Windows 10: Custom file extension not working on Windows 10

Discus and support Custom file extension not working on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I added a custom file extension (".custom" for example) to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes, and set its value to "batfile", so it would run as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 666173742d63617, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Custom file extension not working on Windows 10

I added a custom file extension (".custom" for example) to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes, and set its value to "batfile", so it would run as a batch file. This works fine on all my machines, except the one running Windows 10. I get an error: "This app can't run on your PC", when I try to run anything with my custom extension ("file.custom" for example). The solutions online say to disable Windows SmartScreen or enable App Side-loading in the settings, but I do not have a Windows SmartScreen option available and App Side-loading is already enabled. One solution said that if you don't have the Windows SmartScreen option in Settings, then disable it in Windows Defender, but my Windows Defender is already disabled.
    I tried changing it's value to "txtfile" and it worked, but I couldn't change it back. Now, any time I make a new file extension, they all open as a text file regardless of what their value is. I've tried restarting the computer. I don't understand what is going on. Can anyone help me solve this issue?

:)

666173742d63617, Sep 10, 2017

2. How to open .D0A (read as D zero A ) files in windows?

The files with the above mentioned extensions contain data which is entered in a windows custom application. The maximum size of these files is 1 MB.

daddyyankee_30, Sep 10, 2017
  3. sad-icus Win User
    How to set custom icon and keep the default app icon form overriding?

Custom icons have been created for an App. All Icons are correctly associated with the App extension file types, except for one. The App always defaults to the original App icon and not the custom icon. How to set custom icon and keep the default
    app icon form overriding?

**Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings).**

sad-icus, Sep 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Custom file extension not working on Windows 10

Just considering Smart Screen:

You should consider whether disabling a protective element of the OS is worth it.
    How to Disable the SmartScreen Filter In Windows 8 or 10

If you have Win 10 Pro up, you could use group policy.
    Available Windows Defender SmartScreen Group Policy and mobile device management (MDM) settings (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

http://www.askvg.com/tip-how-to-disa...in-windows-10/
    mentions a reg edit.

You could also try accessing the Defender interface irrespective of whether Defender is disabled or not.

dalchina, Sep 10, 2017
  5. That's irrelevant, because I said I don't have a SmartScreen option at all to disable or enable.
    Also, I can't access the Defender interface, because it's disabled.

666173742d63617, Sep 10, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Did you actually read what I posted for you?

A registry edit does NOT require Defender. Does it?

No, you launch... Defender? No. The registry editor.

If Windows is complaining about your custom stuff and Smart Screen, then surely smart screen issues are worth looking into.

Good luck. Bye.

dalchina, Sep 10, 2017
  7. The registry edit did nothing. When I launch Defender, it doesn't open, because it's disabled. I have no SmartScreen options to look at.

666173742d63617, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Custom file extension not working on Windows 10

1. Custom file extension not working on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Custom file extension

2. HEVC file extension for Windows 11 not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEVC file extension for Windows 11 not working: SO here it is Dec 31st and I have the same problem with not being able to read the HEVC files on my Windows 11 system either. I downloaded the version from the Microsoft Store and installed but can't file the app on my system anywhere. Downloaded it 3 times, but nothing. I...
  3. HEVC file extension for Windows 11 not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HEVC file extension for Windows 11 not working: SO here it is Dec 31st and I have the same problem with not being able to read the HEVC files on my Windows 11 system either. I downloaded the version from the Microsoft Store and installed but can't file the app on my system anywhere. Downloaded it 3 times, but nothing. I...
  4. file extensions

file extensions: Hello İ have win 11 installed and first thing I see is i can't open files like .iso .py etc.when I look at these files types it says like Windows.IsoFile for iso files and Python.File on .py files and it's really annoyingcan anyone help me how to fix it i put some examples on...
  5. Custom Cursor extension for Android Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom Cursor extension for Android Windows 10: Ok so, I know that it isn't really a question, I just saw a locked question about it, so I'll type my reply here. I had the same question; How can I use Custom Cursor extention? I downloaded it, I did everything I could, I just couldn't use it. And the answer is: U see that...
  6. File extensions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File extensions: I downloaded some files from the internet and it won't allow me to change their file extensions note: i already tick the unhide file extension under folder options. The files are just greyed out and changing the file extensions just reverts them back to their original file...
  7. Associate a file extension in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Associate a file extension in Windows 10: Hey, I have just installed Endnote X9 Referencing Manager Application on my second pc.. It has created a icon for it and the program opens up and I am able to access the usual link through Word. My issue though is when I download the citation reference from my web site,...
  8. file extension

file extension: hi, i don't know why but when i'm trying to set .pas extension by PASCAL app it is not sett, i'm trying again and again but nothing is received https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-extension/9a8a6899-ad06-4c39-a55d-06371f2ec60d
  9. CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?

CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?: Windows 10 keeps changing icons associated with custom file extensions. It seems arbitrary because some new file types do work, others work for a while then randomly change. How to correctly create CUSTOM file extensions and have a CUSTOM icon associated to the extension?...
  10. File extension

in Windows 10 Support
    File extension: How can I add a new file extension windows 10 Don Cole 73899