Windows 10: Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep

Discus and support Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; OK, after checking this it seems ADK for Win10 was released 28th of January. I cannot understand why I did not find it this weekend when searching. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ThrashZone, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Kari Win User

Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep

OK, after checking this it seems ADK for Win10 was released 28th of January. I cannot understand why I did not find it this weekend when searching.

2. DavidY Win User

Sorry about that... *Redface

One thing I noticed in the video, is that you use the sysprep command with the /shutdown parameter.

When I tried this at the weekend, using VirtualBox, in EFI mode, then it wouldn't let me press F12 to boot from a WinPE disk at the next startup and would always go back into Windows (which I didn't want).

It did this a few times until I came up with this theory... I think this might be because Windows 8 onwards default to a 'fast startup' which means a shutdown doesn't do a full shutdown, but instead is doing a form of hibernate. So instead I shutdown myself after the sysprep using this command in the command prompt, which seemed to work better as it is a full shutdown.
    Code: shutdown /s /t 10[/quote]

DavidY, Feb 10, 2015
  3. Kari Win User
    [/quote] Thanks for letting me know that @David.

I use Hyper-V virtual machines in making the tutorials, the procedure as described works on Hyper-V. I will give the tutorial a "facelift" today and add alternative Sysprep command for scenarios like yours where the vm cannot be booted with WinPE / recovery disk afterwards.

In your case now before the tut has been updated, use the QUIT switch instead of SHUTDOWN:
    Code: %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /quit /unattend:X:\MyAnswerFile.xml[/quote] This runs the Sysprep with your answer file but stays in Audit Mode desktop when done. Now shutdown or restart simply by pressing WIN+X to open Start system menu and select Shutdown or Restart.
    Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep [​IMG]

4. DavidY Win User

Thanks for that Kari,

Unfortunately I won't get a chance to try it again for a couple of days, but I suspect that Win-X then Shutdown will have the same problem. Restart is probably OK , as it doesn't do a hybrid hibernate. Again this is just my theory rather than something I've tested properly.

DavidY, Feb 10, 2015
  5. Kari Win User
    In any case, use the QUIT switch with Sysprep, then after it has finished you can use the shutdown -s -t 1, or if the WinPE or imaging boot disk is in drive, the shutdown -r -t 1.

6. adamf Win User
    David, to boot from another disk in VirtualBox you can just shut down and add it to the top (by changing the SATA port numbers). For example I just did this this morning to use CentOS to delete junk left over from KB3001652 failed install that I couldn't delete using Windows. VirtualBox will boot the first thing it finds.

Attachment 12386

adamf, Feb 10, 2015
  7. Kari Win User
    @Adam, may I use your screenshot? I am currently working with getting the tut and video up to date trying to get it done today, a lot of work still to do. It would speed my process if I didn't have to install to me relatively unknown VirtualBox only to get screenshots.

8. adamf Win User

Sure - of course. If you want some more let me know.

adamf, Feb 10, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    Sure - of course. If you want some more let me know. If you could post screenshots of the whole process, how do you change the boot order on UEFI vm when it's shutdown, to boot from CD/DVD? I'll add text and arrows *Wink.

10. adamf Win User
    @Kari - here you go.

1. Create VM under VirtualBox like this..
    Attachment 12403

2. Setting for storage are like this - boot from ISO.

Attachment 12404

3. Install Windows, download ADK, make PE ISO as per tutorial.
    4. Shutdown windows from inside the VM (same as normal).
    5. Select your VM (picture 1 above) and click on settings (yellow cog) and then storage tab.
    6. Right click on the icon of the CD (on the RHS of the picture below) and change the ISO from Windows install ISO to the PE ISO that you created
    Attachment 12405

7. Start the VM and you boot into PE.
    Attachment 12402

adamf, Feb 10, 2015
  11. Kari Win User
    Thanks in advance Adam *Smile.

12. Kari Win User
    @Adam THANK YOU!

13. adamf Win User

Pictures updated in previous post (See post #39​) - I tested it and it works fine without EFI (standard set-up).

I tested also with EFI boot and it doesn't work. EFI is not supported by VirtualBox for Windows and for a VM I see no benefit in using it so I'm not looking for a workaround. Worth noting though.

