Windows 10: Custom Folder Icons in Windows 10

Discus and support Custom Folder Icons in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I hope everyone is fine. I want to assign custom icons to my folders related to Movies, TV Series etc. I know how to do it but how do i make these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sani, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Sani Win User

Custom Folder Icons in Windows 10

I hope everyone is fine. I want to assign custom icons to my folders related to Movies, TV Series etc. I know how to do it but how do i make these custom folder icons permanent so wherever i copy paste the folder the icon goes along with it. I researched about it and did follow one method where he said to remove the folder location from desktop.ini file but it isn't working for me. Whenever i copy and paste the folder to some other drive the icon goes away and it just reverts back to windows own folder icon. Even though the ico file is in the same folder.

Is it even possible in Windows 10? Basically, i want to set custom icons for my TV Series folders. If someone is using custom icons in Windows 10 please help. Thanks in advance.

:)

Sani, Aug 8, 2017

2. Cannot copy folders with their customized icons anymore

Since the last Windows 10 update, I cannot copy anymore folders retaining their customized icon: the icon gets reset systematically to the default one. How can I reset this feature to as it was before (i.e. folders were copied with their customized icons)?

JMFJMFJMFJMF, Aug 8, 2017
  3. how to set a permanent custom folder icon in windows 10?

in earlier version of windows, i can set the custom folder icon to permanent by editing the "desktop.ini" file, with simply erase some part of the icon file address into
    iconresource="icon name".ico,0. it works in win 7, 8, and 8.1. now i use windows 10, i can apply a custom folder icon, but it will revert to default folder icon if i copy or move the folder to another place. i don't like this, you can say, i HATE this
    side of windows 10. tell me! how to make it permanent?

Muhammad IsfanTauhid, Aug 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I think a workaround or way of overcoming this problem was found in a thread discussing copying folders to USB drives. I can't find that particular thread just now.

However this is interesting with a couple of 3rd party tools suggested:
    Folder attributes/customization lost on copy or move in Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary Update)

Workaround:
    Permanent Custom Folder Icon Problem - Windows 10 Forums

One thread from this forum: This seems to cover most workarounds mentioned above
    Problem copying customized folders - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Aug 8, 2017
  5. Sani Win User
    I just tried FastCopy mentioned on this thread and it's working. Icons stayed intact when i copied the desired folder to another drive in Windows. Thanks a lot for sharing the threads.

By the way, do you use any method to overcome this problem as you also asked about this on these threads?

Sani, Aug 8, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    My involvement was simply curiosity- it's not been a real problem for me. Annoying how change isn't always a good thing, though.

dalchina, Aug 8, 2017
  7. Sani Win User
    Hmm. By the way, I just TeraCopy too for this purpose by my own and it's also working for this cause. I think i will stick with it because it has a better UI.

Sani, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Custom Folder Icons in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Custom Folder Icons

2. Can't customize folder icons in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't customize folder icons in Windows 11: I am trying to change the icon of a folder on my computer and it doesn't work.I go to properties/customize/change icon and I choose an .ico file I have in a folder. When I click on "apply" the icon changes, but then it reverts back to the default.I also tried with an icon in...
  3. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  4. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  5. Cannot customize folder icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot customize folder icons: Firstly, I am sorry if this was posted before, I saw many similar, but I could not find the solution.So, I am downloading icons .ico and I am trying to customize my icons Windows 11, but the same was happening since Windows 10. When I go to the properties of the folter, there...
  6. Cannot customize folder icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot customize folder icons: Firstly, I am sorry if this was posted before, I saw many similar, but I could not find the solution.So, I am downloading icons .ico and I am trying to customize my icons Windows 11, but the same was happening since Windows 10. When I go to the properties of the folter, there...
  7. How to customize folder thumbnails to fit custom folder icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to customize folder thumbnails to fit custom folder icons: Hello! I have changed icons of my folders to "horizontal type". I want to ask if it's possible to "customize" folder thumbnail to fit my new horizontal icons. (example image below). (My windows version is 20H2) [img] 175981
  8. Custom Folder Icons issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Custom Folder Icons issue: Hello, I'm totally new to this community so I don't know if I'm posting it in the right topic. I'm making customized DVD shape folder icons for my movies. As long as it is PNG it's fine. When I convert it into *.ico with "Any to Icon" and export it to my desktop it is fine...
  9. Windows 10 folder CUSTOM icon

Windows 10 folder CUSTOM icon: Hi, I am new, so apologies if this is the wrong area to post in, I have set a 'Custom icon' via the folder properties file (Select folder, Right click, properties,etc) and I can see the image I want but it is surrounded by a folder still I was wondering if there is a fix or...
  10. Custom Icons for This PC 'Folders'

Custom Icons for This PC 'Folders': Custom Icons for This PC 'Folders' ----- I first posted this as a reply to a tutorial but then I noticed it is better suited here ----- First of all, thanks for this guide and all other guides that eliminate the junk that's just useless and irritating. I don't need...