Windows 10: Custom File Icons?

Discus and support Custom File Icons? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've got a program that creates various file types; some of these are associated with the program and display its icon. Is it possible to keep the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by nigelmercier, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Custom File Icons?

I've got a program that creates various file types; some of these are associated with the program and display its icon. Is it possible to keep the file association, but change the icons for some of the associated types so they stand out in a listing?

If so, then ideally I'd like to extract the icon from the exe, make three slightly different versions, and make these display (at all scales) for the three main file types. Any suggestions for tools to do this? I have Photoshop CS5.

:)

nigelmercier, Jan 3, 2016

2. How to use a custom bashrc file or where the file used by the system is located on Windows 10.

I understand now that we wont be able to edit the file under windows. Right now I guess I'm stuck with vim to edit the bashrc file. I hope that in the future we'll be able to edit files using external programs such as komodo edit.

JoshSchweigert, Jan 3, 2016
  3. How to use a custom bashrc file or where the file used by the system is located on Windows 10.

Original Title: Bash rc file

With the integration of bash in the latest update, I was wondering if anyone had figured out how to use a custom bashrc file or where the file used by the system is located.

JoshSchweigert, Jan 3, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Custom File Icons?

topgundcp, Jan 3, 2016
  5. nigelmercier, Jan 3, 2016
  6. b1rd Win User
    Hey nigelmercier-

I'm not sure that I completely understand your question. Are you wondering if you can change the icon to certain folders, which may or may not have already been customized by their respective programs that are within it? If so, yes you can, but I wanted to make sure i understand your question before I type it all out.

b1rd, Jan 4, 2016
  7. Stephanie Win User
    Hi nigelmercier I to am not sure that I completely understand your question but about any Icon can be changed in Win 10 *Smile

Custom File Icons? [​IMG]

Stephanie, Jan 4, 2016
  8. Custom File Icons?

No, it is the file type icons I want to change. The program uses its icon for certain files, I want to expand on that in the same way that Word has different icons for different types of Word files (templates, documents, macro enabled documents etc have slightly different icons)

nigelmercier, Jan 4, 2016
  9. b1rd Win User
    Yeah, what I was going to suggest won't work for that. Sorry.

b1rd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Custom File Icons?

1. Custom File Icons? - Similar Threads - Custom File Icons

2. File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon: I changed my default folder icon to a custom one of my preference so that all folders use this icon.I did it by following the steps in this reg edit method below"How to Change All Default Folder Icons in Windows 11 At Once" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tC04Nb8UUgTheres 3...
  3. File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon: I changed my default folder icon to a custom one of my preference so that all folders use this icon.I did it by following the steps in this reg edit method below"How to Change All Default Folder Icons in Windows 11 At Once" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tC04Nb8UUgTheres 3...
  4. Box Drive's placeholder file's custom icons or overlay icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Box Drive's placeholder file's custom icons or overlay icons: Hi,Based on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/shell/how-to-create-icon-handlers article we have implemented a change of custom icons of various files in the Windows file explorer. When same is being used for box synced folder placeholder file's callback for...
  5. Box Drive's placeholder file's custom icons or overlay icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Box Drive's placeholder file's custom icons or overlay icons: Hi,Based on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/shell/how-to-create-icon-handlers article we have implemented a change of custom icons of various files in the Windows file explorer. When same is being used for box synced folder placeholder file's callback for...
  6. Box Drive's placeholder file's custom icons or overlay icons

7. Program made custom icons for file types

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Program made custom icons for file types: Hi there, i downloaded an image viewer called "Imageglass", but when i make image files open in imageglass by default, imageglass changes the icon of said file type. Is there any way to fix this? https://imgur.com/a/MzDYbSx <--- picture showing what i mean I set jpg files to...
  8. Can I customize the ISO file icon?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I customize the ISO file icon?: Can I customize the ISO file icon? Let's say I have several movies that are all ISO file. And I want to match each movie to its icon. Is there a possibility? 149497
  9. CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?

CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?: Windows 10 keeps changing icons associated with custom file extensions. It seems arbitrary because some new file types do work, others work for a while then randomly change. How to correctly create CUSTOM file extensions and have a CUSTOM icon associated to the extension?...
  10. Custom icons for individual files

in Windows 10 Support
    Custom icons for individual files: How can I change the icon for an individual file? For example, I have a phonelist.docx Word file on my desktop and would like to change the icon from the default Word icon to a telephone icon. How can that be done? 33083