windows 10 image that we captured using CloneZilla Lite Server. That image was then configured by changing the settings, default apps, items pinned on Start menu and Taskbar, as well as...
  3. Windows bootable disk but with custom wallpaper after install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows bootable disk but with custom wallpaper after install?: I run a very small family owned Computer repair/building company in my free time. Something I would love to be able to do was have a bootable windows drive that automatically installed a custom wallpaper. The wallpaper is just the company logo. What I've been having to do was...
  4. ActionCenter: No Quick Actions as Domain-User with a custom Default User-Profile

ActionCenter: No Quick Actions as Domain-User with a custom Default User-Profile: Hello, for a client, we made a Windows 10 1903 WDS Image, which is distributed over network in the domain. For the default user profile, we made our customizations, which were copied afterwards via sysprep to the Server (\\xxxxxx\NETLOGON\Default User.v6\) After logging...
  5. Customized wallpapers inside the ISO?

Customized wallpapers inside the ISO?: Hello Guys, I just wonder if is possible to have customized wallpapers inside the ISO... Because I actually do not like the wallpapers offered in windows 10... So I just wondering if is possible to do so. All information provided will be highly appreciated. Thank you all who...
  6. Customize Edge for default user profile

in Browsers and Email
    Customize Edge for default user profile: Hello All I would like to know what settings can be customized in Edge and copied to default user profile. So it will be available for all user logging to the machine. I tried to customize Edge, set a home page and display the favorite toolbar for example. However after...
  7. Location of the default wallpaper?

Location of the default wallpaper?: Where is this wallpaper stored? also, where can I find the different resolutions of it? Thanks!. 10255
  8. Editing the default wallpaper

Editing the default wallpaper: Sorry if this has been posted, but would it be possible for any talented graphics people to change the default wallpaper from blue to red, assuming it's easy to do? 20542
  9. Custom desktop wallpaper disappears after every update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Custom desktop wallpaper disappears after every update: Hi there, I run a small business with 8 computers running Windows 10. Each computer has multiple user accounts and my own administrator account. All users have a custom desktop background with the company logo and I use a different variation of it so I know the Admin...
  10. Customize Default User Profile for New Accounts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Customize Default User Profile for New Accounts in Windows 10: How to: Customize Default User Profile for New Accounts in Windows 10 How to Customize Default User Profile for New Accounts in Windows 10 [img] Information Default User Profile is stored in a hidden folder in main profile folder Users. When a new user is created,...