Windows 10: Customising the Different Image Files on Windows 10

Discus and support Customising the Different Image Files on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello Guys, I am trying to customise the various image files (bmp, gif, jpeg, jpg, png, svg, tif and tiff) on Windows 10 and noticed the following:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by YanAndrew, Mar 12, 2017.

1. YanAndrew Win User

Customising the Different Image Files on Windows 10

Hello Guys,

I am trying to customise the various image files (bmp, gif, jpeg, jpg, png, svg, tif and tiff) on Windows 10 and noticed the following:

• the bmp, gif, png, jpeg, jpg and svg files are all programmed to use the same icon. Changing the icon for one will result in the other image files using the same new icon; and
    • the tif and tiff files cannot be changed.

The way I do it is I use File Type Manager to locate the default icons key for each file in the registry and change the icon from there (this is because File Type Manager hangs whenever I try to change an icon using it).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could go about:

• customising the different image files to use different icons for each one; and
    • changing the tif and tiff image file icons?

Much appreciate any guidance / advice.

Thank you,
    Andrew

:)

YanAndrew, Mar 12, 2017
  2. David_86 Win User

sysprep does not copy Default Program settings

Hi

I am creating a customised Windows 10 Enterprise v1607 image. I am using the copyprofile setting in an answer file for sysprep and I have customised the Administrator profile, but it is not copying the Default Program settings such as default browser, pdf
    viewer, emailer etc.

Why is this happening? Bug or feature? How do i fix it?

David

David_86, Mar 12, 2017
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Windows I still have Windows 10 after performing a 'Factory Reset'

Windows itself has a Reset function which should remove all customisations and restore Windows 10 to its base condition.

If however you invoke an Asus supplied factory recovery it is based on an image file placed there by the manufacturer. This as a separate image is not upgraded internally when Windows 10 was installed and remains as Windows 8. So using that file will return
    it back to a true factory load i.e. 8

HairyFool, Mar 12, 2017
  4. shimshom Win User

In the case of Tiff files and if I understand what you want correctly try this: create a folder in My Document or elsewhere on the OS drive and put the icons you wish to use for the different formats there. For Tiff go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TIFImage.Document\DefaultIcon and change the Default string value on the right from the path shown to the path of the icon you wish to use by Shift + right click the icon you want copy it as path then paste it as the new string value without the quotes. I haven't tried the others but I imagine you can do the same to other formats by going to their appropriate registry locations such as for jpeg go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon or gif HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\giffile\DefaultIcon. Do copy and store in a notepad the original path before changing so can revert back if you wish and don't forget to restart your computer

shimshom, Mar 12, 2017
  5. YanAndrew Win User
    Hello ShimShom,

Thank you for your reply.

Do the icons need to be in the same drive as the OS? I keep my icons in a different partitioned drive.

The other thing is I am actually looking for ways to change the other image files to use different icons, but I cannot at the moment because they have been programmed to use the same one so for example, if I changed .bmp file to use icon1, the .png, .jprg, .jpg, .gif and .svg files will also use icon1. So I need to find a way to change it so they can be customised to use different icons.

As for the tif and tiffs, I'll try your suggestion.

Cheers!

Andrew

YanAndrew, Mar 12, 2017
  6. shimshom Win User
    You can probably put the icons anywhere you like but I find it better on the system drive as less likely to change location when moving stuff around. Some of them might be tied up to dll files such as imageres.dll but when I have more time I'll see if I can find out how to change them and post it here but some like png at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pngfile\DefaultIcon can use the same trick so search for them in the HKCR part of the registry

shimshom, Mar 12, 2017
  7. YanAndrew Win User
    Thank you, ShimShom.

Andrew

YanAndrew, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Customising the Different Image Files on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Customising Different Image

2. Different images as backgrounds on different Monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different images as backgrounds on different Monitors: I am currently unable to set different images as backgrounds on my different monitors. This is what I see when I try to do so:I have tried using methods I found in other threads to fix this problem. I have tried switching to duplicate display and back to extend as well as...
  3. Customising File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Customising File Explorer?: How can I get file explorer columns to always open in the configuration I want? So, I want columns to be in a specific order. Size - length - date - etc. When I set them and close explorer they revert back to their original order, how do I stop that? And how do i set it to...
  4. Customising File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Customising File Explorer?: How can I get file explorer columns to always open in the configuration I want? So, I want columns to be in a specific order. Size - length - date - etc. When I set them and close explorer they revert back to their original order, how do I stop that? And how do i set it to...
  5. To Customise File Explorer in Libraries View...?

in Windows 10 Customization
    To Customise File Explorer in Libraries View...?: Hello Community Members PLEASE see the picture enclosed for your convenience and reference about want I am trying to do I want to have when FE File Explorer is OPEN to have a SET-LOOK for EASY-ACCESS So I am ORGANISED in my business and working environment saving me...
  6. Windows 10 Customisation

Windows 10 Customisation: Hi Guys, I was wondering if you can provide me with the GUIDs for the following Control Panel applets (Category view): [ATTACH] Looking forward to your advice / assistance. Regards, Andrew...
  7. Customisation

Customisation: I have been following these customisation threads for a few days now. This is what I've managed so far. [img] Only one thing bothering me now tho, I am using TranslucentTB for the see through taskbar but now any app shortcut I pin to it will not work. The default Windows...
  8. Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10): I am doing a lot of work with umpteen folders and I would find it easier if I could customise the columns in File Explorer instead of having to reset them with each change of folder. So far all the methods I have read just don't work. Before I finally accept that this is no...
  9. Windows 10 Tiles Not Customisable

Windows 10 Tiles Not Customisable: Hey folks, I used to be able to customise windows 10 tiles, however, now the tiles are not customisable. I cannot drag/move the tiles around, resize, uninstall, etc. Here is a screenshot for better understanding of the problem. For this instance, when you right click...
  10. Windows ICD 1703 no longer supports image customisation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows ICD 1703 no longer supports image customisation: One of the tools in the Windows 10 Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) is the Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer (Windows ICD). Up to now, this has allowed users to customise a Windows image (.WIM) file by adding applications or settings, and also producing a USB...