Don't enable EFI here:
    Attachment 12408

Or you'll get this when you boot from your PE ISO.
    Attachment 12407

adamf, Feb 10, 2015
  14. Kari Win User
  15. adamf Win User
    But according to David he have Windows 10 vm in EFI: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...tml#post193797 I just created 2 9926 VM's - one with EFI and one with BIOS. Both installed correctly. I downloaded the Windows 10 ADK and made a PE ISO. The EFI one would not boot the PE ISO while the BIOS one did.

After a bit more testing, to make it work with EFI you have to do this: (I know this is off on a bit of a tangent from this tutorial, but you can boot PE using both BIOS and EFI in VirtualBox only the ISO method doesn't work with EFI).

1. Create a new VHD
    Attachment 12412

2. Make sure it is top of your list by altering the SATA ports. Note: Remember what SATA port Windows was on for step 7!
    Attachment 12413

3. Format it in Windows and assign a drive letter (for example:V)
    Attachment 12446

4. Write the PE Image using MakeWinPEMedia /UFD C:\WinPE_amd64 V: ( https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn293200.aspx )
    Attachment 12415

5. Remove the Windows 10 installation ISO and PE then boots OK.
    Attachment 12418

7. When you have finished with PE disconnect the PE drive and reset to SATA port for Windows to its original value from step 2. The default is zero. Otherwise Windows will not boot.

adamf, Feb 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Similar Threads - Customize Image Audit

2. Will Sysprep clear the audit logs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Sysprep clear the audit logs: Hi,I wanted a confirmation on, Does shut downing instance with sysprep clear the audit logs generating windows event id 1102Regards,Anjani CM* Moved from Community Participation Center...
  3. Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE

Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE: Hi, I'm new to customizing Windows images and I'm confused by something that I hope you can clear up. I understand that audit mode gives OEMs the ability to install software, drivers, customize etc before capturing a master image, and that that this uses a hidden admin...
  4. unable to re-enter audit mode while creating a Win 10 sysprep image

unable to re-enter audit mode while creating a Win 10 sysprep image: Hi I've been in the process of configuring a build of Windows 10 to sysprep, clone and deploy for use with Dells. While working in audit mode (via the usual CTRL + Shift + F3), I accidentally shut down sysprep.exe, immediately after doing this, messages appeared and without...
  5. Sysprep Reboots back into Audit mode instead of OOBE

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Sysprep Reboots back into Audit mode instead of OOBE: IT, trying to create a backup image using macrium although my issues are just for sysprep, At the moment i am just trying to figure things out, so I am installing windows 10 education on SSD (computer has a ssd and a hardrive) then boot into windows and on the first screen...
  6. Audit Customizations

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Audit Customizations: So I'm working on creating a reference image for myself and some friends. The idea was to debloat windows as much as possible. I figured out how to do most of what I need through trial and error, however, there are a few last changes that I just can't seem to figure out....
  7. Audit Customizations

Audit Customizations: So I'm working on creating a reference image for myself and some friends. The idea was to debloat windows as much as possible. I figured out how to do most of what I need through trial and error, however, there are a few last changes that I just can't seem to figure out....
  8. Pinned Icons in Customized Audit Mode

Pinned Icons in Customized Audit Mode: I customized my Windows 10 in Audit Mode and created a answer file by the Windows System Image Manager. CopyProfile in the answer file is set on true In the customization I removed the Edge browser Icon and the Windows Store from the Task bar. I know that pinned Icons at...
  9. Sysprep and Audit Mode questions

Sysprep and Audit Mode questions: I'm noticing some stuff when running sysprep on an image: - I uninstalled OneDrive in Audit Mode, but after generalization it comes right back? Any way to keep it uninstalled? - Windows Updates seemingly gets undone after going to OOBE, and some drivers got reverted as...
  10. Trouble with Windows 10 system image - made with sysprep & audit mode

Trouble with Windows 10 system image - made with sysprep & audit mode: I followed this great tutorial an creating a custom Windows 10 image: Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums Everything worked great and I put the image on several computers and all seemed to be working great - until I realized that...