Windows 10: Custom Folder Icons on a NAS Network Drive?

Discus and support Custom Folder Icons on a NAS Network Drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Greetings! Quite some time ago I went the extra mile in making custom Folder Icons for quite a lot of my stuff - Mainly because it's easier to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Durahl, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Durahl Win User

Custom Folder Icons on a NAS Network Drive?

Greetings!

Quite some time ago I went the extra mile in making custom Folder Icons for quite a lot of my stuff - Mainly because it's easier to navigate the content when watched from a TV more than an arm length away as even with magnification it's kind of a pain in the ass looking at the small print.

Now... I recently decided to get myself a NAS ( FreeNAS ) for backups but also general ease of file handling but after I copied my Files and Folders over to it I noticed that the barely any Folders with the custom Folder Icons show the Folder Icon I set for them.

Can anyone point me at the problem that I'm facing or how I can ensure for Network Folders to show their custom Folder Icons regardless from which PC ( be it the one the custom Folder came from or another one ) attached to the network I access them?

Thanks in Advance =)

:)

Durahl, Aug 8, 2016

2. How can I customize individual folder icons in Windows 10?

You're welcome.

Easy way is to customize a demo folder in your desktop, and copy the desktop.ini file over to the folder in your NAS drive. Be sure to change the icon path references though... For example, you use a custom .ico file that's stored in *your* system which
    the desktop.ini references. If any other user access the NAS the icon wouldn't be shown for them. It's best to copy the custom .ico file to the NAS, change the paths in desktop.ini.

Or, use folder picture, instead of icon. Simply drop your preferred image file into the folder and name the file as folder.jpg or folder.gif. If both exist .jpg takes precedence..

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 8, 2016
  3. laurie_g Win User
    How can I customize individual folder icons in Windows 10?

Great! Thanks so much. Hopefully will have some time soon to test this out. Will report back if I get it solved.

L

laurie_g, Aug 8, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

It depends on if FreenNAS allows you. I would check their forums to see if anyone has done anything like that. The problem with FreeNAS is that it has to run off of a SD card, USB Thumb Drive or DVD, which contains the actual OS. The hard drives are just storage.

bro67, Aug 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Custom Folder Icons on a NAS Network Drive? - Similar Threads - Custom Folder Icons

2. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  3. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  4. Custom folder icons on Networked drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom folder icons on Networked drives: I have literally hundreds of folders on several networked drives that I created custom icons for. As of the 22H2 Windows 11 Pro update, they have all disappeared. If I roll back the update, they all appear again. Has anyone else encountered this, and does anyone have a fix...
  5. Custom folder icons on Networked drives

Custom folder icons on Networked drives: I have literally hundreds of folders on several networked drives that I created custom icons for. As of the 22H2 Windows 11 Pro update, they have all disappeared. If I roll back the update, they all appear again. Has anyone else encountered this, and does anyone have a fix...
  6. Network 2 and NAS drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network 2 and NAS drives: I have recently had to install a new router. Windows 10 now indicates that my network is Network 2 and denies me access to my WD NAS drives and their attached USB hard drives. I should be grateful for any advice....
  7. Network 2 and NAS drives

Network 2 and NAS drives: I have recently had to install a new router. Windows 10 now indicates that my network is Network 2 and denies me access to my WD NAS drives and their attached USB hard drives. I should be grateful for any advice....
  8. Network 2 and NAS drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Network NAS drive

Network NAS drive: I bought a new laptop on Feb 1. It had Windows 10 installed when I got it. I set everything up and installed my personal stuff and set the wifi adapter to "private" in the network and sharing options. Everything was fine. I had direct access to my WD MyCloud NAS storage...
  10. NAS drives and network

NAS drives and network: Hi All I have a WD EXultra2. I have a laptop (5yr old samsung) running Win10 I have a fairly new PC running Win10 My laptop can see my NAS drive no problem and can access everything on it. My PC has recently decided to not see my NAS drive - no reason that I can...