Windows 10: Custom icons for individual files

Discus and support Custom icons for individual files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I change the icon for an individual file? For example, I have a phonelist.docx Word file on my desktop and would like to change the icon from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by desertman, Dec 7, 2015.

1. desertman Win User

Custom icons for individual files

How can I change the icon for an individual file? For example, I have a phonelist.docx Word file on my desktop and would like to change the icon from the default Word icon to a telephone icon. How can that be done?

:)

desertman, Dec 7, 2015
  2. ChezG Win User

Setting custom text tones for individual contacts does not work when messaging tone not default

I changed my global text tone back to default, but the individualized text tone still did not work. Just in case, I changed the contact from a synced Google contact to an Outlook contact and also rebooted my phone a number of times. No luck!

ChezG, Dec 7, 2015
  3. Setting custom text tones for individual contacts does not work when messaging tone not default

Still outstanding.

Numerous others with the same issue;

How can I fix my custom text tones on contacts? - Windows Central Forums

&

Custom SMS tones in Win10 Mobile? - Windows Central Forums

Put beautifully in a post from the last link;

"So one thing I discovered is that if you leave the default SMS tone as-is (not custom), then individual custom SMS tones that you assign to contacts *do* work. There seems to be a conflict when you change the global default SMS tone, and it overrides
    the custom contact tones.
    Hmmm...
    "

Ringtones can handle this, why not messaging?

Big_Daddy_V, Dec 7, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

You could make a shortcut to the docx and change the icon on the shortcut (right click, properties, change icon).

lx07, Dec 7, 2015
  5. desertman Win User
    Thanks for the tip.

Does that mean that it is impossible to change the icon for "real" files, only for shortcuts?

desertman, Dec 7, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    lx07, Dec 7, 2015
  7. desertman Win User
    ... in other words: it is simply not possible to change the icon just for one individual file (file meaning file, not shortcut to a file) - correct?

desertman, Dec 7, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

If you were a programmer you could write an icon handler.

Apart from that it is impossible unless there is some third party tool that does it.

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Custom icons for individual files - Similar Threads - Custom icons individual

2. File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon: I changed my default folder icon to a custom one of my preference so that all folders use this icon.I did it by following the steps in this reg edit method below"How to Change All Default Folder Icons in Windows 11 At Once" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tC04Nb8UUgTheres 3...
  3. File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Custom Icon & Details Pane Custom Icon: I changed my default folder icon to a custom one of my preference so that all folders use this icon.I did it by following the steps in this reg edit method below"How to Change All Default Folder Icons in Windows 11 At Once" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tC04Nb8UUgTheres 3...
  4. Is there a way to increase the seize of individual icons?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to increase the seize of individual icons?: As title: i want to have different icon dimensions in my desktop. Is there a way (even a third party app) to change the seize of individual apps? Of course I'm on windows 10 submitted by /u/Dave1907 [link] [comments]...
  5. Applying icon packs to individual users

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Applying icon packs to individual users: Hi all, So I've used 7tsp to apply a custom icon pack to my system. Works very well with the custom theme I use. However, my partnet has an account on my computer that she uses and all the icons are changed for her as well. Since she's using the default Windows theme...
  6. Onedrive - individual files

Onedrive - individual files: 1909 18363.1016 Is it possible to sync individual files in onedrive? 164032
  7. How to change individual file icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change individual file icon in Windows 10: An icon has attached itself to an MP4 file that I created and it bears no relationship to what the file is about and I want to remove it. Windows 7 had an option to change the file icon, but windows 10 doesn't. Most of the searches online relate to windows 7 or to change...
  8. Assign individual app for individual .url files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Assign individual app for individual .url files: I'm starting to seriously question the intelligence of the people who design windows 10, but anyway. I've been doing some looking, and it seems you can't set an individual .url file to launch with an individual program. As far as I can tell, you can only set GLOBAL default...
  9. Custom File Icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom File Icons?: I've got a program that creates various file types; some of these are associated with the program and display its icon. Is it possible to keep the file association, but change the icons for some of the associated types so they stand out in a listing? If so, then ideally...
  10. CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?

CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?: Windows 10 keeps changing icons associated with custom file extensions. It seems arbitrary because some new file types do work, others work for a while then randomly change. How to correctly create CUSTOM file extensions and have a CUSTOM icon associated to the extension?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. individual file icon